SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth10029

my (wonderful) new desk

elizabeth10029
17 years ago

Aboiut a year ago I started lurking here and then got up my nerve and began to post my organizational problems with the goal of designing a desk to solve those problems. I got a lot of help from posters here.

My wonderful new desk incorporates what I learned in discussions here over a period of months.

There are two thin narrow pencil drawers which need to be there for structural reasons but otherwise no drawers. On either side of the central work space are compartments that open from the top. If I leave things on top I can't get to what is inside -- a self-correcting organizational aide.

I learned during the course of the conversations here that am a horizontal pile person and so I have Container Store size boxes to put in the storage spaces and pile things there. I have taken someone's suggestion and put each paper or set of papers in sleeves but I leave them loose, not in a binder.

I was having trouble keeping my professional work separate from my ongoing personal stuff I need to deal with intermittently during the day. Solution: Personal stuff is on the right and professional stuff is on the left. A no-brainer.

Each night I leave the desk clutter-free, push my keyboard and mouse in the slot under the pencil drawers and you would never know that during the day all the stuff was spread out and messy.

I'm thrilled. Thank you all.

Comments (8)