SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bulldinkie

Did Anyone See dr Oz Today?

bulldinkie
14 years ago

What doid they say about makeup,I thought I taped but it didnt tape I know at dialysis hes on in aftern9oon again ,right now in fact but I cant get it here we have sattelite here,Did anyone watch it?

Comments (42)

• patti43
    14 years ago

I just Googled Dr. Oz. I have to go back and read it, but if you click on the lipstick tube on the home page, it will take you to it. I just love Dr. Oz!

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Oz - price of beauty

• Related Discussions

Dr Oz - purslane

Q

Comments (5)
    I have eaten it. It tasts a bit sour, and just kinda... green. Added it to salads a couple times. Added it to spinach cooked a couple times. Not my favorite wild green. I like Johnny Jump Ups (the little early violets) and watercress added to salad in the early spring and wild oxalis in the summer. The Johnnys are a bit sweet and just a bit mucilaginous and the watercress is peppery being a member of the mustard family. The oxalis is sour/lemony so a little goes a long way. For cooking prefer lambsquarter, usually mixed with spinach.
    ...See More

A cute little story about my 7 year old and the Dr. Oz show.

Q

Comments (53)
    Polly, enjoyed your story about your adorable 7 year old. That will be a memory you can cherish forever! I must admit I too thought the "she" who went to the show was your daughter, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of your story. And when posters questioned the lack of a permission slip to go on a trip, I didn't pay too much attention. But then...OMG, the attacks. Totally out of line. Asking for clarification is okay, attacking the OP is not. I will admit I'm more of a general idea person, and as someone pointed out, decorators are more detail oriented. I got the general idea: this was a cherished moment with your daughter and you were amazed at her intellect, which you should be. (BTW, I think you have a creative, high level thinker on your hands, so make sure you are stashing the cash for her college education!) I just don't get the need to attack you because of the way you constructed the sentence containing the pronoun "she". Yes, detailed oriented folks find that irritating, but I just wish posters would have responded in the spirit in which the thread was begun. When you wrote it, you knew what you meant, and were not spending hours editing it for perfection. Most of us would have written it the same way you did. Polly, give your daughter a hug for me, and tell her that someone out there in cyberworld thinks she is a great kid now and has a fantastic future ahead of her. You must be so proud of her!
    ...See More

Oprah and Dr. Oz

Q

Comments (9)
    She's probably donated more to charity and done more than the whole kt put together. I'm not the least jealous of her fame or fortune. If she can use it to help others, more power to her. Life aint fair, she's got the big bucks, I don't. I'm happy she uses her fame to do good things. She doesn't appear to be demanding of praise, that's the drive by media putting a spin on her IMO. I don't put any stock into most of the entertainment area anyway. They already have way to many award shows. There are plenty of people in the back ground that deserve recognition that do good with out the hupla. I'm always going up and thanking locals that have done well. It doesn't matter if you have money (although it helps!) as long as a person moves, does something to make a difference in the way they know best. If Oprah likes to do it by getting OZ his own show, go for it. By contrast there are scuzzes like Howard Stern stirring the feces and hardly a person flaps an eyelid, it really makes me wonder what kind of place the USA is. I think I know.
    ...See More

Dr Oz Today - Bathroom secrets

Q

Comments (33)
    "Elmer, Tub drains are smaller than shower drains. Given the same shower head with identical pressure and flow rate the tub is going to drain at least somewhat slower than a direct shower drain" I looked it up and you're right about size - 1.5 inch diameter pipe is code for a tub, 2 inches for a shower. But I'm going to tell you, in my experience that doesn't matter. I had one of each that needed to be snaked in the last 6 weeks. Perhaps backwards from what you expect, the tub has a 30 year old shower head that predates flow restriction limits (I know because I bought it and installed it back then) and the shower has a brand new shower head with the new California flow standard. The tub with the unrestricted head now flows directly to the drain and goes down, no backup. Same with shower but with much less flow. As I said before, if your tub drain is backing up when showering, it's very likely there's a partial clog that needs to be cleaned out. California has enacted the nation's most restrictive rules for flow restrictions for plumbing fixtures and showerheads. The energy and water savings of these measures are staggeringly huge. Perhaps like so many other things, the rest of the nation will follow California's lead in coming years.
    ...See More
  • wildchild
    14 years ago

OMG I can't believe this guy. Bad enough he promotes faith healing (Reiki) now he's suddenly pushing junk science regarding make-up.

select a pressed powder and open a window when you apply it

Well gosh you are applying it to you nose for crying out loud, what is opening a window got to do with it. LOL Better advice would be don't inhale while putting on powder.

