SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelaid

If you don't have zucchini, you don't have friends

angelaid
11 years ago

I've made bread, sauteed with butter and mushrooms, deep fried, roasted and stuffed. I still have zucchini. Need some fresh ideas.

Comments (39)

• Lars
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I put it in minestrone soup and sometimes in lentil soup, which we just finished last night, but my favorite way to cook it is simply grilled. You can make it in a casserole layered with pasta sauce and Italian cheeses, similar to eggplant Parmiggiana, but with zucchini instead of eggplant. I've made it into a souffle as well.

Lars

• Olychick
    11 years ago

this is one of my favorite things to do with zucchini. Originally from Mollie Katzen, maybe Moosewood? I've made it with fewer egg yolks and it works fine.

Zucchini Feta Pancakes

Ingredients

• 4 eggs, separated (yolks optional)
    • 4 cups grated zucchini (about 4-7" ones)
    • 1 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
    • 1 tbsp. fresh mint, finely minced
    • lots of black pepper
    • 1/3 cup flour
    • olive oil for frying
    How to make it

• Beat the egg whites until stiff.
    • In a medium-sized bowl, combine zucchini, egg yolks (or not), feta, green onions, seasonings and flour. Mix well.
    • Fold the egg whites into the zucchini mixture.
    • Heat a little oil in a skillet, and when hot add spoonfuls of batter.
    • Flatten and fry on both sides until golden and crisp.
    • Serve immediately!
    • Enjoy!

• Related Discussions

if you think you don't have a rabbit

Q

Comments (6)
    Well, it might be true for most rabbits that if the head can get thru so can the body; but I was chasing a rabbit off my garden area and it went to go thru the fence at the back of the property (we are in the process of fencing the back yard). That sucker popped his head and shoulders through and then was stuck at his hips. He did ferocious struggling and kicking but was stuck. My hubby asked me to back away to let him relax and go thru or come back in. The rabbit could not go thru, he finally backed up and ran off.
    ...See More

If you don't ovulate, you don't make progesterone

Q

Comments (6)
    This is a message for POPCORNHAZEL - it has come to our attention you are using the Natural Progesterone Advisory Network as a foundation endorsing your comments on this message board. For the record, please let it be understood NPAN DOES NOT recommend women use medication other than how it is prescribed by your treating physician. Further, we ENCOURAGE women to implement progesterone replacement therapy under the guidance of their treating healthcare professional. Natural Progesterone Advisory Network (NPAN) http://www.natural-progesterone-advisory-network.com 'NPAN ... helping women use progesterone cream with confidence' Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Progesterone Advisory Network
    ...See More

Have you been told "You don't want... "?

Q

Comments (49)
    This is one of my pet peeves. We are interviewing contractors for our kitchen project right now. Some of them look at the plans, listen to what we have to say, and then raise a point or two like, have you thought about x? I am fine with that and happy to have someone point out things based on their experience that I may not have realized. Then there are the contractors that say things like, "Induction? You don't want induction. All the best chefs cook with gas." Grrr. These guys have probably never gotten near a cooktop in their lives other than to install one. That doesn't seem to stop them from giving their very definitive advice. Or the guy who said - "you have to do dark wood floors." Me - I don't want dark wood floors. I love how they look but they show too much dust and I know I won't be able to keep them clean. Him - oh, no, that's silly, you have to do dark wood floors, they will look great in your kitchen. Well, guys with an attitude like that will NEVER get my business. We have spoken to about six contractors, and with each contractor, I raised the issue of make up air requirements. Each and every one of them dismissed me and said something like "I've done lots of kitchens, never installed make up air, and never had a problem. Crack open a window when you use the hood on high." This makes me crazy. I wish at least one of them would listen to what we have to say and respond - well, I haven't done it before but I'll ask my HVAC guy what he thinks.
    ...See More

Sometimes you have to be that person that you don't want to be..

