SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Just made a really delicious sweet dark rye bread.

caflowerluver
14 years ago

I was in the mood for a dark rye with dinner earlier this week. So found this recipe online. Thought I would give it a chance and it was great. I don't eat there that often but DH was just there with friends and he said it tasted just like it. I didn't tell him the name at first. It is great with any meat, we have had it with pork, beef and chicken or for sandwiches or with soup. I also like it toasted for breakfast. It keeps well too.

So if you like a molasses dark rye, this is the recipe for you. Just thought I would share.

Clare

Bread like The Outback's®

Hearty round loaves with rye and molasses.

Serves: 10-16

Prep. Time: 3:00

(3) .25 oz. pkts. active dry yeast

1 1/2 cup 110 degree water - divided

1 Tbls. granulated sugar

1/2 cup dark molasses

1 Tbls. salt

2 Tbls. vegetable oil

2 cups rye flour

up to 3 cups all-purpose flour

-Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water; stir in sugar; allow to rest for 6 minutes or until bubbly.

-Combine dissolved yeast, 1 cup warm water, molasses, salt, oil and rye flour in a large bowl; beat until smooth.

-Work in enough all-purpose flour until dough is smooth, pliable, and elastic, not sticky.

-Knead dough for 4 minutes.

-Place dough in a large bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.

-Punch dough down.

-Divide and shape dough into 2 equal-sized loaves and place on a greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheet.

-Cover dough with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.

-Bake loaves in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until crust makes hollow sound when tapped on.

Notes: Serve with whipped real butter. Bread can be frozen for later use.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz