SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlweaving_marji

Looking for input on furniture placement, layout

mlweaving_Marji
10 years ago

We have just finalized plans with our architect and builder and are getting ready to break ground on our retirement home.
And I've just gotten around to trying to place furniture in our main living area and realized I've backed myself into a bit of a dilemma. I don't have any walls!
At this point I'm hoping someone here will have some ideas about how to arrange the space I have to work with.
The "rooms" are defined more by headers and tray ceilings as much as anything. That dot you see at teh top of the blue rug is a support column which also helps delineate the dining room.

I've been using a furniture planning program, so don't look at the kitchen. It's only a rough idea as this planning software only has "counter" and "appliances" to use as place markers for those elements.
the kitchen plans themselves are still with the KD and are being tweeked.

I've used 9x14 rugs, although I don't own any right now so that is something I need to buy, and I'm flexible as to size.
What we do own-(all needs reupholstering as I'm changing direction and color schemes completely)
85" sofa, a narrow sofa table that may be approx 48", 2 Henredon French armchairs 34"wx39"d, a round occasional table, a huge 40" upholstered ottoman that dh loves so it stays, and two extra upholstered back and seat dining arm chairs 32'x32" that I've just stuck around.
We need to buy a bfast room table, although we still own some extraordinary chairs. I plugged in a 48" round with an 18" leaf for now. Need a rug there too.
We own my Baker dining room table and chairs, which i plugged into the dining room, don't have a sideboard.

So I don't love backing the sofa up to the room entrance, but am not sure what else to do with it.
The east wall has a fireplace flanked by two 5'6" cabinet-shelving built-ins that also will house our bar refrig and sink.
There is a library/study up in the front of the house that will have a TV. We've lived without one (TV) for almost 4 years and I'd be content to continue living without it forever.
The functional area of living room as defined by ceiling is approx 13'x14.5'

I'd love any input on how to arrange what we have and maybe suggestions on pieces I might consider when I add furniture.

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 22:07

Comments (8)