SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polly929

A cute little story about my 7 year old and the Dr. Oz show.

polly929
12 years ago

Halloween morning my 7 year old is sitting at my kitchen island as I chop vegetables for the lentil soup I was making for after trick or treating. She was home b/c school was cancelled after the crazy Oct. snowstorm we got in NJ. She says, "You know mom, I notice how you always make foods from the food pyramid."

I inquire, "How do you know about the food pyramid?"

"I learned about it in school," she replies.

Oh.

Then she says, "Ya know Dr. Oz told us it's important to eat healthy."

Now I'm confused, N- "How do you know who Dr. Oz is?"

"I saw him, at school on tape." "What do you mean you saw him at school on tape?" I say.

She replies, I just did.

My daughter offers very little in regards to school happenings, and this one intrigued me. I asked her what tape? Just a tape she tells me.

Then she says, you know if you boil tomatoes for a little while you can easily peel the skin from a tomato to make sauce. You must really like Dr. Oz mom, because I see you do this when you put the tomatoes in the jars.

NOW I'm wondering- whaaat? Where is this coming from? I never even watch TV and she watches iCarly and Good Luck Charlie. I go and check her back pack. Sure enough, there is a letter from her teacher stating that she missed school this past Wednesday to attend a taping of the Dr. Oz show and she got to cook with him. It was about teaching children the importance of healthy eating habits. Not sure when it will air, BUT I can't wait to tune in. And MAYBE finally my daughter will understand why I NEVER take her to McDonalds! And all this time she thought I was just a mean Mommy! HA!

Comments (53)