Q

Comments (11)
    It's sad to see the result of so much bad workmanship which is out there and how it has undermined consumer confidence. The ability to locate a true professional that you do not need to oversee is a difficult task at best. At the same time please keep an open mind when speaking with or correcting the tradesman. The steel protective plates are most likely pre-drilled and wide enough to cover two studs. They only need to cover the stud itself. The overhang is irrelevant. If a small piece of that plywood was to be screwed to the top of a seat then covered with mortar & cement board then waterproofed it is just fine and it didn't end up at the dump. Some would consider that a good thing. A professional will be happy to address your concerns. Please remember we are dealing with a lot of folks who have watched many DIY shows and consider them real word. Not so much! This is not meant as a criticism just pointing out there may be another point of view.
    ...See More
  • foodonastump
    11 years ago

Guess I better get to the farm stand and buy some friends!

• angelaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great ideas! I've got a little pasta sauce left that I was looking for something to do with. Gonna try a small portion of that casserole and see how it goes over!

DH recently discovered he liked Feta (at a Greek restaurant). I've never bought it. Love anything fried though. (To the chagrin of my waistline!)

This is on the menu tonight:

Recipe: Pastor Ryan�s Spicy Orange Garlic Shrimp
    From Pioneer Woman

Prep Time: 20 Minutes : Cook Time: 10 Minutes : Difficulty: Easy : Servings: 4

Ingredients

24 pieces (26-30 Per Pound) Deveined Shrimp
    2 cloves (to 4 Cloves) Garlic
    3/4 cups Orange Juice
    1/2 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
    1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    3 Tablespoons Salted Butter, Divided

Preparation Instructions

Thaw and peel the shrimp. Thaw them by running them under cold water for a few minutes. Dry the peeled shrimp by draining them on a paper towel or two.

Thinly slice your garlic cloves. Add the garlic to � cup of orange juice. Use a nice high quality orange juice. Measure out and add all of the spices to the orange juice as well.

In a large skillet over high heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once butter has melted add your shrimp. Cook them for about 30-60 seconds and begin flipping them over starting with the ones you placed in the pan first so they don�t get overdone. Cook for another 30-60 seconds. Remove the cooked shrimp from the pan, leaving the heat on high.

Once the butter and drippings begin to smoke ever so slightly add the spicy orange garlic mixture to the pan and give it a good stir. Add the last tablespoon of butter to the sauce and after a few minutes of cooking and occasional stirring your sauce should be slightly thicker.

Return the shrimp to the pan and give them a nice toss to coat them in the sauce. Allow an intermingling of souls to take place for just a few seconds and then it�s time for the fireworks.

Was thinking of some combination of zucchini and tomatoes for a side?

• triciae
    11 years ago

Oh FOAS, heads up! I'm tossing you some over the pond! Enjoy!

/tricia

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Zucchini Fritters which are similar to the pancake recipe above. And they freeze well if you make a large batch. I would supply a recipe but I am at work. Just do a search for zucchini fritter recipes and there are many options. The one I like uses parmesan or romano cheese, flour, baking powder, eggs, onions, shredded zucchini and garlic. No milk. There is one using Bisquick in place of the flour/baking powder if you happen to use that product.

I make them in a 2" size and serve them as appetizers.

Teresa

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Slice zucchini into ribbons with a mandolin and grill with a little olive oil. Serve with crumbled feta and chopped mint tossed through it.
    Chop some onion and cook until translucent in some olive oil. Add zucchini (sliced or cubed), a little crushed garlic and some chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned). Stew together and serve as a side dish.

• angelaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Chop some onion and cook until translucent in some olive oil. Add zucchini (sliced or cubed), a little crushed garlic and some chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned). Stew together and serve as a side dish."

BINGO!

This board is awesome!

• dixiedog_2007
    11 years ago

I grill fresh tomatoes quartered, sliced zucchini, sliced yellow squash and red onions cut into large wedges. Toss all with fresh garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. Put on grill in my basket and when done sprinkle with fresh parm. cheese. Excellent side dish and easy.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I forgot to say I serve the Zucchini Feta Pancakes with Raita. I don't consider them "fried" as I just lightly oil a griddle so they don't stick. More like pancakes than fried fritters.

