SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
differentdrum

Looking for input and advice on kitchen layout

differentdrum
7 years ago

Hi all,

I've been on Garden web a looong time, mostly lurking, and much of that time we've been looking at ways of redoing our kitchen. We've gone through a few unsatisfactory iterations, and finally decided to completely do away with our dining room and expand the kitchen into the space. I'd love to get some advice on the plan so far. It's just two of us, and we don't see anything taking us out of here within the next ten years, say, so we're keeping resale in mind, but it's not the priority by any means - we want to make it right for us. The new kitchen size should be 19' 4" x 13' 4".

I like this plan generally, but have a couple of problems with it that I haven't found a solution to. The fridge location isn't optimal, but I can't find a better spot (and I don't want to put it to the left of the sink because it will become a barrier between me at the sink, and the bump out eating area and family room just past that). I have told designer and husband that the hutch on the bottom wall needs to be shallower, but it still only gives us approx. 39" aisles. Yeah, I know we could get rid of it, but it's pretty, and gives some decorative storage, plus storage for lesser used items.

The window locations are not set in stone, as we need to change the one in the dining room space anyway, since it comes to a foot and a half from the floor; we're willing to relocate them.

Since we're just the two of us, the island seating probably won't be used for everyday, unless by my hubs when he comes home and I'm cooking, or when a friend is over, but I feel like we need more than just the kitchen table as a seating option. Most of the time, we really just eat in the family room - shh! ;-)

As for the plans, I love the drawers, don't care one way or another about the spice/oil pullouts. My husband loves the idea of few or no wall cabinets on the back wall, but I want that waist to shoulder storage access, especially above the dishwasher - but I wonder it that one cabinet on the whole wall will look silly.

I'd love to hear your thoughts - thanks for taking a look!

Comments (2)