SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cth_1027

Please help with MBR (long & pic heavy)

cth-1027
13 years ago

It's been a struggle (three lost tries) but I think I have this thread with pictures going through this time!

I have have learned a lot from you all in the past few years of lurking. You all have such wonderful homes and much talent. I think I have the basics down but I have a few hurdles in finishing my MBR and would like your input.

We downsized to a condo a few years ago and I have yet to finish one room! The general feel I am looking for in the MBR is a serene, comfortable, non fussy, european, old world, ecletic look with a mixture of furniture, woods and texture. I believe we have the major pieces placed in the room as best as possible. The secretary needs to stay in this room (believe me when I say we have moved that piece to every possible room and wall!)

The full size brass bed stays, we love our night stands (old record cabinets) and 3-way lamps, the ceiling fan is required, and as stated above, the secretary has to stay. The bench at the end of the bed and/or the wing chair can either be recovered or replaced. I plan to put artwork above the dresser; not planning anything above the bed but am open to the idea.

We love the color of the room and I have found a fabric that I will use for a tailored dust ruffle and possibly shams. The fabric is a gray-green and the "white" shows dingy when put near a real white. I would call it more ivory. We are duvet people and if I can not find one ready made I am planning to make one using sheets. A matelasse coverlet will be folded at the end of the bed.

My current hurdles are:

The dresser in the room is ok - practical, classic and currently in place on the second floor (a plus as far as my husband is concerned!). I have, however another dresser sitting in the garage that I was thinking of using instead. It has more of a Mediterranean style and I am not sure it would work in the room as a replacement. Do you think by using Restore A Finish and new handles it would work in there? Would it be too busy looking? Would it be too much of a style change? Or, would you suggest I just RF and replace the handles on the current one. They are both about the same size IRL. The secretary and bench are walnut, one of the night stands is mahogany, the other one painted black, and the current dresser looks like a light cherry. I am not sure what the dresser in question is, possible walnut? (Once all this is decided, I can get to putting the handrails back up in the stairwell!)

The other question is about window treatments. We currently have mini blinds and they work for us. It allows the sunlight in and provides some privacy during the day. I know they are not "in" at the moment but we have not seen any other style that we like. We replaced the room darkening cell shade that the PO had because it made the room too dark in the morning and I didn't want to get up!

I would like to put up stationary panels and would like your ideas on color, texture, and pattern. I do have plenty of the check fabric to make panels if needed. Also, what type, length, and color rod would you use? I was thinking of using rings with some sort of pleated look? I am not a fan of drop cloth curtains - have painted, tripped over and had to fold and store too many in my day to have to see them first thing in the morning and last thing at night!!! Because the secretary needs to stay in that corner (it can be moved a bit more to the right), what do you think the correct stack should be? Would you hang them high to the ceiling or just above the casing? How far wider than the window would work without "crowding" the right side? The ceiling height is lope-sided in this room; the side with the window is 8ft while the wall with the entry door is 10ft.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this. The pictures are a bit small - if you need them larger just ask and I will try to figure it out!

Chris

From the doorway:

From the bathroom door:

From the head of the bed:

Fabric for dust ruffle:

current dresser in the room

potential dresser

Comments (6)