• arabellamiller
    11 years ago

From BA:

INGREDIENTS
    4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes (such as Yukon Gold), peeled, cut into 3/4" cubes
    3 garlic cloves, quartered
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
    1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut into 1/2 " cubes
    PREPARATION
    Heat 3 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Combine potatoes and garlic in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add potato mixture to hot skillet. Without stirring or moving pan, cook potatoes until light golden brown on one side (this will prevent sticking), 3�4 minutes. Using a spatula, toss potatoes and cook until light golden brown on all sides and cooked through, 8�10 minutes longer.
    Add thyme; toss to coat. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; set aside.
    Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in same skillet. Add zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook until light golden brown and tender but not mushy, 5�6 minutes. Add to bowl with potatoes and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe

• angelaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Printed all of these out, for myself and all my friends who have zucchini laying all over the kitchen counters! LOL

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

The zucchini fritters I make don't use any oil so they aren't exactly fried. I smear a little butter in a pan - just enough so they won't stick.

I guess the name is misleading.

• nancylouise5me
    11 years ago

Wayne wanted mustard pickles, so I chunked some zukes up and put them in with the pickle recipe. Turned out very good. Along with the bread, pancakes, breaded fried, sauced, stuffed, and grilled zucchinis. We still have more left over! NancyLouise

• agmss15
    11 years ago

Making zucchini chips as we speak... And I still have more.

• party_music50
    11 years ago

I also have a zucchini overload and I confess to trying "mock apple" crisp the other night -- it was actually good! I peeled, seeded, and sliced a large zucchini (apple size slices). I had about 8 cups of zucchini... put in saucepan w/ 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup water, and simmered til tender. I then mixed 1 c sugar, about 1/2 tsp cinnamon , and 1 tbs cornstarch -- added to zucchini and simmered to thicken. Note that I like minimal spice in my apple desserts. I made up a gluten-free topping for it and baked it for 30 min, but basically you can proceed from there as if you have "apple pie filling". Really, if you have a ton of extra zucchini it's worth a try. :O)

• coconut_nj
    11 years ago

Last night I made my chili with lots of veggies. Zucchini and eggplant are always favorite additions, and lots were added this time.

You can easily make a tomato and zucchini dish. I just stew them together with some onion and garlic. Or, you can saute the onion and garlic, add the tomatoes and zucchini. I love basil with this so usually include that. Or you can just add a hunk of pepper and a few mushrooms to make a simple ratatouille. Easy to make it as simple as you want, or add a bit more to it.

I also add it to spaghetti sauce.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I like fritters too although I do use some oil but not a lot. After shredding the zucchini, use a ricer to squeeze all the moisture out. That makes great fritters.

• KatieC
    11 years ago

We've been trying to keep ahead of them, but I'm still hauling little friends to work with me a couple of times a week.

I second grilling...sliced lengthwise, brushed with olive oil and seasoned with S&P or whatever....mmmmmm....

This morning I picked some 4-5" yellow and green zucchinis, itty bitty yellow pattypans, a Gypsy pepper, filet beans, a little broccoli and some red and yellow cherry tomatoes. Also thinned the basil and dug some garlic, so I'll cook that all up to go with grilled lamb chops tonight.

A former neighbor made this often. It's yummy with really fresh vegetables. I asked her to write the recipe down and this is what I got. Leftovers make a great frittata.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mexican Zucchini

Recipe By : Katie, from Lynn L.

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    chopped onions
    minced garlic
    sliced zucchini
    chopped green chiles
    chopped tomatoes -- or drained canned tomatoes
    corn
    shredded cheddar cheese

This is a "to taste" recipe - the proportions aren't important. Cook vegies until the zucchini is crisp-tender. Top with cheese and heat until cheese melts.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

When I lived in the Midwest, I would find zucchini on my doorstep, usually of the baseball bat variety.

Cheryl

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

One of my favorite summer side dishes is zucchini, onions, and diced tomatoes cooked together with corn cut off the cob added near the end of the cooking period. I always make extra because it reheats fine in the microwave.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Like Colleen, I tend to just put some onion and garlic in a pan with a bit of olive oil, add zucchini and some tomatoes. I like fresh tomatoes from the garden best, just diced up and added right at the end so they don't cook into mush, but sometimes I use home canned tomatoes if I don't have fresh ones.

