SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

Thanks LPink - Sour Cream Rye Bread

lsr2002
13 years ago

I finally made the Sour Cream Rye Bread that I asked Laurie to share on the Roast Pork thread. This bread is delicious and I learned more. The recipe is from "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger. It calls for 1 T of bread machine yeast or 2 1/2 t of SAF yeast (which is what I have). I further reduced the yeast for my altitude to a slightly rounded 1 3/4 t. As Laurie did, I also subbed in 1/2 c of whole wheat flour for 1/2 c of the white bread flour (but I made a math error in converting to grams and used about 1/3 cup less flour than the total called for and that turned out to be perfect to compensate for our very dry air) and kept the amount of rye flour that the recipe called for. I used my bread machine for a whole wheat dough cycle and then shaped the dough and left it covered to rise on parchment. I will always remember Linda C's sage words, "when it's risen, it's risen" and I let it rise until a small impression did not fill back out. That took an hour on the counter next to my preheating oven.

I used a tip I had recently read to slash the bread, which was to lightly spray oil on the edges of a serrated bread knife. I have a very sharp bread knife and I've never used it to slash dough before. After it had a coat of oil, it slipped though the dough like butter and whoops, my slashes were too deep. I baked it on a stone in the middle of the oven and both the top and bottom crusts were perfectly browned.

But I was very pleased with this bread, it tastes great, it has a fine even crumb and it slices easily. I'm not sure I could ask for more except better lighting at night to take a picture.

Thanks everyone for your patience and help with my bread making.

Lee

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022