SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

Real cooking, it's been so long (pic heavy)

vacuumfreak
12 years ago

I haven't made anything homemade in a long time so I thought this would be a good time (well, I made eggs benedict, but I used the blender for the sauce and bought the English muffins, so it doesn't really count).... I heard we're getting a cold front this weekend (about time if it's true!)... So, I thought soup would be a great thing to have. I made potato soup with cheddar, bacon, green onions, and sour cream. I used the portable induction unit for the whole process and it was great. I love cooking with induction and if I ever get a house, I will not settle for anything less than induction. I cannot remember the last time I used the gas range, except for the oven.... and I barely do that because the toaster oven is just easier.

I didn't use a recipe, but here are the pictures of the process and the final result.

The magic machine:

Cooking bacon (not good in a skillet that isn't non-stick)

chopping garlic and onions

Browning the garlic and onions.... I let the onions get a little too dark, but the heat stopped as soon as I turned the knob down so a bad situation didn't get worse.

Potatoes.... I got one of those stupid palm peelers and I don't like it... it falls off, is hard to control, and doesn't have a little "thingy" for the eyes of the potatoes... I went back to the trusty Titan serrated peeler, which peeled three of my fingers during the process. Not to fear, I didn't use blood as my secret ingredient!

Blending the soup, I tried to leave a few chunks...

Finally, I can eat! I made 2 cheddar biscuits in the toaster oven (bisquick, almond milk, and sharp cheddar, melted butter, garlic powder, and parsley brushed on top) and they were a great side dish with the soup.

Now I've got 2 ham steaks and two bags of split peas to do something with...

Thanks for encouraging me to get back to cooking and posting :o)

Comments (20)