SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_2007

Need Help with MB Sitting Room -- Pics

kiki_2007
16 years ago

I am a LONG time lurker, but yesterday -- I posted for the first time! And, then, talk about crazy...I learned to upload photos! All in one day! OK, enough about me...would you smart, talented people be able to help me? I need suggestions for my MB sitting room.

Background: Our MB sitting room is painted BM Gray Lake with white trim. We still have carpet which will "one day" make an exit for wood floors. My Mom recently gave us these two chairs, which I had reupholstered in this soft chenile blue material. (Love!) I had the two accent pillows made as well. (Sort of love.) The mirror is from Baker. (Got it on sale!)

I am going to swap out that little table (between the chairs) for a metal tea cart that I found at Drexel Heritage.

http://www.drexelheritage.com/collection/item_images.asp?id=583-PAR-03&inum=2

OK! Here are my questions:

1.) The room needs something more. Do you-creative HD mavens have any suggestions? Below, I included a pic of my inspiration room as well.

2.) Lamp for chairside table? Any suggestions? Does anyone have a lamp that they love, LOVE, love?

3.) Windows? The left window is so close to the wall; is there anything that I can do? We do have wood blinds on the windows now, so something over that?

OK, is this asking too much? I hope that I am not breaking any rules by asking too many questions? If so, BIG APOLOGIES. Any and all ideas welcome! Thanks! (Three pics below.)

MB Sitting Room:

Close view of fabric:

Inspiration room.

Comments (52)

• teacats
    16 years ago

Wow! Such an elegant and simply gorgeous sitting area!!

And nice inspiration room too! Some bright green or pink accessories in your sitting area would bring a touch of fresh spring to that area.

Perhaps switch the pillows to a bright green? Or even bright pink? OR simply add a soft throw in the opposite color?

And look for a vintage-inspired curvy white glass lamp (similar to the shape of the white vase in the inspiration photo) AND switch the orchid to a vivid-colored glass bowl.

All of these vivid-colored accessories can be seen at most of the shops around -- check T.J. Maxx or Marshalls .....

To imitate the look of the artworks on the closet doors of the inspiration room -- check out some silver-and-white or blue-and-white fine wrapping paper -- and frame it for the left-hand wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: White lamp

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, such fast replies! I love all of these suggestions. Thank YOU. (And, thanks for the compliments. Talk about a confidence builder.)

Mclarke --I do need an area rug. Great suggestion.

Teacats - fabulous idea re: lamp. I am tempted to order right now.

I found this area rug...what do you guys think? But, ugh, I do need to break out of my monotone shell and the rug is white. But, it's fuzzy and comfy...

Here is a link that might be useful: possible area rug

• Related Discussions

Need help with MB tile choices

Q

Comments (2)
    You know what, sherwhy, There have been unglazed hex porcelain tiles in my house and they are as white now as they probably were when they were first set in cement, in 1876. In those days, they did not grout the tiles but rather, they set them directly in cement. We have them in the mud room and vestibule where they have seen loads of traffic over the past 134 years. None are chipped, all are clean and crisp looking. So if you like hex tiles, just make sure you get good quality ones, in dense porcelain, none of that porcelain painted ceramic stuff, and you'll be fine.
    ...See More

MB 'update' has become 're-do' (pics)(Xpost to Bathrooms)

Q

Comments (13)
    Oh my gosh. . . you guys are great!! Justgottabeme, I've added pictures of the floor and shower walls, but my thinking right now is that the whole shower stall will come down to the studs and be rebuilt so the issue will be to find tiles for the "all new" shower that will work with the existing floor. Love the idea for the trim in the shower. . .I used some Sonoma glass in my kitchen. . .will check out what they might have. And, for you and Les, I will re-think the mirror (loved the link!!)...I just got really excited about getting another electrical outlet, but I suppose I could have them pull something down through the wall on the right or I suppose I could have a new mirror cut with cutouts for the outlet. . .hmmmm). Dianalo, are you saying a 36"x36" single piece of tile for the floor?? And definnitely not a solid countertop!! Les, the colors you recommended are drool worthy and will serve as my springboard!! I will definitely re-think the mirror. Re: the lights, I had "swag" lights in another( 70s) house and had more than one weak-kneed moment banging them into the mirror when I cleaned the mirror (I am a "spatter" in the bathroom). I do love the ones you linked however!! Another "re-think" issue!! Gsciencechick, thanks for the link...I'll check it out. Anne, I think your son was very lucky to be able to re-use his old tile. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the case with mine. Again, I thank you all so very much for the time you took to think about solutions/ideas and respond. It will probably be at least a month or so before this is all over with, but I WILL provide pictures of the final results!! GWers are the greatest!!
    ...See More

Need help with MB color

Q

Comments (1)
    My bedding has that color in it along with green/burnt red, etc. The colors I used and I LOVE IT and I think it would look gorgeous with your bedding is BM Sierra Hills and BM Sherwood Tan. Both on the same color swatch. I can't post here, I forget how! If you want to see a pic, email me at SCOTTMEL@ZBZOOM.NET
    ...See More

Sitting Room Chair Placement Question (Pics)

Q

Comments (19)
    I would place the two chairs a little closer together semi facing the FP as well as facing each other. The little round table placed on the left side of the chair (if your sitting in the chair) and a smaller square table on the left of the other chair (if tour sitting on the chair) Place a couple of your favorite books that you like to read on these tables. I have a small little table next to my chair in my family room with my favorite books and it, (it also serves as a landing place for my tea cup) In the right corner a small writing desk and chair placed ca-ti corner so that you can glance out the window. On the big wall on the left, two tall large bookcases. I say bookcase because it's so much neater looking than book shelves. Also a small square-ish table in front of the chairs for games, etc. The side-boad, would you consider painting it darker? Perhaps you can place it on the wall between the two bookcases. It looks like you have a couple of small tables in there to use as props, to see if you like my table suggestions. Love the chairs, they are so rich looking as well as the little round table, that's why I see dark furniture, and bookcases in there. Joann
    ...See More
  • kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I love the feedback and suggestions.

Here are a few more photos of the room.

Looking toward the wall, which has one piece of art, maybe it needs more? Like a double-something or maybe even four of something?

Currently, the TV is placed on this desk, but "one day" it will move into an armoire. Ugh, "the list" is so long

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

Those chairs are gorgeous. I like everything the way it is (including the lamp and table)! The only thought I had was maybe something on the floor on the right side? A basket or magazine rack? Rug sounds like a great idea too.

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Everything is so beautiful,so peaceful, so serene! You have done an amazing job. I cannot stop looking at that mirror! What a beauty! It was the first thing I noticed when the picture loaded. It's elegant yet a little quirky!
    Great choice.

Can't offer much advice because I love the direction you're headed in and wouldn't want to suggest anything that might change that. I like teacat;s lamp suggestion, and I think a thick, fluffy white rug would look great with the chairs. The only thing I would possibly consider changing is the pillows on the chairs-maybe something to pull the gold tones from the mirror (a blue/gold small print perhaps)?

• teacats
    16 years ago

Perhaps a selection of prints like these ones? I do like to see sets or grids of prints on walls .....

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- Sir Chambers architecture prints

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

Beautiful room! I love everything about it, except to perhaps suggest a softer window treatment over the blinds. I'd have to leave specific suggestions on treatments to the experts on this board though, as I don't even have any!

Would you mind telling me where you found your beautiful mirror?

• karenn
    16 years ago

i really like that mirror, but i think for this area it might look better to have a larger mirror. maybe in an oval or narrow rectangle shape.

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are blowing me away with such positive comments...I'm practically on cloud nine! Why did I ever wait three years before posting? This is so much fun. Thank you, thank you for all the nice comments.

Teacats - I just love the architectual prints. Those are perfect. And, that lamp, it's also just perfect. I even ran upstairs to measure the HxW.

Juddgirl2 - The mirror is from Baker Furniture. I live in the DC area, so I pop into the Georgetown store every so often. I love a bargain, so I ONLY shop in their basement (it's a clearance room). Best kept secret in Washington! Anyhow, the mirror has two chipped "petals," so I think it was like $75 or $100. Normally it's WAY, WAY more ...like more than 10X. Thank goodness for those chipped little petals! (Which I never even notice).

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I love everything about the room from the wall color, to those beautiful chairs, to the lamps, the accessories, to the LCD TV on the console, the gorgeous dark wood furniture, the beautiful flower pot going so well with the lamp on another table, the white window blinds, the window trim, and the layout of the room. I can't be of any help since I love your room just the way it is. You have wonderful taste and style.

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Did you guys see that antique armoire in a separate post? I would love to find something similar to put my TV in! I can't believe that it's priced so well. Again, thanks for all the postive feedback. I feel more confident about my decisions now!

• polkadots
    16 years ago

What a great sitting area - beautiful! I love the lamp and the prints teacats suggested - seems like they would be perfect in the space. Enjoy!

• msrose
    16 years ago

I think curtains would be pretty in there. I'm not sure how to explain it, but instead of having two panels on each window, maybe you have have just one and pull it over to the side.

Laurie

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Pretty Room. I love love love the colors.

I like the shaggy rug. It's similar to the inspiration picture.

I like the print you have. I think the frame should be wood and not metal. It could be a metallic wood. The metal just seems too cold.

The suggestion from Teacats about framing wrapping paper is a great idea. You can also do the same with wall paper. A row of 3 frames would work great on the larger wall to the right. If you decide to go that route try to make them the same dimension as the panel on the doors in your inspiration picture.

I would place any other prints you find on the smaller wall to the left.

The pillows should be the easy part.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

Great bargain for the mirror. I'll have to see if we have a Baker's clearance basement near me!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Very nice, but I think you need a larger table between the chairs; I see round one, cloth covered. You can use the current table next to the chair/ottoman. The area is very serene, but stark - needs filling in more.

Where is the tv located in relation to the chairs?

More shots of the room and bed area would be nice too. ;)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

The room is fabulous! You did an excellent job. I think the rug you picked would be lovely.

How about some Billy Showell prints in tasteful simple gold wood frames? Her paintings are exquisite, and I'm sorry this doesn't do them justice but you can view them on her web site better to get a feel for the detail if you like them.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Or if you wanted just a touch of color:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There are many more on her site and you might find some you like even better. She also has notecards which could be framed if the size/price were better for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Billy Showell

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I could also see a padded cornice board at the top of each window in something like with a little welting at the bottom this if there's room:

{{!gwi}}

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Kiki, I echo all the comments above. I love your room! Msrose and I are on the same page re your windows. I think a simple treatment like below might be nice. Great job!

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oceanna - I really love the Billy Showell prints. I esp like the first three that you picked out. Thanks for the suggestion. (I never would have known about this artist.) And, my chin dropped when I saw that fabric. Do you know the name and company?

I like both ideas for the windows - the drapery panels pulled to one side or a cornice at that top. I'm going to measure to see which one might be better. We have only a few inches on the left window.

And, I think a fabric covered round table would be a great idea, but I did really like this one form Drexel Heritage. (See link below).

This really is so fun and exciting to get all this input. You guys are a fabulous resource!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chairside table

• teacats
    16 years ago

Love the Drexel table -- bar carts are so hot right now to use as side tables!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing your photographs of your lovely room. It really is a serene place.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I love the mirror. I suggested the round rug to echo the round mirror.

I'm not sure about the fuzzy white rug. I know there's one in your inspiration photo, but those rugs often look great in photos, but in real life they're a tripping hazard. Ask me how I know that, LOL....

I think you also need a cord thingy for under your table... one of those fabric sleeves to run all those cords through, so you don't have to look at them. Yours should match your wall color and run down behind one of the table legs.

For the windows -- how about a full wall of gathered floor-to-ceiling sheers? Is there a view? Do you need to see out the windows?

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Okay kiki, you have some 'splaining to do. Why have you been a lurker since it's obvious you could be helping little old me out the whole time. LOL! Seriously, your room is to die for and you've already done a great job. You don't need our help. ;c)

All I can offer up is the suggestion of a nice big plant in the corner.

Beautiful room!

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Kiki, BTW, forgot to mention that you and I have the same desk. I also echo Lindybarts sentiments about lurking. LOL

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now that all of you have boosted my confidence, I will certainly post more often. Before this I wasn't sure that I had much to contribute, but now, after ALL these wonderful compliments, I'll post all the time.

It's funny that desk was given to us by my mother-in-law and we love it! She had originally bought it for her house, but when it didn't work for her, it got passed off to us. (Lucky us!) I forgot to mention that the white down-comforter isn't always lying on the floor. And, yes, those electrical cords aren't very nice looking. I am hoping to get an armoire one day, which would help the cord-problem, but it's not very high on my list.

Seriously, you guys are so helpful, I feel like I should pay someone here. Hopefully, I can help or offer advice to you guys?

I'm going to work on these ideas offered above...and I'll post "progress" pics.

Oceanna - did you have the name of that fabric? (Even my husband likes it!)

