SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Again looking for input on the layouts

annab6
16 years ago

I've stopped posting for a while, just had to sort it all out and prioritize. Still searching for the perfect layout but I think I have a clearer idea now of what might work so I am back with my two "improved" layouts.

I definitely want to keep both the refrigerator and the sink with the dishwasher close to the island's seating area and also close to each other. Would also prefer to keep the clean-up sink off the island to save more of the island space for preparation.

We went over the ventilation with the contractor a couple of times and the outcome is good so far - as long as there is at least 4" of molding between the cabinets and the ceiling, he can run the duct from any location to connect to our existing duct. Therefore, the range can be located anywhere on the L.

So here are the two choices I have identified as the ones that would satisfy my two conditions (I apologize, my second image came out smaller this time, not sure why):

Other details and clarifications:

- The range will be all gas, 30" most likely, may be 36".

- I am also drawing an additional 24" wall oven but it can be an under counter one if we need the wall space for something else.

- For now, I skipped the 2nd sink in the second layout because I think if the main sink is in that location right behind the island, we may not "need" another sink.

- I tried moving the refrigerator in Option 1 further away to get the sink out of the corner, but I think it ends up too far from the range.

Any input is appreciated as I am having a hard time making this decision. My list of pros and cons so far:

Option 1: Pros - Putting groceries away is easier, separate clean-up and cooking zones, seems easier for making "something quick" which I do often. Cons - corner sink may not look good in that location (no windows), seating area is along the main traffic path

Option 2: Pros - fridge by the family room, possible to eliminate 2nd sink, things cooking on the range are visible while working on the island, seating area is nicer, probably overall better look. Cons - Putting groceries away is harder, cooking zone and clean-up zone overlap, range is far from the prep.area (meaning have to walk to the range instead of just turning around).

annab6

Comments (8)