SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Wedding brunch advice

Chi
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm getting married in about 5 weeks, and our first reception will be a wedding brunch at our home. I'm going to be making all the food for it. I'm keeping it light as we're splurging on a big, fancy dinner later that night for everyone. Everyone has already told me I'm crazy for doing this myself but I'm determined to do it. :)

It's a morning ceremony so I will be getting up at 5 AM to get all glammed up, and after that I will be in my wedding dress, so I don't want to do much on the actual day of when it comes to cooking. I could probably do a little bit but don't want to risk getting messy or ignoring my guests.

However, I want the food to be the best possible. I picked my menu with make-ahead food in mind, but I'm struggling a little with the baked goods. I'm making a variety of cookies, muffins and scones. Ideally i'd make it all fresh that morning, but that's not going to happen so I'm trying to figure out the optimal way to handle it considering my time frame. I have to at least freeze the doughs because of everything else I have to make. Here's are the two different options I'm considering:

1. Make and freeze all the baked goods and bring out the morning of to thaw to be ready by brunch

2. Make and freeze all the dough and bake fresh the night before and store for the next day

I don't have much experience with freezing baked goods. I think scones and cookies are okay to be made the night before, but I think muffins are best the day of, though I've never tried it either way. I *might* be able to throw some muffins in the oven the morning of, but I definitely want to keep same-day prep minimal to reduce my stress. I will have some help, but no one I would really trust to know when the baked goods are done. :) I do have a wedding coordinator who will be putting the food out while we are doing pictures, so she may be able to reheat some items, but I don't want to ask her to do any actual baking.

Any thoughts? Do fully baked, frozen and defrosted baked goods taste good, or is it better to bake and keep overnight? I'm okay with sacrificing a tiny bit of taste for convenience, but I'd rather inconvenience myself than have bad food! Is 5 weeks out too early to start freezing doughs?

If it helps, these are the baked goods:

Cookies: Chocolate Toffee, Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate, Russian Tea
Muffins: Raspberry topped lemon, blueberry
Scones: Vanilla, maple oat nut
Misc: Chocolate swirl buns, banana bread, shortcakes

Thanks!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus