SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

Moving in 3 weeks - so much to do

marie26
16 years ago

We found the house we're moving to. It's a split level rental with a much smaller living room and dining room than we have now with a separate kitchen. We now have an open kitchen, living room and dining room.

There are 3 bedrooms upstairs and the laundry room and family room are downstairs. DD will use the family room as her bedroom. Except for the family room and kitchen, there is hardwood everywhere.

I now have my desk and computer behind the couch in the living room which I've gotten very used to. The living room probably won't even hold my oversized couch because it's very long and will extend part way into the dining room opening. And I don't see a place to put my computer, even if I purchased a tiny desk. Also, the dining room will maybe hold my credenza and dining room set. It will be a very tight fit if it does.

I will use one of the bedrooms as an office of sorts. It will hold my books, my filing cabinet and my oversized desk.

Any thoughts on my living room/computer dilemma? DH decided he didn't want to use the family room which would hold everything and DD is excited to have that space so the couch, the big screen TV, stereo equipment and speakers need to go on the main floor.

The house has lots of storage areas, though. There are cupboards galore in the large laundry room with space for my second fridge. There are also hidden storage areas.

I will now put all my tools into one of my rubbermaid garage 4-drawer chests and store this in the laundry room. They're presently in smaller plastic drawers and 2 of the rubbermaid drawers. The wires are in the same type of chest and these will also be put in the laundry room.

There is no walk-in closet in the bedroom, just one of those long closets with sliding doors. But it is deeper than usual.

I'd say my biggest dilemma is how I'm going to fit the furniture into the living room and dining room and decide what to do with the desktop computer. I'm definitely not going to go out and buy a laptop even though that would solve my problem.

I also need to really get this house cleaned and the carpets shampooed. Part of me wants to clean the house first and then continue packing although that seems backwards. But a clean house would probably give me more incentive to pack. I just need to find the energy to do it all.

I still need to pack and cull all of my things which includes the dresser, 2 closets and my 3-drawer night table. I keep telling myself that I must get rid of most of my clothes since they are old, tattered, out of style and/or don't fit. I'll be having to get a job after the move so maybe this will be a good time to just buy new clothes for work and start fresh. Sounds good in theory. But why do I always end up keeping old, comfy clothing since I wouldn't want any stranger to see me in them?

I know this is long but any advice on getting this done in 3 weeks is greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations