SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20089141

Advice needed for my desk to control messy papers....

User
18 years ago

Thanks to what I learned on this forum, I just okayed a desk to be constructed that will help me be on top of messy papers. Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures (would have to be scanned in any case).

It is about 64 inches long and 29 inches deep. The keyboard surface is 26 tall and like a piano is 4 inches lower than the rest, which is 30 inches tall. On either side are horizontal "doors" that open up to reveal 4 inch deep spaces to store document boxes. I can't clutter the tops of the doors or I won't be able to access the document boxes so the desk is self-correcting. There are graceful curves that help the aesthetics in the LR but only serve a function in that I can store my camera and uploading cords below the curved surface.

The iMAC with the swivel monitor sits on the higher surface. Directly underneath that surface I was persuaded to have two slim drawers on the grounds that I would love having pencils/checkbook/calendar there. Point of the drawers beside that was to leave space to attach the surge protector behind the drawers.

Some choices are still to be determined-- comments are welcome:

I could have 4 inch drawers instead of 2 inch drawers, but I am thinking I want to keep "slots" under the drawers free to shove papers underneath while I am still working on them--articles I have underlined but don't need to quote for another hour or two. I might even have two distinct slots --so I could keep two projects separate during the work day.

The spaces for the document boxes: I could have a partition defining two spaces under each "door" or no partition. Having no partition would allow for different size boxes. I'm leaning to that option.

I wouldn't even need boxes if I just wanted piles of papers under those doors, but I am thinking that is too inviting just to dump things. I eliminated built-to-match boxes on money grounds. I am actually becoming quite fond of the visually calming Container Store brown cardboard "practice" boxes. (Thanks Talley Sue) But having no boxes built means I could, if I get my mess under control, treat myself to beautiful boxes that would be a pleasure to remove and return each day. And because they are stored inside the desk, whether they are visually calming or not would be immaterial.

One last thing up for grabs is wireless keyboard or not? Expert says they are more trouble than they are worth for my particular MAC. The Apple people say that wireless is more a problem for the tech installer than tech installers like. But that is a different forum, I imagine. All other wires will be covered and out of sight in LR.

Since last July by lurking and posting on this forum, I have really made progress. One of the obvious things I have learned is to grit my teeth and put things away each day in my brown boxes. It still feels odious but I am doing it. I hope with a new desk, ordering my papers become more of a habit and less of a chore. Thanks everyone.

Comments (5)