European Union has banned many petroleum jelly products, and experts are concerned they could be linked to cancer

Another fear mongering half truth!

For the record the 2004 ban on petroleum oils reads as follows:

In the European UnionÂs Dangerous Substances Directive (UNECE 2004), in September 2004 banned all petroleum oils with the following caveat: "The classification as a carcinogen need not apply if the full refining history is known and it can be shown that the substance from which it is produced is not a carcinogen."

So the case is only against petroleum jelly which is contaminated with impurities. Petroleum Jelly and mineral oil has never been shown to have a scientific link to cancer.

Then they suggest beeswax products as the "safe" alternative. Well sure unless you are allergic to it. People who are sensitive to bee stings may sometimes be allergic to beeswax. Zinc Oxide is also recommended. Again there are people who are allergic to zinc and products containing it. Vaseline turns out the the most inert product of the three.

This guy is dangerous at worst with his playing on people's fears and most of his advice is stuff anyone can Google for themselves if they are so inclined.
    I know he has a medical degree but "real" doctors don't run around in scrubs outside the surgical unit. He looks ridiculous. He has absolutely nothing of his own to offer. All rehashed and nothing new. A lot of half truths and nonsense.

Saw a video on acid reflux he did. Blabbed about what acid reflux is and advised the woman who asked the question to raise her pillow. A tiny piece of good advice but totally neglected to tell her to get checked out by a Gastroentronologist. So how many people will have their acid reflux develop into esophageal cancer because they will self treat at home with a raised pillow and Tums? Hmmmm?

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

OMG I can't believe this guy. Bad enough he promotes faith healing (Reiki) now he's suddenly pushing junk science regarding make-up.

Yup, Wildchild...He's nothing but another Oprah invention...find someone who talks good on TV, sign them to a contract with your company, tell your faithful followers that this person will do wonders for you, and rake in the bucks.

He's a worthy follower to the diet guy(can't even remember his name - was it Green?), "Dr" Phil and Rachel Ray.

None of their advice is any better than your Aunt Sally's.

• susan_on
    14 years ago

I'm not impressed with Dr. Oz either. Every now and then I try to watch a show of his that has a topic that interests me, but I can't seem to get through it. I think he's dramatic and full of himself.

• bigbaby
    14 years ago

I like him. He had some really good suggestions at the beginning of the year for foods to avoid. Stuff like refined sugar, saturated fats and white flour (whole grains only). I wish I could watch his show but I'm not home from work yet.

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

Don't know about his medical advice but he sure is cute. LOL!

Actually, the GERD thing, my doctor told me pillows do nothing. You should raise the entire head of the bed by putting catalogs or large books under both sides of the headboard. Didn't help, finally ended up taking Protonix.

• alisande
    14 years ago

That's the first time I've ever heard Reiki described as faith healing. Faith in what? Or who? The Reiki master? Let us not confuse Reiki with the "laying on of hands" one might find in certain churches.

I've had several Reiki sessions, and at no time was I asked to call upon any kind of faith. I found the experiences to be profoundly relaxing.

• matti5
    14 years ago

I watch his show on occasion if there is a topic that interests me. I did tune in today and saw the make-up segment. Thought it was a little over the top, like some of his segments can be. How many women make that much of a mess when applying powder. Sheesh, he created a huge dust cloud. I use vaseline everyday on my lips and will continue to do so. My grandmother used it all her life and she lived into her 90's.

While I am not a huge fan of his, I do applaud how many lives he has changed and saved since doing his show.

I too have had Reiki. My GP does both accupuncture and Reiki. I've never associated it with faith healing.

• bulldinkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was just curious I saw previews.But you know like hair spray,if you use every day I can see like it would get in your lungs..cause problems.

• wildchild
    14 years ago

Reiki is not a religion, nor is it based on the acceptance of any religious doctrine but it is spiritual in nature and has absolutely no science behind it.

"spiritually guided life force energy." From a Rieki website.

Lots of reference to spiritual healing and life force. Bunch of double speak. We are not faith healing. We are not a religion. But we are spiritual.

The secret art of inviting happiness
    The miraculous medicine of all diseases
    Just for today, do not anger
    Do not worry and be filled with gratitude
    Devote yourself to your work. Be kind to people.
    Every morning and evening, join your hands in prayer.
    Pray these words to your heart
    and chant these words with your mouth
    Usui Reiki Treatment for the improvement of body and mind
    The founder , Usui Mikao

"The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "life force energy". So Reiki is actually "spiritually guided life force energy."

Nah. Not faith healing because the practitioners refuse to call it faith healing. That of course makes it not so. Follow the money. Call me a skeptic (ie I don't have "faith" in it)

I call it faith healing.

• bee0hio
    14 years ago

I guess this is the first I've ever read a criticism of Dr Oz, but it got me to thinking....

The "affectation" of a dr wearing scrubs..... is sooo lame. I see medical professionals (or wanna-be's) wearing their stethoscopes sometimes in the grocery store ..... same thing: LAME.

So I would definitely ding Dr Oz for that!

Then, recently he made some statement that I thought..... ut ohh..... not right, not the latest, you're out of your field on that one. The details escape me.

Oh, another thing just occurred to me... He's just a wee bit too "touchy feely" for my tastes. But I'm sure many lap that up.

• sue_va
    14 years ago

I don't care for Dr OZ. He may in fact be an excellent physician; I don't really have any idea of what he does outside of the TV show, which I quit watching early on. I consider him, on the show, an entertainer.

I do sometimes watch The Doctors. It is about 50/50 information/entertainment.

And Travis (I think that is his name) does wear scrubs, but he is just so cute he can get away with it. ;-)

Sue

• juellie1962
    14 years ago

I'm surprised to read the criticisms of Dr. Oz. I TOTALLY agree. he's way to touchy feely and the woman on the show just eat it up. (gag me)!!! Like someone else said; total Oprah invention.

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Well, I generally feel, "to each his own". Whatever helps you should be what you do. Regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I liked Dr. Oz at first but I think he goes over the top. That thing about "The Triangle of Death" and how you should never pull a hair out of your nose because it'll get infected and the infection will run up your nose into your brain was presented like it WILL HAPPEN EVERY TIME. I've yanked out a nose hair or two in my 63 years of life and I've yet to have died from it. Maybe now that I've tempted fate by saying it, I will.

I think Dr. Oz should be watched with caution. Don't get scared by some of the things he says. I watched the food show where he showed people climbing up into produce bins and said there were bugs and false fingernails in the bottoms of the fresh bread bins. He talked about how many hands had been on the produce and how even when you peel things, the bacteria gets on the knife blade which then transfers to the peeled version. But he didn't say what to do about it. Wash it? With what? Some say "just water", but how does that kill bacteria. Some say vinegar. Some say vodka (at least you'd be happy hehe). Some say don't buy that stuff they sell to wash veggies in and don't use, like, dishwashing liquid. But Dr. Oz had no opinion on that.

I get a little tired of the emphasis on sex. I'm old. If Hubs got renewed interest I'd just have to move out.

I get kind of tired of that "truth tube", too. And he promotes things like goji berries and other things that are intensely expensive, and they're just food fads. Lots of people don't try to lose weight because they think they can't do it without buying all kinds of expensive things and that's just not true. You can lose weight on beans, garden veggies, lean meats...

There is always a grain of truth in the things he talks about but he just goes over the top. Before you swallow the whole magilla, do some research of your own.

He scares people. Then they NEED some kind of relaxation technique.

I don't like the scrubs, either. Those awful shoes and his bare ankles. Yecccchhhh. I worked for an ophthalmologist for several years and he wore scrubs during surgery but wouldn't be caught dead in them anywhere else. He wore nice pants and shirts, a tie, and a white labcoat over all of that. He always looked nice.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I think dr. Oz is a good showman, no more. I've only watched his show a couple of times. Don't take him too seriously if you watch him. A little makeup is good for the soul. Keep your chin up, Dinkie.

• joann23456
    14 years ago

If I'm going to get my health information from a doctor on television, I'll take Dr. Tim Johnson on ABC!

• ann_in_florida
    14 years ago

I'm not a great fan of Dr. Oz. Like others have said, he is a very good entertainer but not someone I would want for my personal physician. I think many of his remedies and cures cater to the wealthy and I believe he is merely there to startle people and increase ratings.

• hgl_gaylemarie
    14 years ago

I'm disappointed in my KT friends that breath so much negativity.

