SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Watermelon pickle...?

I was describing this to my daughter and wanted to try making it. I remember I used to ask my Mom to make it as a kid. I did the rind peeling, so she didn't mind doing the rest. The recipes I'm finding online are more complicated than I recall, though. All I recall her doing was boiling the rind in a sugar syrup with spices until it was translucent.

The recipes I found online call for soaking the peeled rind in a brine solution overnight. I'm sure she didn't do this. I don't know what the brine is for. I don't remember tasting any salt in hers. I went ahead and did it, and rinsed as suggested. But the uncooked rind still tastes salty, plus the rind is not stiff anymore, but limp. I don't know whether the sugar syrup with spices will cover the salt taste up.

The online recipes then boil the rind in vinegar, water, lots of sugar, and spices like cinnamon for half an hour. I don't remember Mom using vinegar either! Then they all call for canning it afterward and processing in a boiling water bath for at least 10 minutes. I was really just planning on making a batch to eat now and in the next week. If I don't actually can it, with boiling water bath, etc., how long does it keep in the refrigerator? I do have canning jars but the batch I'm making will not even fill 2 of them. I have no idea if anyone in the family will even like it. Especially not if it's salty!

Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)