• mclarke
    16 years ago

"Seriously, you guys are so helpful, I feel like I should pay someone here."

Pay me.

I accept payments on behalf of the board.

I promise I will distribute all monies received. It's official, I swear.

Really.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Looking at your photo's it's obvious you have a beautiful home and excellent taste. Can we see more? We always enjoy looking at other people's decorating so we, who have no talent, can get some inspiration.

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

mclarke...lol. Wait, make that (nervous lol). You were kidding, right? I am way behind on payments if you're not kidding.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Kiki, I just learned about Billy Showell myself. I love her paintings! I'm so glad I could make a suggestion you like.

The fabric is on eBay right now. I just put "blue damask fabric" in their search engine and there's lots of pretty ones. Here is the link to that exact fabric for you. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: French Blue Damask

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oceanna - thanks for the ebay link. So, I emailed Billy Showell today. Haven't heard back yet, but did you know that he/she is in the UK? I hope they sell to people in the US.I am sure they do. Did you see the cute prints of asparagus and green onions - perfect for a kitchen. Very cute stuff.

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, and Mclarke - LOL! ROTFL! Yes, payment is on the way. (wink-wink). Actually, I've been replying to posts like crazy today to repay my debt to you guys. My husband thinks that I've joined an online cult b/c I am glued to my computer.

Brutuses - Thank you for the super kind words. Sure, I can share more pics. (Aren't you people sick of me?) I did post a few pics under the Desert Tan and Cork posting. Did you see that one? On my computer it's on page 3 now. Let me see what else I can dig up.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

mclarke, since you're distributing the funds collected, here, let me give you my address...... LOL

• oceanna
    16 years ago

You're welcome, Kiki! I noticed that fabric was over three yards, and that would be 56" wide, so you should be able to get cornices from it and maybe pillows to match. It is pretty fabric. Hope you can get it.

Yes, she's in the UK. I'll bet you can get her prints here, though. I bought a glass lampshade from the UK once on eBay. I was surprised at how quickly it got here (I expected weeks), and that it wasn't broken. The money thing is weird. As a rule of thumb it's about double in dollars. That's how I've learned to judge it when looking at eBay and it gives you a ballpark. If you can't buy from her, perhaps you can find something similar. I just think her work is exquisite. I want to paint some myself and will be looking at her techniques for inspiration.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

kiki_2007
    I am a little behind here... your sitting room is beautiful! Love the french blue fabric..I think that would look perfect! ( great find oceanna ) I had the same chair (looking at the photo, it's on your left) It has a wood "cris / cross back? Thomasville?

looking forward to see future pictures
    Ree

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oceanna - Guess what? I purchased the fabric on ebay! So fun! And, it was only $35! I am shocked, so I also bought a back-up fabric as well. The blue damask you selected is Kravet and it's not a remnant, which is pretty great. The second fabric i purchased was Lee Jofa, which is also great! Thanks for introducing to me the idea of purchasing fabric on eBay! Brilliant idea!

Oh, here are additional pics of my home...since someone asked.

Foyer:

Great room. Lamely we placed that mirror on the mantel, but we need something for that niche/alcove/thing...

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Kiki I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you asked and I found it again before someone else had bought it. I hope it turns out to be just perfect for you... but you should know that colors aren't always as they appear on computers. If it isn't what you want, maybe you can find another use for it or make pillows and gift them or resell it. I've got a bad buying mistake I need to resell on eBay right now. That said, I've made a lot of great purchases off there that made me very happy.

Your home is just beautiful. Very elegant and easy on the eyes.

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

I absolutely love that french blue damask that Oceanna found! I think it will be perfect as cornice boards. I'd try it with just the cornice boards and blinds. If it looks too bare, add some really nice sheers. Country Curtains sells some very pretty glass holdbacks (I've seen them--they're prettier in reality than in pictures) that almost look like seaglass--something about your room (maybe it's the bowl of starfish/coral or the colors)reminds me of a peaceful sea!

Kiki, your home is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the pics. You have excellent taste--very restrained and elegant. I also love your colors. A question about your photography--what kind of camera do you have and did you take the photo of your family room with a wide angle lens? I have such a hard time capturing a full room shot with my standard lens. Also did you use a flash when you shot? Thanks!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Actually, I much prefer the European way you have propped your mirror in the alcove as to something small and pretentious that gets lost in the mix.

I loved that damask fabric but did not want to "jaundice" your eye with my opinions on it, but it is quite beautiful. Since your room is designed on the order of but not in the period as the glam room, I think the bear-skin look rug would not work as well for you as for the inspiration picture. Your room is different in period.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

kiki, thanks for the additional photo's. Your family room is so bright with all that light streaming in. Very beautiful room. I noticed your pretty little bench in the foyer. It looks like one I was considering for my foyer. Of course mine doesn't cost nearly what yours most probably cost. Here is a link. What I like about it, even though it is not an expensive piece and most probably wouldn't stand up to heavy use, is the fact that it has an 8-way tied seat and that's saying a lot for something so inexpensive. Being it will not get a lot of use I think it would be nice for the foyer.

Unfortunately, when I looked at it originally it was on sale and now it's not. I guess I need to keep an eye on it to see if the price goes down again. LOL

Sidenote to "flyingflower" Thanks so much for the instructions on how to copy a link into my message. Yea, it works!!

Here is a link that might be useful: foyer bench

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Kiki,

What beautiful rooms! I love them all. Can't wait to see what you decide with the fabric. Have you thought about doing a very soft blue - almost silver sage color in the MB? I love that color with simple cream/white and blue accessories.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

kiki how high does the niche in the fireplace go up? I'm seeing a beautiful print or a huge mirror in there. I'm a mirror over the fireplace gal.

I keep looking at that beautiful bright room and something is not right to me. I think the furniture placement is not showing off the architectural features of the room. Listen to me, sound like I know what I'm talking about, don't I? Not really. However, I do watch a lot of HGTV (I hear the hisses and boos now) and I do pay attention to what the good designers say about furniture placement.

Can you post a photo of the entire room or if it's too big, the other side that we can't see from the photo you posted?

I hope you don't mind that I want to rearrange your room. It's so pretty, I just want to play with your furniture and accessories. LOL I know there are others with a better eye than I that can chime in to assist me in my quest to rearrange the room so the fireplace and those magnificent windows are not blocked. Les, you out there?

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brutuses - thanks for your comments. (And, thank you to everyone; this has been really fun!)

How about I post a few pics under new thread? I'll put your name in the subject line. I like your idea of a mirror over the fireplace as well, it's just been hard to find something that fits into that alcove/indentation. The measurement for the indented alcove is something like 38W x 47.5H. It can't be too small and it should be "just right" type thing.

OK, more pics coming up...

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I had three mirrors made at my local framers shop after we moved - two for the MBath and one for the powder room. You can get the exact size you want. Price points will vary, depending on the frame you select. They can even do beveled mirrors.

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Allison - that's a great idea. I even have a framer-guy, who I love. I wonder why I didn't think of this? Brilliant idea. Thank you!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Having the mirror frame made will be much easier and less expensive. Can't wait to see it.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

You're welcome! Here's the frame I selected for our MBath mirrors. It actually would look great in your LR. Don't know how fancy you want to go with the frame though - do you want the mirror to disappear in the hole or stand out?

{{gwi:1520536}}

Depending on the price per foot of the frame you select, having frames made usually run more than buying one pre-made: Two to three times as much. But you get the size, style and a piece that's one of a kind.

• levelyn42
    16 years ago

You have great style, your sitting room is beautiful, love everything in there as it is, so clean and elegant. I think having a group of pictures to the right would look good. Also I agree with mclarke about not having the fur rug, I also had two of them many years ago when they were popular, they seemed to just get in the way and having to step up and tripping over them. What is the paint color of your sitting room and living room, very pretty. Your living room is also beautiful, and arranged very nicely. I really like your taste in furniture.
    Evelyn

• kiki_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Levelyn42 -

Thanks for the compliments! The MB sitting room is BM Gray Lake, I really love it. And, even better, it works for this room.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Kiki, have you thought any more about that rug? I'd look for a synthetic that can be popped in the washing machine and will wear like iron. I'm the one who takes several outfits into the dressing room and kicks out the dryclean ones first. lol. My practical nature always pops up.

Can your DH build you the cornice boxes for above the windows? I'm on a new computer and don't have my bookmarks transferred over yet, darn it, but I did have a great video on my old bookmarks that shows exactly how to upholster a cornice box. If you google-snoop around I'll bet you can find it.

I love your sense of decorating. It's absolutely not my style but it's very soothing and easy on the eyes. I can imagine feeling really good inside your house.