I also love Sol's zucchini pancakes. they are not at thin as a crepe, but thin enough to roll around your choice of fillings:

Sol's zucchini Pancakes

2 cups grated zucchini
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons melted butter (more for greasing the pan)
    1 cup AP flour
    1 1/2 tablespoons water
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    Black Pepper and Salt to taste *
    1 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Serve with:

6 ounces double cream brie
    roasted tomatoes
    2 tablespoons chopped chives

Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Combine all pancake ingredients in a bowl, except for the water.
    Mix until smooth, then add enough water to make a thin batter (you shouldn't need more than 1 to 1� tablespoons). Mix until just combined.
    For 6-inch pancakes, add about 1/3 cup of batter to greased pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side.

Serve with double cream brie (or your favorite melting cheese), roasted tomatoes and chives.

*Add all the black pepper you like, but use a light hand with the salt, as parmesan provides some saltiness. I normally add 1/8 teaspoon salt, and find it's plenty. Enjoy.

Sol

My favorite recipe for zucchini is from Eating Well magazine:

Gratin of Zucchini and Tomatoes

3 cloves garlic, crushed
    2/3 cup fresh basil leaves
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip), divided
    1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
    3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
    1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    3 medium zucchini, (about 1 3/4 pounds total), sliced on the bias about 1/4 inch thick
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1.Preheat oven to 400�F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (or similar gratin dish) with cooking spray.
    2.Place garlic, basil and thyme on your chopping board; mince well. Spread half the breadcrumbs evenly in the prepared baking dish. Strew onion over the breadcrumbs. Distribute half the diced tomato over the onion, then sprinkle with half the garlic-herb mixture. Sprinkle with vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
    3.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a third of the zucchini; you want it to saut�, not stew, so don't crowd it. Saut�, turning the pieces once, until golden and not quite tender, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. When the slices are done, use a fork to transfer them to the gratin, overlapping the slices. Cook the remaining zucchini in two batches, each time using 2 teaspoons oil. Strew the remaining tomatoes and garlic-herb mixture over the zucchini. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and a grinding of pepper. Toss the remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle over the gratin.
    4.Bake the gratin until bubbly hot, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with Parmesan.

Annie

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

I have made 3 recipes of this Zucchini Jam and my favorite is the red raspberry. Really tasty. I plan to make more as soon as I get caught up on my other canning.

Zucchini Jam

Prep Time: 10 mins
    Total Time: 35 mins
    Yield: 8 cups, aproximately

Ingredients

8 cups zucchini, peeled, seeded and pureed I used my food processor, make it look like apple sauce
    1 cup lemon juice
    2 (6 ounce) packages raspberry Jell-O gelatin or 4 small boxes of Jell-O
    6 cups sugar
    1 (1 3/4 ounce) packages pectin

Directions

Place zucchini and lemon juice in a large sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil over medium high heat.
    Allow to boil for 15 minutes.
    Add, sugar, Jello and pectin and stir until dissolved.
    Continue boiling for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Pour into sterilized jars and seal. I put mine in a water bath for 10 minutes.

Sue

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

Easy and quick, and I would never have thought of it on my own. Found it online.

Pour a tablespoon or two of olive oil into a saute pan and toss in a couple of tablespoons of sliced almonds into it. Cook and stir/toss until the almonds are barely toasted. Add about 3 cups of finely julienned zucchini into the pan and just heat through (cut so thin they will cook quickly). Add a dash of salt and pepper and that's it. So simple, but even DH, who doesn't really like zucchini, says it's delish.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 years ago

At this point, I told my husband (the vegetable gardener) that zuch is a 4-letter word.

Looking forward to a killing frost lol.

seagrass

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 years ago

At this point, I told my husband (the vegetable gardener) that zuch is a 4-letter word.

Looking forward to a killing frost lol.

seagrass

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

Cream of Zucchini Soup

1/4 cup butter
    3 cups grated zucchini
    1 cup grated carrot
    3/4 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup flour
    2 cups water or chicken broth
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

grated cheese (optional)

Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add zucchini, carrot and onion. Saute until onion is soft and clear. Sprinkle with flour and stir well. Add water, milk, salt and pepper. Heat and stir until thickened. Simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 5 minutes. Add cheese and stir to melt.

