SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

Design Challenge Old House Addition - How to make it fit

louislinus
10 years ago

Here's a picture of our old house. We are going to do a large first floor addition next spring. We are adding on a first floor master bed and bath, laundry room, expanding the kitchen and takin down the wall between the kitchen and dining room. The addition is going to go on the side of the house opposite the driveway. I can't figure out how to make it not look like we "tacked it on". How do we tie the rooflines together? Our contractor is quite skilled and has loads of experience (we have several close friends who have used him for similar projects). He says we don't need an architect. I believe he has the knowledge but I'm worried about the design and look from the street. Also, there is a little bay window on the front. It's weird. I want to remove it and put in a bank of windows across the front there. It will look amazing from the inside but what about the street? Will all those windows look out of place compared with the other long skinny windows we have?
I've also been considering g shutters? Thoughts on those? Any other ideas you have to increase curb appeal are greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)