• Rudebekia
    14 years ago

I don't see too much negativity, just people expressing legitimate opinions. In my opinion, Dr. Oz is 75% showman and 25% good advice. It is completely appropriate to criticize those that hold themselves up as authorities especially in a mass media environment, and to be very careful before they buy into any type of hype. I take Dr. Oz with a very large grain of salt. . .and Oprah, too, for that matter.

• sjerin
    14 years ago

It stands to reason that because cosmetics aren't regulated, they're going to contain some nasty stuff. Unless you get them at Whole Foods or some other such place. What Dr. Oz does is dramatize everything to ratchet up the fear factor for ratings. I too have used Vaseline instead of chapstick since I was very young but don't care to use much else. Again, the big corporations will fight tooth and nail not to be regulated. (The ball's in your court, Wildchild. :)) But then I guess this is more appropriate for HT. Here is an article on the subject from Jan. '08 and a website that investigates make-up ingredients.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/24/AR2008012402135.html

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

• good36
    14 years ago

Bulldinkie just asked a simple question jeez........

• patti43
    14 years ago

I STILL like Dr. Oz! Sigh!!

• foggyj
    14 years ago

This is like a discussion around a "kitchen table", is it not?

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

"I'm disappointed in my KT friends that breath so much negativity".
    I see this as discussion about a TV character.People giving their opinions about the character,just the same as people would have an opinion of any other TV celebrity or a character on a show they might watch.I don't see it as negativity.
    Sjern-Just because you buy something at Wholefoods doesn't make it pure or even safe sometimes.

• bee0hio
    14 years ago

And this little knuckle rap... I'm disappointed in my KT friends that breath so much negativity. ... is what? A positive statement??? Heh!

Yeah, my understanding is like foogyj's a "kitchen table" discussion.

• wildchild
    14 years ago

This is like a discussion around a "kitchen table", is it not?

Yes. Thank you Foggy.

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

Wow, glad I always remembered to take off my stethoscope before I went into the grocery store on the way home from work. Sometimes I do forget and will wear it out of the building into my car, usually after a really bad day. I'm also not changing my clothes on my way home. If I have to stop off to grab something before I go home then I will, in my scrubs. I just don't understand why people think there's something wrong with doing this.

• wildchild
    14 years ago

Kath there is nothing wrong with wearing scrubs all the time even to and from work if that is your uniform.

But that is not a doctor's uniform except when he is in surgery or doing a treatment where they would be the clothing of choice. Do you see MDs at your hospital running around in scrubs when they are not doing surgeries or procedures? Ever see a doctor at the store in scrubs? I haven't.

When I see men or women in scrubs outside a treatment area I think nurse,technician,dental worker or animal care worker. Never do I think "Oh a doctor."

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

Ilene: "I get a little tired of the emphasis on sex. I'm old. If Hubs got renewed interest I'd just have to move out."

too funny!

• Tally
    14 years ago

"Bulldinkie just asked a simple question jeez........"

So, I'm understanding that in a perfect world the "discussion" should have gone like this....

Did anyone watch Dr. Oz today?
    No
    No
    No
    No
    Yes
    No
    No
    No
    Yes

• cindyb_va
    14 years ago

Bulldinkie asked "What did they say about makeup?" I believe she wanted the responses to be from people who watched the show who could tell her what Dr. Oz said about makeup.

Lydia answered in the third post by providing a link to the segment.

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Not to mention that scrubs, the kind that Dr. Oz wears, and shoe covers, too, are worn in the sterile environment of the operating room. I've seen people in scrubs and footies outside the hospital back door, smoking, and right away I think, "NOT sterile any more!" Then I wonder if they go back into a sterile environment in these same clothes and footies.

All that aside, I've worn surgical scrubs when I helped out in the opthalmology OR and they are poorly constructed. I've gotten them on backwards before and not felt a difference in the fit. Dr. Oz does not look good in them, especially when he sits down and there's his hairy calves sticking out. I don't feel they make him look professional at all.

• alisande
    14 years ago

I've read for years that petrolatum (petroleum jelly) creates chapped lips, which is why so many people describe themselves as addicted to ChapStick. They have to keep applying it because it's actually drying out their lips.

