SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

What's for Dinner #247

Terri_PacNW
16 years ago

OOoh wheeeeeeeeee...my first starting of this thread...

Tonight will be an attempt at a rice, porkchop casserole...that I found on All recipes. I won't follow it exactly, hence the attempt part..and the fact that I'll be gone while it's baking...

We shall see...

Comments (101)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Celtic, congrats on your first pic, looks good!
    Dishes, I am tempted to make that soup, everyone's looks so good...love the deco..
    Sol, where to start? It all loos great, I am a bread lover..and the coconut ice cream..wow..
    Tonight I made pork cutlets...I bought a loin , cut it thin, pounded out and did them in panko mixed with Ital crumbs. I made an apple with apricot brandy chutney, pierrogi with onions, cheddar, bacon, corn mini muffins, and broccoli.

For dessert, peach bread with blueberries. I used Nancy's recipe but instead of the cherries, blueberries, and added crumbs.

• compumom
    16 years ago

Too many delicious posts to respond to- DH is waiting for me to watch a movie. I made pizza for only the second time.
    I prepared Ann's pizza sauce this morning early and let it sit all day. It was super easy and delish! Since I am so not a dough person(yes, I needed paney camp!)I bought the dough at T.J.'s on Monday. So far so good. Got home from work tonight, took dough out of the fridge to rest for 20 min as instructed. Floured my silpat an tried to roll it into a 12 in circle as instructed. Not good. So I doubled it over and attempted to re-roll. Really not good. I couldn't get it thin or flat enough. Round was out of the question. Toppings were sauteed red onion and 3 kinds of cheeses. I slipped it into a 425 convection oven on my pizza stone and I baked and baked and baked but the dough never tasted cooked inside. Gummy and doughy was more like it. Sigh...at least the sauce was good.
    DH munched his way through raw veggies and we drank our wine. I scraped off the toppings and ate those , but it just wasn't the same. Does anyone have an easier dough choice for me?

• Related Discussions

Idyll 247: Have you tried the newest craze?

Q

Comments (103)
    Good Morning Idylls! Yeah, Im wireless (but still getting used to this laptop). The party NYE was really fun. The food was outta this world and the dessert was a hit. It was everyones last splurge before the start of dieting. We decided not to spend the nite and I was the designated driver this yr so only had 2 glasses of wine. These are special friends and funny as heck. We were sad to hear theyre going to move to TN in the next yr or so but vow to continue to host a NYE party and were all invited. Despite what I said, I think Im ready to put xmas decorations away. Inspired by Cynthia, Wendy, V, Monique and Michelle, yesterday, I spent 5 hrs. in the basement going thru old stuff, reorganizing and labeling Today Ill pick up a couple on-sale storage containers and pitch the limp old, cardboard boxes. I set the DVR so I wont miss any of the Rose Parade. Gosh, I love that DVR. Monique, I have two huge piles of paperwork, too gardening and misc. Ill be weeding thru that in the next couple weeks. Wendy, one of my winter projects is to organize photos, too my own and helping DD with hers. Seems to be no end of projects here to tackle. OK, catch up. T, I like word puzzles. I just cant get my head into this craze. Woody, I loved the pix of your DH and furry friends! Great to have a peak into your world. Eden, Bella is a real cutie! And all that hair! My grandniece just had her first bday and is a peanut by comparison. Shes healthy, but very, very petite (fathers side of the family are all small). Shes seriously entertaining and knows she has everyones attention b/c shes so adorable. Your scrapbook project sounds real interesting. Please make sure you show us your contribution when youre finished. Oh, and how proud you must be of your DD. What a loving thing to do for her sister. You have great kids and theyre all so supportive of each other. Taryn, I loved the pix you shared. You have such a lovely family and everyone looks so happy to be together. And a bum shot! You are so baaaaad, girl! T, your grandson is sooooo cute. Its great you get to spend so much time with him. Im sharing Marians concern about Jerri and the wildfires in her area. Hope she checks in soon. Marian, I understand about the stuffing. Somehow, that day my mind wasnt in geat! I heard from Jain and she said she lost a rose garden to a mudslide, but is grateful for the minor loss in view of the misery in the valley. Cynthia, I can understand how you get caught up with the GH rescue. The pix you posted of Miss Blue do remind me of Monty. I hope shes adopted to a loving home soon. Wendy, the story of your nephews and the desserts cracked me up! You guys must have been hysterical with laughter. Martie, I loved that gift of dinner for a week! Thats so creative. I have such trouble getting my Mom something and usually supplement her gifts with gift certificates to her fav restaurants. She loves them. She and her BF and neighbor catch the lunch or senior specials every week. Mary, good luck to your DS in her new home. How great of you to drive out with her and help with the move. Its been quite a harrowing year for your family and I hope the New Year is full of fun, happy times. Babs, how awful the deer ravaged your gardens! I usually have to find and replant the rhizomes in the back of my garden. They take a taste and usually spit them out 100 yards away. Grrrrr. Sue, EP and Marian, Im amazed and so jealous you can get out and garden this time of yr. Altho it has been unseasonably warm, its just too darned damp and chilly for me to indulge. After the xmas décor is put away, Im going to dive into plant catalogs. Cant wait! Yeona, Barb, great to hear from you, too. Oh and a special thanks to EP for the recipes on the other thread. In fact, thanks to one and all. Im going to copy them to my recipe folder. Sylvia, great idea to make provisions for our pets should something happen to us. Im sure my DD would take Bullet in, but its good to have a plan in place. Marie, the creek is just beautiful! Our show has melted with all this mild (damp) weather. Were in for a cold snap soon. Hope we get some snow to insulate the plants. Eden, my fav movie is "Somewhere in Time" with Jane Seymour and Chris Reeves filmed at our own Grand Hotel up north. I cry every time. Well, where the heck is Deanne? Deanne, were missing you. Hope all is OK. Well, the sales are calling. Have to shower and get this program rolling. Enjoy the extra day off, everyone!
    ...See More