I usually add a dash or two of chicken bouillon powder and some dried thyme.

This recipe comes from Company's Coming Favourites cookbook.

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

Courgette and bean salad.
    Blanch courgette ribbons and combine with white beans. Add lemony vinaigrette. Delish.

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

This makes a good topping for hot dogs or burgers and can be used mixed into tuna salad or anywhere you'd use a pickle relish.

ZUCCHINI RELISH

2 1/2 cups finely chopped zucchini
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
    1 1/4 tsp. salt
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp. celery seed
    1/4 tsp. ground mustard
    1/8 tsp. ground tumeric
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    1 Tbs. water

In a bowl, combine, the zucchini, onion, green pepper and salt; cover and refrigerate overnight. Rinse and drain well; set aside. Squeeze excess moisture out of the mixture with your hands.

In a saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed, mustard and tumeric; bring to a boil. Add vegetable mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into saucepan. Simmer 6-8 minutes longer, stirring often. Cool. Store, covered, in refrigerator. Makes about 2 cups.

• jessyf
    11 years ago

This one was on the table at a book club potluck last week. Everyone raved and wanted the recipe. I'm going to cross post in new recipes.

Zucchini Pickles - Heidi Swanson, 100 Cookbooks

There are quite a number of ways to play around with the personality of these pickles. Sometimes I shave the zucchini paper-thin, resulting in a whispy tangle of pickled zucchini and onions. Other times I want my pickles to have a bit more bite, structure, and definition. In those instances, I slice the zucchini thicker, perhaps 1/8-inch, and let them drain as long as possible, sometimes overnight refrigerated. Also worth noting, when I make them for our personal condiment stash, I used a brown natural cane sugar. It gives the pickle liquid a brownish cast that, quite frankly, weirds people out if they don't know what is causing it. So, if I'm making the pickles to bring to a BBQ or something, I'll make them with regular organic cane sugar - one that is lighter in color.

3 medium zucchini (1 pound / 16 oz / 450 g), thinly sliced

1 medium white onion, thinly sliced

3 shallots, thinly sliced
    1 1/2 tablespoons fine grain sea salt

1/4 cup (small handful) fresh dill sprigs
    1 small fresh red chile pepper, very thinly sliced
    1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds

3/4 cup / 180 ml cider vinegar

3/4 cup / 180 ml white wine vinegar

1/3 cup / 1.75 oz / 50g natural cane sugar

Toss the zucchini, onion, shallots, and salt together in a colander and place over a bowl to catch the liquids. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least a couple hours. Toss once or twice along the way. You're aiming to get as much liquid out of the zucchini as possible.

When you're finished draining the zucchini, shake off any water. At this point you want the zucchini as dry as possible. Place in a 1 liter / 1 quart jar along with the dill, chile pepper, and mustard seeds. Alternately, you can cram them into a 3/4 liter Weck jar like I do, but it's always a bit snug in the jar.

Combine the ciders and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves, and continue to boil for a few minutes. Pour the liquid over the zucchini and seal the jar. Let cool, then refrigerate. The pickles are good for a week or so.

Makes one large jar.

Prep time: 120 min - Cook time: 5 min

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick pickled zucchini

• noinwi
    11 years ago

I made zucchini lasagne recently that turned out quite good. I didn't save the recipe though, it was just one of the first ones I googled. Basically, you just replace the noodles with thin slices of zuke.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

You know what I don't understand??
    When I grow Zucchini in my backyard garden,
    Mother doesn't want anything to do with them.
    Yet, if I don't, and bring home zucchini from
    the farmer's market, then she gets 'creative'
    and makes wonderful dishes. Give me a friggin
    break.

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

I have used the zucchini in lasagna, too, instead of the pasta.
    DH hates zuchs and didn't even realize I used them. LOL

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Well, here's another one for you, my grandkids just love this stuff. Probably because it's full of sugar and koolaid, LOL. Thanks to Linda Lou from Harvest for the recipe:

Zucchini Candy
    10 cups peeled diced zucchini 1/2 inch cubes ( I use "worms" about 3 inches long and 1/12 inch thick and wide. The little dice would be good in muffins, though.
    3 cups water
    2 pkgs. unsweetened Koolaid
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    Peel zucchini,
    diced, removing seeds. Mix the liquid syrup together. Add zucchini. Bring to
    a boil and them simmer for 25 min. Drain. Put on dehydrator trays. Dry 14
    hours at 125 degrees. Turn pieces over and dry another 4 hours. This will
    feel dry and not sticky when done. Store in jars or other tightly sealed
    containers.If you dip in sugar when you turn them, they will be more like
    "gum drops" on the outside.
    You can do the same thing with the zucchini
    but use 48 oz. pineapple juice
    2 T. pineapple extract
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice

Annie

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

If you want to eat vegetarian or just give someone a real treat then this recipe is the one!

Courgette lasagna with marscapone.
    6 sheets of fresh pasta
    300g courgettes
    150g marscapone
    1 egg
    80g grated parmesan
    25 cl cream
    fresh thyme
    butter
    nutmeg, salt and pepper

mix the marscapone with the egg and 3 soup spoons of parmesan, some grated nutmeg and s&p
    Wash the courgettes and slice them thinly
    heat the oven to 150�c
    Cok the pasta sheets in boiling water and drain
    gently fry the courgettes and thyme in a little butter, add the cream, salt and pepper. away from the heat, add the marscapone pix. Mix well.
    Put alternate layers of mix and pasta in a dish, grate more parmesan over and bake for30 mins. Not diet food, but really special.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

zucchini cake:

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

t=teaspoon
    T=Tablespoon
    c=cup

2 1/2 c unsifted flour
    1/2 c cocoa
    2 1/2 t soda
    1 t salt
    1 t cinnamon
    3/4 c margarine or butter
    2 c sugar
    3 eggs
    2 t vanilla
    2 t grated orange peel (optional)
    2 c shredded zucchini
    1/3 c milk
    1 c nuts (optional)

350 degree oven

mix first 3 ingredients, set aside

Beat margarine and add the next 5 ingredients and add the flour mixture and milk. Mix well. Pour in to greased and floured bundt cake form (springform). Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cool in pan for about 15 minutes and then take it out of the pan to let cool the rest. Drizzle with icing if desired.

Icing
    2 c powdered sugar
    3 T milk

Really yummy with a dollop of whipping cream on top. :)

I also LOVE roasted zucchini

Sprinkle zucchini pieces with oil, coarse salt, pepper and rosemary, parsley and maybe Italian seasoning.

bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.

Yummy

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Let us not forget 'Zuccini Boats'.
    Get yourself a big 'ol Zuch, and split it
    lenghthwise. Scoop out the insides, and
    sautee it with onion and either burger meat,
    or 'sauseech', throw in some bread crubs and
    stuff it all back into the hollowed out Zuch.
    Oh, and don't forget the grated parm.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Ratatouille - I make it so often I don't have my recipe anymore.

2-3 zucchini
    1 large or 2 small eggplants
    1 large onion
    5 good sized tomatoes
    2 peppers, green or red or yellow or orange or any kind of mix
    lots of EVOO
    lots of fresh basil and garlic
    Some salt and pepper to taste

Sautee the whole mess up and then simmer for a bit to thicken the sauce that forms. Serve warm or cold, garnished with chopped parsley, parmesean or toasted bread crumbs, in quiche, scrambled eggs or as pasta sauce, with garbanzos or chicken for a stew and on top of crusty sourdough for brushetta, with feta for even more yuminess. Can also freeze this, although it looses some of it's texture appeal, but not it's taste appeal. Can vary vegetable proportions to suit your garden's productivity or your neighbors generosity.

• cziga
    11 years ago

I am also up to my ears in Zuccini and Summer Squash right now ... I've found that if I cooked it often enough to keep up with the harvest, my family would revolt :)

I tend to freeze a lot of the harvest. I freeze it in cubes to use later in the winter as a roasted vegetable side dish. I freeze it grated to use in muffins or other baked good ideas. And this year I have started to freeze soups, to thaw later on nights when I don't have a lot of time. Summer Squash soup is wonderful - lighter than one made with the winter squashes, fresh and easy. You freeze right before you add any cream/sour cream, then thaw, add your garnishes and serve.