Here's one brief explanation:

Petrolatum is usually advertised as protecting the lips from sunburn, chapping and so forth. Petrolatum is mineral oil jelly, and mineral oil causes a lot of problems when used on the skin. It causes photosensitivity (promoting sun damage), and it interferes with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dry skin and chapping. You are being sold a product that creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

I see people wearing scrubs in public places that aren't even connected to the medical profession.Oh wait,that's in Wal-Mart.LOL I don't see how they can be that comfortable.DIL can't wait to get out of her's when she gets home from work.

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

Actually, Wildchild, I see them all the time in scrubs but I work in a hospital, on a med-surg floor. They run around all the time checking on their patients in scrubs, not in surgery or doing a procedure. See them walking down the hall in them, eating in the cafeteria, etc...

• wildchild
    14 years ago

Tally Thank you!!! It is what I've thought everytime I see someone whine about someone elses reply that doesn't fit the agenda.

That is what I always think when people complain about others not answering how they would like them to.

I was recently slapped down elsewhere for the exact same thing. Did you know it is considered rude to share information that may be helpful? "A simple question was asked after all".

So next time I see a post that asks a question I will answer with one word answer. Then they will accuse me of being too terse or something.

For example: Do you think I should see a doctor? Maybe
    Do you think my _____ is being mean? maybe Should I paint the cabinets? maybe

Or perhaps forums topics should only be answered with emoticons. Happy face, sad face or hug.

It's unbelievable to me how so many can people get so emotional over inanimate objects or celebrities etc. on message boards.

• golfergrrl
    14 years ago

No.
    (I'll thank you too, Tally. And WC. I actually wrote something similiar to Tally's to post on another thread, but decided it was a worthless cause. A real kitchen table offers discussions which sometimes segue into other topics. Opinions actually vary. Maybe the name of this place should be changed.)

• sjerin
    14 years ago

Huh, that's interesting, Alisande. I believe I started using it as a very young girl, because my lips were always chapped. I do realize petroleum is very cheap and I don't love the idea of smearing it on my lips every day, but hey, if someone's grandma can wear it 'till she's 90, then I can too, I hope.

Lilliepad--Yes, I know there's no way to know just how pure any make-up is, including that from WF and other health stores. But I would hope that a big outfit like that is checking up on its suppliers since they can't afford to lose the public's trust, being that they charge an arm and a leg for everything. :)

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

I've used chapstick off and on for years and I have found the medicated kind to be very soothing. I don't use it all the time, just when I've been out in the wind. Riding in an air-conditioned car for long distances always chaps my lips too. I have sensitive skin and there are a lot of products I just can't use. I don't wear lipstick except for special occasions and sometimes not even then.

Doris Day (you younger ones probably won't know even who she is though) said at one time that she covers her whole body with vaseline and sleeps in something like a body stocking and gloves. I don't know if she was married at the time but I bet that's a real turn-off for a guy, huh?

But anyway, there are natural alternatives to petroleum products. Good old olive oil, for instance. Or open up a Vitamin E oil capsule and smear it on. I'm not sure about that "Tea Tree Oil" thing though. Is there really such a thing as a "Tea Tree"? It kind of tastes like Castor Oil with almond flavoring in it.

The truth of the matter is, we none of us know what's in some of these products we put on our skin. And yes the makers of these products would most definitely sell us something that's not good for us (and charge us big bucks for it) because they don't give a rip about whatever damage it does as long as they don't get sued because of it. The almighty dollar is always the bottom line.

We must be our own advocates. The best thing to do is to just keep it as simple as you can. Use as many one- or two-ingredient products as you can. Good old witch hazel is what I used as an astringent during my oily skin days. Buy things without fragrance and without artificial coloring whenever possible. The secret to good skin is actually good health.

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

I like this thread! I've yet to sit through a whole show of his. He's far too graphic for me. I remember his very first show was of a woman's "vigeegee" as Oprah calls it.
    That was too much for my taste! I'm not a prude but I don't want to see a close up of a woman's gadget. (sorry Gadgets...that wasn't intended for you! LOL)

He's a scare-monger I think. And yes, his always being in scrubs freaks me out. Too hairy, not sexy, and certainly not necessary.

Like some others said, they wear their scrubs to the store etc., and I think they look kind of cute, walking around in their scrubs.....veterinary assistants, nurses, etc., but I wouldn't want my doctor to wear them, as he only wears them in surgery.

I wonder who will be the next Wonder-Person Oprah brings upon us?

• majaco
    14 years ago

Actually footies are to protect your shoes. You can't sterilize a floor.