Hungry 24/7

Q

Comments (24)
    Gayle-The only thing I can think of that could be causing you to be hungry is as others have mentioned not enough protein or fat in your diet.You need a little bit of fat to feel satisfied.Doesn't have to be animal fat but one of the good fats like maybe olive oil.You might saute your veggies in it or use in a dressing on salads.It is good that you are eating several meals a day.That is good to keep your blood sugar leveled out during the day. Stoney-Do you use Alli? I have read about it but was leery of the side effects suffered by some people.I don't want to spend that much money then not be able to use it. Ninos-Phentermine is a dangerous drug for a lot of people! The side effects alone scare me to death! I have taken diet drugs before and I would never do it again! Drugs are just a "bandaid".Yes one can lose weight,but get off the drugs and the weight comes back with a vengence! The only way to lose weight and keep it off is change your eating habits. Here is a link that might be useful: Phentermine
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

Good Find? Singer Sewing Machine 247

Q

Comments (25)
    Depending on the age of the machine, it might be fixable. I would oil it well, and see if that helps. It might just be sticking because the old oil has dried up and gummed up the machine. When you turn the hand wheel, does the needle go up and down? The stop on the hand wheel might be on backwards. If you haven't taken it off, then that is not the problem. (That's the metal part that you unscrew to wind a bobbin.) I think about the mid 1960's, they started using plastic parts which would be dying about now. I have a Touch and Sew from the early 70's that still works, but it's been lightly used and always stored in the air conditioning. If you have a sewing machine repair shop, they should be able to repair it. I'm in Dallas, and I go to Mr. Sewing Machine on Harry Hines. They are a Baby Lock dealer, but repair all brands of machines. Just call around and see who will work on it. There are a couple of internet sites you might be able to get help. One is victoriansweatshop.com and the other is quiltingboard.com (vintage machine section). Both of these sites are generally good for finding info on older machines, but your machine might not be old enough to get help there. I don't do Facebook, but they should have some groups that might be able to help you. Look for Singer groups. Also, groups.io has some Singer sewing machine groups. Sorry I couldn't help more. All of my sewing machines are older than yours and I'm just not familiar with it at all. I'll check back and see if any of this was any help. bkay
    ...See More
  • homesforsale
    16 years ago

Michelle~ Look at all that beautiful reserve~ I love the look of things we are perserving..All of it!You've done so much! The post yeast cracked me up:)

Sol..simply splendid and now I must search for Annie's Gratin too of course.

You have lucky youn'uns to be eating like that..I can just imagine Thumper later in life saying to his partner..My mom didn't do it that way:)Just the timbaled rice.. will he ever see that again? :)Too adorable...As I said they are fortunate to be exposed to so much attention..You're such a loving mom.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Sol, my dear, everything looks so damn good, I'm ready to eat it all!

Same goes for Michelle and all her canning, jars on shelves.....such a good feeling. I love the dough rising perch. Too cute.

Kathleen, pork cutlets are one of my favorites and peach bread with blueberries works for me.

Ellen, only trick I know about rolling pizza dough is to let it rest 5-10 min, when it gives you a hard time. Just walk away....it will relax rather than being uptight!

Last night I has the store mgr (from my work) and her DH over for dinner. I was really busy all day in the kitchen. I had peaches that needed doing (more peach butter). I had planned on doing them on Tues but an early morning thumderstorm took our pump out. Kinda hard to can w/o water. I did get lucky and the well guy came right over, so it was all fixed by about 5pm. Covered by insurance since it was caused by lightning.
    For dinner last night I made a marinated tomato cucumber salad with fresh mozz. Hawaiian Bread, Potato Zuchinni Fritters and Gingered Shrimp Cakes. Dessert was a Fresh Peach Pie. On another thread Sherry and Lindac wanted a couple of the recipes, so I'll go ahead and pot them now.

Hawaiian Bread

Makes 1 large loaf or two smaller (9" cake pan size)

3 ounces butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 ounce fresh yeast
    3/4 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup pineapple juice
    4 1/2 cups bread flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Using paddle attachment on mixer, cream butter and sugar.
    Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
    Switch to dough hook, add remaining ingredients, mix 8-10 minutes until gluten develops Round, cover, ferment until dough doubles.
    Punch, round, place on parchment-paper lined sheet pan. (No instructions on the original recipe to let rise a second time...but I did give it a second rise. I used my pizza peel and baked the bread on my pizza stone.)

Bake at 350* (convection) or 400* (conventional) for 20 minutes.
    Reduce temperature 25* and bake until done.

Gingered Shrimp Cakes 1 lb. large shrimp, cooked 4 scallions, sliced, green parts included 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley 1/2 C fresh corn, cooked, cut off cob 1 lg egg 3 Tbsp mayonnaise 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce 1/2 tsp salt Pinch of ground black pepper 1 1/2 C fresh bread crumbs or panko (divided) 2 Tbsp olive oil (or more, for frying) 1 Tbsp butter (with the oil, for frying) Coarsely chop shrimp in bowl. Add scallions, ginger, lemon zest, parsley and corn. Combine mayonnaise, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper and fold into shrimp mixture. Add 1 Cup breadcrumbs and gently mix. Form into 4 patties and gently dredge in remaining 1/2 C breadcrumbs, adding more if necessary. Put on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 min and up to 4 hours. Heat oil and butter in large skillet over med\-high heat. Saute cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 8 minutes. Chile Garlic Sauce To make Chile\-garlic cream sauce, combine 2 Tbsp chile\-garlic sauce ( from Asia aisle at supermarket) and juice of 1/2 lime with 1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche. Spoon about 3 Tbsp of sauce on each plate and place shrimp cake on it, serve immediately. Makes four servings. Variation: Substitute lump crab meat for the shrimp. Nancy
  • sheshebop
    16 years ago

Thank you Nancy!
    Sherry

• User
    16 years ago

Nothing worthy of reporting on here just wanted to say how great all your meals sound and look.

Michelle thanks so much for the dressing recipes and that's a mighty fine looking pantry, I'd keep the door open and show it all off!

Great story Lou.

Kathleen I love pierogy, one of my all time favourite foods.

Tonight I'm making Stacy's Pork Tenderloin with Olive and Caper sauce (one of our favourite dishes), roasted new potatoes, steamed asparagus, yellow beans and the mandatory sliced field tomatoes....whether they "go" or not!

The fall veggies are starting to show up at the market. I love them but they herald the end of tomato season.... waaaaaaaaahhhhh!

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Darn old slowwwwww dial uponly about ½ the pictures will open !!
    But everything sure sounds good .

Nice little dinner guest Lou---

Wish Hubby liked tomato soupthey sure look good.

Most suppers lately have been simple-- based mostly on fresh garden veggies-- lots of salads.
    But actual "cooking" -- only a few times:

Ham & fresh corn chowder ; pork chops- marinated with lots of garlic & fresh ground pepper-- mashed garlic red new potatoes

; a recipe from Robin Miller -- a light version of Spaghetti Carbonara
    , using turkey bacon-- a bit of flour & lofat sour cream instead of eggs--- paired with
    tomatoes , cukes,red onion & fresh garlic minced, just splashed with EVOO & a good basalmic.

Then Tuesday -- well sometimes ya' just gotta-- Fresh Peach ( red havens) & Blueberry pies

--- one for the freezer &
    one for the tummies! Tho should have waited a bit longer for cooling-- was still & bit warm for cutting into

Last night tried a recipe of Emerils

Chicken Apple Sausage Hash but used red sweet peppers
    instead of green and a sprinkle of Chili powder subbed for the "Essence" & over easy eggs instead of sunny side up . Simple & tasty .

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Don't have time to comment on all the Goodies,
    They are all great !!!!!

Ellen: The dough probably didn't warm enough. Or maybe it wasn't right.
    If you roll it out a little and keeps springing back,
    let it be for 5 minutes, then try again. Keep doing that.
    Don't roll it back up. It will go out to where you want.

Try letting it rise a little before you bake it.

If it doesn't rise , then the dough is your problem.

Why don't you mix your own ? it only takes a few minutes.
    It takes time for the dough to rise, so do it when you are going to be home for a little while.

You can make Pre Baked Pizza Dough and freeze them for later. I can tell you how if you want.
    LOU

• compumom
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips, Nancy and Lou. BTW Lou, I would like your easy prebaked dough recipe. As a pizza guy, you shouldknow all of the tricks! LOL!
    No cooking today or tonight, had a great Indian meal at a new (to us) restaurant. Leftovers for lunch tomorrow, lucky me!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

: An alterative to baking on a stone is to use pans. A 12 inch round pizza will take from 8 to 12 ounces of dough. According to thickness you want. After the dough is made weigh it out and roll into balls. Oil the pans and place a dough ball in the pan and flatten slightly, working the dough towards the side of the pan, with the palms.

Then let it rest a few minutes. Repeat this every so often until the dough reaches the side and up, enough for a crust about ½ inch.
    Let it raise slightly , pinch the dough all over, with a fork and put into the oven to bake at 420 deg.
    If it bubbles while baking, pinch it with a fork again.

When light tan specks show ,take them out onto a rack to cool fast. Then you can use them right away or freeze , to use later.
    When cooking the Pizza, place the dough back in the oiled pan , put a latel of sauce on the dough and swish it around, sprinkle some Parmesan or Romano , put it in the oven for a few minutes. Take it out and spread the topping of your choice and the Cheese Topping.

A good topping cheese is a mixture of Mozzarella and Provolone chopped and mixed. The provolone gives it a good flavor and doesn't get like rubber when it cools. I use all Provolone.

A little trick for baking. Keep a cup of water and brush handy, to baste parts that are cooking too fast. If you can get new pans, they have to be cured in the oven, so they won't stick. Coat them with oil and bake them for at least 6 hours. Never clean them with soap and water. Just rinse with water & wipe with a paper towel.

Dough recipe:
    1 cup of warm water (not hot)
    1 Package of rapid rise yeast 2 tablesps sugar
    1/4 Cup of Veg. Oil
    1/2 teasp.Salt
    About 3 1/2 cups Flour
    ½ cup of Whole wheat flour

Place in a mixing bowl, the Water, 1 cup of flour, wheat flour , yeast, sugar.
    Mix a little and let it sit to test the yeast, to see if it rises.
    Add the oil and salt and more flour.
    Add enough flour to make a soft ball of dough, that doesn't stick to your hands.
    Knead until smooth. Put it backing the bowl , Smooth side up and Rub on some Veg. Oil
    Cover and set in a warm place to rise until it doubles in bulk.
    When doubled, punch it down and knead it well.
    Divide into Balls , about 11 to 12 ounces and place in oiled pans.
    Dough should be about 3/16 " thick on the bottom and about ½" around the edge.
    Follow the previous instructions.
    Good luck, Lou

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Well, here I sit, drooling as always!

Holy Moly, Michelle...I have pantry envy in a big way!

Sol, ya got me jonesin' for that gratin...on my way to look for the recipe!

Like several of you, dinners have been simple and unexciting, lately. I did try something new tonight and I actually took some pictures! I have been wanting to try fish tacos for a long time and finally found this recipe that sounded good. It was, and it was super easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes!

Tilapia Tacos With Chipotle Cream, I normally wouldn't serve these with hash browns, but I wasn't sure Tim would like these, so I made something for him, too! I used spinach herb tortillas, as I had them on hand.

{{gwi:1477611}}

And for dessert....a slice of Ann's Apple Tart that I made last night. Definitely a keeper, Ann, and another so simple recipe! Thanks!

{{gwi:1553150}}

Linda

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Something simple and boring tonight.

Baked Stuffed Calamari with a Fish Sauce.
    and some Wheatbread for dipping.

Dessert was Vanilla Icecream with Bananas and Strawberries
    Drizzled with Chocolate Syrup

LOU

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Yah, here too on the boring non-photogenic meals. Though the mostacciolli with sausage last night did taste pretty good.

Tonight was back to the grill: pork tenderloin with a mango salsa, grilled mixed vegetables and grilled corn. DH gets credited a major assist, though flirted with a foul around technique squabbles (who tries to lift the * entire grill* off to move the coals after having the lid shut?? [It is hinged for a reason] And blames the potholders for the resulting burn??!!)

Yum.

• san_
    16 years ago

you aren't behind anything marigene--you are leading the pack! that dinner looks fabulous and i'd love it if you could post the pistachio lemon cookie recipe please! those ingredients are intriguing to me...

and celtic moon--your dinner is something that i would have been REALLY happy to share! nothing there not to like! and ann's and carol's rendition of maggie's soup looks wonderful!

oh sol--those onion and black pepper rolls are simply perfect! not that most of your stuff isn't but if and when i try baking again, those and robin's parmesan/pepper biscotti have to be just about the top of the list. recipe please?

michelle's pantry additions are incredible! i can't believe what you have recently accomplished--congratulations!

and thanx alot for the pizza dough tips, lou. my mother periodically made WONDERFUL pizzas on friday or saturday nights and my attempts have pretty much been flops. maybe your instructions will change that and i'll get around to trying again one of these days--along with some of ann's fresh tomato sauce. i'm sure that would make for a real treat!

last night at the store, i found some HUGE avocados and a few were actually ripe. i used 1/2 of one to mix with some guacamole seasoning for a snack tomorrow and i sliced the other half and spritzed on some lemon and a bit of salt & pepper. both of us were underwhelmed and i added some aged, very good balsamic. the balsamic was great but not sure i'll be bringing home any more avocadoes...but the store also had king crab legs for $10/lb. what a year for crab this has been! i bought 4 legs and steamed them while the butter was melting and called it dinner. i love those things but can't eat them by the pound as i did when i was a kid. just as well i'm sure, as those pounds continue to add up on me. but it certainly was an enjoyable and quick "meal".

• hawk307
    16 years ago

San : I had a few minutes , so I thought I would post another style Pizza Sauce,
    for you or anyone else, who might want to try it and live dangerously.
    This not a Basic Sauce. It is seasoned almost to Sicilian Style, with some modifications.
    ENJOY !!!!!

LOU

Pizza Sauce
    LOUS - SICILIAN STYLE PIZZA SAUCE

I used Canned Pizza Sauce in my Pizzeria, which is crushed Tomatoes and Puree, with Basil.

You can use canned tomatoes but make sure they are Italian or a deep red color.
    I believe most of the tomatoes come from California.
    Some choices are Contadina , Red Pack , Hunts , All Red, = Tutto Rosso.
    A lot of others are orange, red color.
    . INGREDIENTS :
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes and 1 can of tomatoe Puree.

You have to spice to your own taste.
    Start with 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. (add more later to taste)
    1 tablespoon of onion powder.
    1 teasp. Salt.
    3 teasp. Sugar ( add more if too acidy ).Not to sweeten !!!
    An italian pinch of pwd.cloves.
    3/4 teasp. Oregano ( or to taste ) it is strong.
    1 teaspoon of Parsley,

1/ 2 teasp. basil.
    1/4 teasp. black pepper.
    ½ teaspoon + of ( Chicken flavored Soup Base ) Optional
    Large handful of Parmasan Cheese, after simmering about 20 Minutes
    This will meld all the spices into the Sauce.
    Add water; while simmering , if it is too thick.

Continue for Spaghetti Sauce

This recipe can be used for Spagetti Sauce ( maybe you would want to cut down on the Oregano ) also just add a can of Tomatoe Paste and water to thin a little , if it is too thick it will burn easily. It will thicken as it cooks.
    ½ cup of fine chopped Onion.
    And 3 bay leaves . Don't forget the Chicken flavored Soup Base. Add uncooked Meatballs, Sausage and Chicken Thighs, when you start cooking. (cook at least 1 ½ to 2 hours ) Take the chicken out when it is cooked ( About 1 hour )
    Add the Parmasan Cheese after the sauce is cooked & stir
    ALSO !!! season to your own taste. Add more or less of what you like.

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

We are having grilled veal burgers on thinly sliced sourdough garlic toast, with mayo cucumber spread...oven fries with parmesan and macaroni salad (not made with sweetened condensed milk--lol). There probably won't be room for dessert.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Dinner tonight was a grilled burger, bleu cheese potato salad and fresh veggies. Dessert was a choice of cranberry cream scones or pound cake. I felt like baking today.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

OMG...Marigene your pictures over the past few weeks are awesome! Love the cranberry scones!

Lou thanks so much for the pizza sauce. Definitely going to try this!

Thanks everyone for your comments on my Pantry! I've not canned in years and it has been so fun trying out new things and I love spending time in my new kitchen too!

Tomorrow I am canning Marinated Yellow and Red Peppers and Rose Hip Jam or maybe Butter have not decided yet. But I picked about 7 more cups of Rose Hips, had to fight the birds off and the mosquitos were terrible. Boiled and mashed and strained and strained and strained and got 2 qts of Rose Hip puree which is pretty good all by itself. The picture shows a bright orange color but it really is a rosy amberish color.

Tonight we had burgers and I put some dried tomatoes on mine and it was wonderful! We had sides of Chase's Dills and potato salad. Tomorrow I am hoping to finally make some ice cream.

Michelle

• woodie
    16 years ago

Oh my, Marigene, you did this to me a couple of months ago with burgers - created a craving! Yum. Did anybody watch the food network burger challenge last night? It was a fun and mouth watering show.

Tonight was leftover Asian marinated pork tenderloin - don't remember what we served the first time around but tonight it was all leftovers (don't read this, AnnT, LOL) a baked potato turned into really tasty home fries with garlic, onion and Emeril's essence, the leftover meat was just sliced and warmed up in some chicken broth and it kept its good Asian flavor, fresh brussels sprouts and green salad with sherry vinaigrette (one of my favorite vinegars). Dessert was to finish the wine!

Last night we had grilled chicken (my favorite) with a new sauce that I had purchased on a visit several months ago to Southern Season - Billy's BBQ Sauce. It was good and vinegary, not too sweet - we both liked it a lot. I was wanting a zucchini pie so I made one last night with Bisquick, grated mozzarella, shredded zucchini, grated onion, and parmesan and eggs. Gosh it was good, but my fingers are a little bit scarred! The next one I intend to make is an old Impossible Pie recipe which calls for Bisquick, diced zucchini, diced tomato and onion, and parmesan - I think its lighter than the one I made last night.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Marigene, that looks yummy, we had burgers tonight, but no scones! And with all the activity over the weekend didn't even get to make the ice cream. Gdau was very disappointed!
    Michelle, you are set for the winter! Wow, I am impressed!
    Hi Woodie, haven't heard from you lately!
    Last big weekend here for awhile. All the summer people left today, and it will be quiet. We had a crowd last night for a bbq . I made pulled pork, marinated steak and onions, cole slaw, macaroni salad, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes and cheese with basil, grilled pineapple. No time for pics, too many little ones getting into things. My 3 yr old gson helped husk the corn, and took a bite out of a few before they were cooked! Yum!!~~Made dirtbombs and banana crumb and blueberry pie for dessert..

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

OMG, I can't believe it! I missed the burger challenge... :P Woodie, you have a way of just cracking me up...

Michelle, I think you are having way too much fun filling those pantry shelves. It's going to look so beautiful you won't want to use any of it.

Vicki, veal burgers, yum! What?? No sweetened cond milk in your salad....for shame!!!

Marigene, still enjoying the blue cheese potato salad I see. We've had it several times this summer too. I'd have picked pound cake for dessert and scone for the morning.

All the pizza talk is making me hungry for pizza!

The camera survived it's swim in Lake Michigan, it seems to be working fine, now that it's had a week to dry out.

Last night we had some friends over and they were really happy to share dinner with us. I've really had a hankering for Mexican. Probably because I've been trying to find time to make salsa all week. The last jars just came out of the canner, I put up a double batch today, they are pinging as I sit here. Annie's Salsa of course!

So here's last night's dinner, a recipe from a cookbook May gave me in a swap, "Cooking With Texas Highways".

I need to give Kim credit for cooking the meat, she did that while I was working. The recipe calls for stew meat cooked slow and long so it falls apart. It was very good.

Then, while getting up some avocados at the store, I picked up a package of boneless chicken thigh meat. So I could try the recipe that Teresa posted Saturday for Pollo Fajitas, so we had that for dinner tonight.

That's some of the salsa I made today, not all of it went into jars! I should have run my plate under the broiler to melt the cheese...but I was hungry and really didn't care. More Mexican in the near future, there were some really good recipes posted.

Nancy

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Kathleen: I watched " Quite Man " With John Wayne and Mureen O Haro last night.
    I only saw it about 50 times.
    I was thinking of you,our Irish friend.

We were working on Barbecued Sirloin, Marinated in Zesty Italian Salad Dressing.

Also had Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions, Steamed Baby Asparagus, Home Fries, Corn and Applesauce.

For Dessert, we had Pound Cake and Lou's Fluffy Cheesecake.

Didn't have time for Pics, Sorry !!!

Lou

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Wow...I know I must have eaten the last month or so but I can't recall what.

Michelle, those peaches all look SOOO good.Would you repost Nancy's Peach Butter recipe please? I can't believe I missed copying that one.

And the Carol's Marinated Tomatoes? I totally missed that (while on vacation I guess).

Tonight I forgot to take a picture...boy does that say something..but it was a darn good dinner. Pork tenderloin made into schnitzle cutlets, eggplant parmiagian, and sauted zucchini, onions and french beans with lemon. DARN good.

Mr. Crab had to go get catfood and I asked him to get me ice cream. He's still pouting since HE isn't eating any. I go to the SrCenter gym, so I plan to eat dessert when I darn well feel like it. Not in front of him necessarily but I wanted some tonight. Hard cooking you know....Maureen

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I am stuffed! Just finished a yummy dinner of grilled strip steaks, sour cream dill potato salad and corn on the cob. (Urp!)

Heat wave is rolling thru...got up to mid 90's today and will do so again tomorrow. Then it sounds like more fall type weather will be upon us, highs only reaching upper 60's to 70 thru the weekend.

Saturday I had my neighbor over and taught her the basics of canning. We made Annie's Salsa, 14 pints for me and 7 for her. She e-mailed me today that she enjoyed it so much she went out and bought herself a canning kettle and some accessories, then proceeded to ask for a few recipes! Yep, another one converted....

Oh, I had a few tomatoes left so I made four pints of Chase's stewed tomatoes. OMG are they ever good! I plan to make lots more of those! Thanks, Sharon!

Nancy, your Mexican looks amazing! You're camera seems to be working just fine!

Michelle, what do you do with rose hip puree? You must have tons of roses to get that much puree!

Linda

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I picked another 7 cups of rose hips on Monday and got a gazillion mosquito bites too. So today I made Rose Hip and Apple Butter and it is wonderful and I can't wait to try it with bagels and cream cheese! I took several pictures but the color is not true and looks more like catsup then rose hip butter.

Tonight we had Jain's Lavender Lemon Chicken and big dish of roasted vegetables. It was wonderful and I will definitely make this again.

Maureen I see you already found the Peach Butter recipe. I, too, do not like things too sweet, but today I opened up a jar and just dug in with a spoon. It is just delicious.

The Marinated Toms were so much fun to make. They are not canned so you must refrigerate. The recipe was posted by
    Carol/ReadingLady on the Harvest Forum. I just had my first taste last night...delicious!

The recipe is so much fun as you can use all the different types of vinegars, cider, white, wine, etc, as long as they are at least 5% acidity. And you can use any of those cute cherry tomatoes or the small pear tomatoes too. I found some grape tomatoes and these worked out very well. I plan on growing several varieties of Grape Tomatoes next year. I will put a link to the original thread over at Harvest.

Tomates-Cerises a l'Aigre-doux
    Makes 1 quart
    1 quart water
    2 tablespoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt
    1 pound firm cherry tomatoes (round and plum varieties of all colors can be used)
    2 cups cider vinegar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar or more to taste
    2 sprigs fresh summer savory or tarragon
    12 black peppercorns

I have a quart of these tomatoes in the fridge. They look so pretty. I sampled two of them last week. I used grape and yellow pear. I didn't have either of the two herbs you suggested, so I used a teaspoon of mixed Italian dried herbs. I think it will work well. They are still firm and taste yummy. I have some very cute wooden pick to use with the toms on veggie platters during the holidays. I'm sure they will last that long. I will start more latter. It took me two week to find the recipe. Wish I could pronounce the French name. Can you help me? Otherwise, I'll call them marinated toms.

In a large bowl, combine the water and salt, and stir to dissolve the salt.

Prick the bottom of each tomato once with a clean needle. Place the tomatoes in the salt brine, cover and marinate for 24 hours at room temperature.

In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring just to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and cool thoroughly.

Remove the tomatoes from the salt brine and drain thoroughly. Discard the salt brine.

Carefully place the tomatoes in a 1-quart canning jar. Arrange the herbs and peppercorns around the edges of the jar. Pour the vinegar-sugar mixture over the tomatoes. Secure the jar tightly. Let sit in a cool, dry place -- or in the refrigerator -- for 3 weeks before tasting.

Serve as a pickle, or as an appetizer, with toothpicks to spear. Once opened, the tomatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. --

Have fun. I am off to make ice cream!

Michelle

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Didn't make much tonight again but I have some photo's.

Last night I forgot the Steamed Fresh Spinach,
    with Garlic Powder and salted to taste.

Tonight, I used some of the Spinach to make an Omelet.It was delicious.

{{gwi:1527300}}

Dessert was Peaches with Vanilla Ice Cream drizzled w. Chocolate Syrup.

{{gwi:1553172}}

LOU

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Dinner and Dessert look good, Lou!

Michelle, your pantry will be filled to capacity in no time, you've been busy! The Rose hips looks good! thanks for posting Carol's recipe! Copied and pasted!

Nancy, the mexican dinner looks fantastic. I think mexican will be on the menu sometime this week!

Finally we had a nice dinner home instead of going out or ordering in. First days of school so we can start getting into our normal routine instead of the craziness of the summer :) So for tonight it was grilled rack of lamb. Marinated in Ann's Greek ribs recipe. Did the same to a couple skirt steaks for the kids, they won't eat the baby lamb chops! Tasted fantastic! Served it with a salad and some orzo with sauteed mushrooms and onions! The lamb was from Trader Joe's and it was good!

{{gwi:1553174}}

A good friend just came back from Disney and couldn't pass up a special gift for me :) What else would you buy for someone who likes to cook when you go to Disney? A Mickey Mouse Pepper Grinder! Isn't it cute? Turn his ears to grind. He's on the shelf with the rest of the grinder collection!
    {{gwi:1553176}}

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Nancy, when you get a chance - can you share the recipe for the carne guisada? It looks amazing. It is a stewed meat?

Wow - love the interpretations of the roasted tomato soup. You all really kicked it up a notch! Carol - your cream looks like a Fleur de lis design!

Made Sharoncb's World's Best meatloaf and mistakenly used sofrito instead of frito - it was good but missing the tang.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Maggie, soon as I get done here, I'm going to put the recipe on the Mexican thread, someone asked for it there.

Lou, your omelete looks good and fresh peaches and ice cream can't be beat!

Love the Mickey pepper grinder.

Michelle, I emailed the marinated tomato recipe to a friend that will just love it. If I can get some nice assorted small toms I may do it too.

I had some nice tomatoes to use up last night so I did a pasta recipe that was posted at Gardenbuddies. I had to change the name from Penne to Tortiglioni bacause that's what I had in the pantry. I used a Jonhsonville Sweet Italian Sausage with Sweet Basil, we liked it.

It rained all day and struggled to hit 70... so I baked some cookies.

Nancy

• woodie
    16 years ago

Nancy, your pictures are as beautiful as your meals! I'm craving Mexican or Italian at 10:00 a.m.

Michelle - if I lived near you I'd be dropping in to just "borrow" something or just to look at your pantry!

Lou, I was talking omelets earlier with a friend and your picture just hit the spot.

Dishes, you're lucky that your kids won't eat expensive lamb chops yet, LOL.

Maggie - I had meatloaf last night too - Marilyn's turkey meatloaf - a big favorite in this house. I made Annova's Chick Pea salad from the lemon thread on the Recipe Exchange and it is just great! I can't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch today. (Or maybe my 10:00 snack :)

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Great looking food, everyone.

Nancy, glad to see you were able to resuscitate your camera.

Carol, your Mickey Mouse pepper grinder is too darn cute.

Dinners have been mostly repeats, so I haven't bothered taking pictures. Right now I'm baking Ciabatta, which got started early, yesterday morning. It'll be another scorcher today, so dinner may just be bread and butter. Which doesn't sound all that bad to me. [wink]

Duchess. It took me a few minutes to remember which recipe I'd used - an Alzheimer's moment, indeed. In fact, the other day I was...uh...wait, that wasn't me.

Here you go:

Onion and Black Pepper Rolls

1½ cups warm water (110°-115°F)
    1 scant tablespoon (one ¼ ounce packet) active dry yeast
    6 tablespoons canola oil
    2 cups finely chopped onions
    5 cups AP flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1½ teaspoons poppy seeds

Pour the warm water into a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit 7-10 minutes.
    Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onions, reduce heat and sauté until soft and translucent. Set aside to cool.
    In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, black pepper and poppy seeds. Add the yeast mixture, the remaining oil and the cooked onions. Knead 4-5 minutes. Put the dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a dish towel and let it rise for 1 hour. Punch it down and knead it briefly (a minute or two). Cut into quaters, and cut each quarter into 3 pieces, to make a dozen rolls, form each into an oval.
    Preheat oven to 400°F. Place on prepared baking sheets, cover with dish towels and allow to rise for another 30 minutes. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden.

Sol

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Holy smokes, this thread is 3 weeks old....I remember when a week wouldn't go by before a new one was started. Is everyone on the same non-food diet? LOL

I have been wanting clams, but living in the midwest, it is almost impossible to find fresh seafood of any kind; so I decided to make spaghetti with clam sauce, albeit, canned baby clams and a caprese salad. Pathetic, but it sure tasted good.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

hi everyone: long day today ! had a late lunch in the Hosp.
    cafeteria. So I didn't cook tonight. Just snacking around.
    All the food looks great.

That Spinach Omelet was good. I make Omlets a lot. And

Woodie: If you are in the mood some morning, for an Italian something.
    I have something simple for you if you like Spaghetti Sauce

Cover the bottom of a fry pan with some sauce, get it hot,
    Dump in some beaten eggs, mix slightly, then put on a tight lid and cook the eggs to your desired doneness.

I Poach mine sunny side up because, I like to dip some bread.I turn the heat up a little so it steams the tops.

U m m m m m eehhhh!!!! goooooood !
    I think it's a lot better with the Sauce , than Ketsup.
    But then, again, I'm using " LOU'S Spaghetti Sauce "

Hey !!!!! What can I say !!!!!

LOU

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Marigene, I can get fresh clams and I still make it from the can sometimes! I love your plates.

Sol, I would be perfectly happy with your bread and butter.

Woodie, I'll have to go check out that chick pea salad.

Nancy, thank you so much for the photo and recipe for the Tacos de carne guisada. We never do tex-mex and now this will be a regular! The meat is so tender and flavorful. Perfect for DH too because there is no cheese. I just loved it! I didn't need to thicken with a roux at the end - it already had a rich gravy. I did use an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce instead of the puree which I only have in big cans.

Lou, I have noticed you mention the hospital a few times. I hope things are okay in your family or at least getting better.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Marigene: All I can say is " Move East Young Woman "
    You must have posted right before me, Because I missed it.

That was my next meal. I use canned clams, added to Progresso Clam Sauce.
    Don't have time for all that Fuss.
    10 minutes , DONE !

Maggie: My wife has been treating for Lymphoma since 1998.
    Had 3 operations. Treating with Chemo and Radiation at first. Now treating with Ritucsin, as a prevenitive.
    On top of that she had Shingles for 2 years . That left her with Post Herpetic Neuralgia for 3 years.
    Which she claims is worst than all the other things she went through.
    Has to wear Pain Patches and also takes pain pills.

The good side is, in between the bouts, we are very active in the VFW and
    put together boxes of toys for the Pediatrics Ward of Geisinger Hospitital in Wilkes Barre, Pa.

This is to eleviate some of the anxiety and pain from the
    children, who are are Terminally ill or are being treated
    for there for other reasons.
    Since last year we have brought over 200 boxes of toys to the Hospital.

The Ladies raise funds from Cake sales and Donations.
    I've collected items from the Casino's and some donations from Walmarts to buy toys.

We also send packages to the troops in Irac.

My wife is also in a Bible Study Group. They go to Nursing Homes to cheer up the " inmates "
    I went a couple of times but the Ladies talk too much. What else is new !!!!!

It was great to see how they perk up, when the Ladies
    come into the room.

It was a sad bunch to see when I went but
    by the time we left, they all but got up and started dancing.

Maggie : this is a food forum, why am I telling you all this ??? I guess because you asked !
    They bring food to the Nursing Homes, so I guess that counts.

LOU

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Dishes, the Mickey Grinder is so cute and what a thoughtful gift! I love it!!

Linda, I wasn't sure what I was going to make with the Rose Hips. I only have 5 rose bushes and the 2 rugosas produce HUGE hips and lots of 'em. I made Rose Hip/Apple Butter which is very good. And today I made Rose Hip Jelly. I am not sure if the Jelly is going to set or not but I was just too tired to keep stirring it. Jelly is not my favorite but I thought the little ones would like it. I bought some of the Ball 1/4 pint jars especially for little hands.

Your Penne in Cream sauce is almost the identical recipe I made a few weeks ago. Lori called it Bow Ties with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream and it is just delicious so I know yours was wonderful.

Next I am going to do Pears. Pear Butter for sure and then maybe 1-2 other recipes, whatever catches my eye. Only 1 thing with Apples, the Apple Maple Jam. Then I can put the canner away and give my kitchen a good scrub.

Woody, you are welcome in my kitchen any time and this is an open invitation not just something nice to say. Today my carpenter was peaking in my pantry and he said that the "big jars with the red sauce look the best with the dark oak shelves". LOL! I guess I will have to keep lots of big jars with red sauce!!

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

Nancy your pics are gorgeous! Would love the recipe for your pasta dish as well as Lori's. I recall the dish being mentioned but never did see a recipe.

Lou you and your wife are true inspirations for all you have been through and all you do to give to others. By the way my husband used to call the residents at my MIL's nursing home "inmates" too!

Marigene the pasta looks great, I use canned clams in Cindy's clam sauce and it's delicious

Last nights dinner was grilled pork chops with sols wonderful Cauliflower Gratin and roasted baby potatoes, very white but very good!

Tonight is Lori's Parm Crusted Halibut , roasted beet salad , garlic mashed potatoes and fresh yellow beans. At least that;s the plan, we'll see how I feel after two batches of chile sauce and one batch of Roma tomatoes......all I need is the oak shelves , got lots of red jars! LOL

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I posted Lori's recipe a while ago but it probably was lost in the shuffle.

Bowties with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream (Lori)

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/2 cup diced onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 28-ounce can Italian diced tomatoes
    1-1/2 cups whipping cream
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 pound bowtie pasta
    3 tablespoons fresh minced basil

Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage, crumble and cook in oil with crushed pepper until sausage is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook another 5-7 minutes until tender. Drain tomatoes, chop coarsely and stir into sausage along with cream, salt and basil. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes.

In a separate pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta al dente. Drain pasta and add to simmering sauce. Garnish with Parmesan and parsley. Serves 4.

Source: An Appetite for Art, copyright 2001

Marigene, you're right, this WFD thread has been going on forever!

Dishes, forgot to mention your gorgeous rack of lamb. I love rack of lamb and we've had had it in ages.

Lou, the halibut sounds fabulous.

Michelle

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Hi everyone...just popping in here as I get myself back in the routine after being away for a month's holidays.
    It looks like everyone has been eating well and posting some really good photos! I hope it hasn't been too hot.

I had lovely mild weather on Vancouver Island with some rain which I enjoyed as I hadn't seen rain for many months.

Yesterday I did a first grocery shopping since returning and bought a salmon fillet along with a mountain of fruit and vegetables. I bought some books in Canada...not cookbooks this time as I already have enough of those but a good one entitled "Defying Age" by Dr.Miriam Stoppard, wherein we're advised on what we should be doing and eating to keep us young and healthy. I guess we already know that don't we but I'm going to try even harder to get all those veggies and fruits into our daily meals. I bought a BP monitor and am happy to see that most of the time my blood pressure is much lower than I thought. Cutting out salt does really help too, so I bought some Spike at the health food shop over there and have been chopping up herbs.

I was having porridge for breakfast in Canada topped with sliced peaches, banana, orange and those wonderful blueberries which are available over there. We don't get those here and I sure miss them.
    And that really was a filling breakfast, enough to hold me over until the evening meal. I'm going to try and find frozen blueberries here.

1/2 cup (4 fl. oz) (120 ml) Scotch whisky
    1/2 cup (4 fl. oz) (120 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
    4 TBSP soy sauce
    5 - 6 TBSP olive oil
    1 TBSP freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 1/4 lbs (1 kg) salmon fillet, skin on

1. Whisk together the orange juice, whisky, soy sauce, olive oil, pepper and garlic and put into a baking dish measuring 9 x 13 inches,
    (23 x 32 cm).
    skin side up.

Source: Rick Gallop's GI Diet Green-Light Cookbook

I left a shelf full of tinned meats for Wolf to heat up while I was away, but they are all still here as he went out with our German friend to restaurants every day! Guess today I'll be opening a tin of meatballs, with some more broccoli, carrots, potatoes and a salad.
    Sunny and mild here so I guess we'll sit outside on the patio for lunch.

Nice to be back here again!

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Good to see you back again, Sharon! Hope you had a great time in Canada.

I really want to try your drunken salmon, I saved the recipe the first go round. Problem...I don't like scotch (sorry, Lindac). Could I sub bourbon?

Nancy, that pasta looks wonderful, I will be trying it soon.
    And your cookies...MMMMM!

Worked late last night so Tim had frozen pizza! LOL Not sure what's in store for dinner tonight, but I do feel like cooking up something, so I'll report back later.

Linda

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Nice to have you back Sharon, you were missed!

Chase, here is the recipe for the Penne, it was posted by Monique.... @gardenbuddies.com..we really did enjoy it.

PENNE IN CREAM SAUCE WITH SAUSAGE

Source of Recipe
    Monique--GB+CF

Recipe Introduction
    "Bon Appétit February 1997

1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion -- thinly sliced
    3 garlic cloves -- minced
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage -- casings removed
    2/3 cup dry white wine
    1 can diced peeled tomatoes with juices -- (14 1/2 ounce)
    1 cup whipping cream
    6 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
    1 pound penne pasta
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes. Add sausage and sauté until golden brown and cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 7 minutes. Drain any excess drippings from skillet. Add wine to skillet and boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices and simmer
    3 minutes. Add cream and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in 4 tablespoons parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. (Sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
    Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta; transfer to large bowl.
    Bring sauce to simmer. Pour sauce over pasta. Add 3/4 cup cheese and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley.
    Serves 6.

Dinner last night... BLT's, the tomatoes are wonderful right now.

Nancy

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks Nancy and Michelle, sounds and looks great!

I have halibut out for dinner but am also canning tomatoes. Sure am tempted to make the pasta with freshly made sauce.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

I'm trying to catch up, here and with work, after the apparel market in LV. If I don't grocery shop we won't eat, so I'm scanning for EASY ideas here. As always there are loads of lovely meals. I should also be thinking about healthy choices after so much eating out!

Lou, you and your wife are amazing.

It's nice to see you back Sharon.

Lee

• shaun
    16 years ago

Lou I knew I liked you. You're a good egg. (there ... my post is - food related)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Lou, are you sure the ladies don't perk up because you walk into the room???;) Bless you and your wife for your kind deeds...Do you bring them your fluffy cheesecake?? lol
    Sharon, glad you are back, I have missed your beau pics!
    So many fish lovers here...:( I saw on the Discovery Channel what Talapia feed on.., good reason not to eat it for me!
    Well this isn't the best plating, but Michelle says this thread is moving too slowly...
    We had marinated London Broil with onions, baked potato, and fresh spinach baked with red onion, feta cheese and fresh tomato with an olive oil drizzle...

And since this is almost the "sunset" of this thread, I took this tonight on my after dinner walk...it was bright red, but it doesn't show...

• User
    16 years ago

Kathleen you make my heart sing......thanks for that beautiful picture as I toddle off to my bed.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Kathleen, beautiful sunset! I want to be invited to your house for dinner...great looking steak.

I took out chicken breasts this morning but had no idea what to do with them. All of a sudden, I saw a jar of southwestern spices, so it was decided. I made a bowl of Texas "caviar" to go with it. I used a can of hominy instead of corn and found that I actually like it better made that way. Dessert was the rest of the pound cake with a berry coulis.

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Lou - what Shaun said - your a good egg...with so much on your plates.

Beautiful sunset, Kathleen.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Beautiful people here on our forum, beautiful sunset, beautiful food and beautiful pictures. Thanks to all, I sincerely appreciate it.

Tonight I threw together a brisket I found in the freezer and didn't have exactly the proper ingredients to make my normal recipe, so I improvised and it was so delish, I could never make it quite the same again! I think the clincher was to squirt in some Tamari sauce at the last half hour of cooking cause it needed some oooooomph and the gravy turned out great and the meat was already tasty. I love brisket!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Woodie: you said it all and I second them nice remarks.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I was going to put in a Photo taken at the Hospital,
    of a Pediatric Patient accepting a Gift Box
    but I didn't think the Post was going to end that fast !!!
    Thanks Everyone for your concern. It's appreciated.
    LOU