SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eddie1025

Watermelon Rind Pickle Mishap - Advice Please

eddie1025
9 years ago

I was using the NCHFP recipe for watermelon rind pickles. I had boiled the sugar/brine for 5 minutes and poured this over the prepared rind. Then the bowl tipped and about half the syrup went right down the drain! Here I stand without enough sugar to redo the syrup and no store open at this time of night.

I pushed the rind down until it was covered and added one cup of brine that was left over from another batch of rind pickles last week that was sitting in the fridge.

I'm hoping that since the I still have enough brine to cover everything that I can still salvage the recipe in the morning. Am I not thinking about this correctly? Will the balance of sugar and acid be off?

With the massive amount of sugar and the added vinegar I can't imagine it would be unsafe but I don't want to make anyone sick either. Should I proceed with what I have? Should I go to the store in the morning and make another batch of sugar/brine to proceed with the canning? Should I throw out the whole batch?

Sigh. Canning at 1am isn't ideal but sometimes it's just impossible to fit things in at a reasonable hour.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give.

Comments (6)