Houzz Logo Print
kathleenca

Pioneer Woman on TV

15 years ago

Today's Los Angeles Times has a feature article on Ree Drummond's show on the Food Network. The show has six episodes & is scheduled to start Saturday.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'The Pioneer Woman' takes her vittles to TV

Comments (25)

  • 15 years ago

    I just finished making her salsa - I tweak, but use her recipe basically.
    The Food Network ruins all the good cooks!
    Next she'll be showing cleavage, batting her humongous false eyelashes, and coiffing her hair, strutting around the kitchen in her designer stretch jeans, cooking with PW brand cast iron!

  • 15 years ago

    MTRG - LOLOLOL! Yep - her blog is amusing and yes, she has soom good recipes and ideas, but there is no way I will watch the show...... and I anticipate the blog will also take a nose dive. But, more power to her for cashing in on her success - I wish her all the best.

    Alexa

  • Related Discussions

    which pioneer woman book is the first?

    Q

    Comments (10)
    I have no idea what book you are referring to, if it is the Pioneer Woman who has the blog or a series about a Pioneer Woman with an author, but usually you can go to Amazon and tell by the publishing dates. If it is the one with the blog its The Pioneer Woman Cooks published in 2009 that my granddaughter stood in line for several hours to purchase and have autographed to give to me for Christmas. Incidentally, I also have one which is very good called Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey, covering 1851 to 1867, by Lillian Schlissel published in 1982, with a lot of pictures, which surprised me.
    ...See More

    Heads up - Pioneer Woman on Bobby Flay's Throwdown tomorrow

    Q

    Comments (28)
    I also enjoyed the show & am pleased with the outcome. Am I the only one that thought Bobby looked very tired & not quite himself? I know he's been on a book tour for 'Throwdown' & I don't know when the show was filmed so, hopefully, he was just exhausted & not ill. I loved the pommegranite seeds, thought they looked beautiful & I love those things. It was a favorite holiday treat in my stocking as a kid. I'd make such a mess eating them! :) /tricia
    ...See More

    LOOKING for: Pioneer Woman Cobbler

    Q

    Comments (1)
    You mean the blackberry cobbler?
    ...See More

    Pioneer Woman’s Magazine

    Q

    Comments (1)
    I often find that I am interested in only portions of magazines, so I try to borrow them from the public library. The library often has older issues as well.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

    I find her voice very annoying. I do think she is clever on her blog but mostly talking about the kids and the ranch. Didn't see this show but caught her on a morning news show this week.

  • 15 years ago

    I don't know who she is so I probably won't be watching. Besides it's on FN. They are more into personalities then they are into cooking. NancyLouise

  • 15 years ago

    Next she'll be showing cleavage, batting her humongous false eyelashes, and coiffing her hair, strutting around the kitchen in her designer stretch jeans, cooking with PW brand cast iron!

    Yeah, in general I've not beem impressed with FN celebrity cookware and utensils.

  • 15 years ago

    Wow, we really have a prejudice again FN, eh? Admittedly with good reason, but still. Smiles. I thought she did a good job. I like the way she writes and she's a very good photographer. I'm not a big recipe person and that's one thing I like about her and she did it in her show too. She showed technique instead of just trying to replicate measurements. She made chicken fried steak with gravy and mashed potatoes with cream cheese and such. She made a breakfast sandwich too. Of course there was some of her family in there and the Marlboro Man talked more than I've ever seen him talk. I enjoyed it. Maybe it will change but I thought it was more real than their other shows. The kids were fighting, mildly but literally. She tried to help wrangle a calf and got scared. We'll see.

  • 15 years ago

    I love the humour she injects in her blog. Real down-to-earth.
    Whack the orange in half. She breaks me up.

    FN (Canada) is all about competitions for the most part. I watch very little, but do have my favourites. Barefoot Contessa, but she's hardly on it seems. I also don't see Tyler Florence and I also like him. It sure isn't what it used to be.

    If you wanted to tune in to really learn how to cook and techniques, you wouldn't learn any from that channel. What a shame.

  • 15 years ago

    I enjoy reading her blog now and then, so I caught the show today.

    I have to admit, I was not riveted.

    In fact, I found her dimples so visually distracting that I turned it off 20 minutes into it. I know she can't help that she has dimples, but it actually crossed my mind that the FN Head Cheeses (ha ha) might have told her to pull back the corner of her lips a bit so her dimples would show more (like Giada alluvuhsudden started showing more cleavage with lower tops and push-'em-together bras). But hey, I could be wrong!

    I doubt I'll be a fan of the show.

  • 15 years ago

    I liked it, but think it was better suited to Bravo or E! than FN. Her voice was off-putting to me also.

    Instead of being a foodie show, it should be more of a reality show about being a wife on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma.

  • 15 years ago

    My SIL loves her, but I've never been into her, which is no surprise. She's all about meat, and I'm not. But, she's obviously very good at what she does.

    The FN in the States is also pretty much all competition shows. You have to pay for a higher level of cable than I'm willing to pay for to get their sister channel, which is actually about cooking and how-to. I do like to watch Chopped. It took me a while to start watching it, since I thought it was too gimmicky, but once I did, I realized that it's one of the few competition shows that's actually about cooking, rather than personalities. Yes, they do highlight some of the chefs' personalities and the inevitable conflicts that might arise between contestants, and also when the chefs have good personalities, but it's much more about the food. I like that in a cooking show. But, I've digressed from the subject of the thread. Sorry.

    Sally

  • 15 years ago

    I find her food generally horrific. I mean, a little cream an butter can be a good thing, but it seems like she's on a crusade to dump every unhealthy thing she can find into a pot, along with some prepared junk. But I like the way she presents herself. She seems kind of honest and silly (I mean, except for the rampant censorship of comments. She must have a full time staff for that) and it's interesting to see her in person after reading her online. I think I'll check out the show.

  • 15 years ago

    I stumbled on to the show
    as they were eating the chicken fried steak.
    So I only saw a part of it.
    Not something I would move any mountains to see,
    But sort of fun to watch.
    And I will probably watch it another time or two,
    Just to see how it goes.

    The breakfast sandwiches looked good,
    And I am definitely going to try
    The breakfast drink she made!
    (If I can remember what went into it).

    I've found several recipes on her blog that we like.

    Yes, seems she is all about meat, & cream, & butter, & eggs.
    But when someone lives and works an actual working ranch,
    They work hard enough they can eat those things.
    It's a totally different life than many of us are used to.

    Rusty

  • 15 years ago

    It's true, her husband and kids are thin. But I saw her add butter to cooking oil, make gravy to pour over fried food, and put an astounding amount of butter, cream, and cream cheese in mashed potatoes (and then they all poured gravy on them). There's no artful use of a little cream to its best advantage-- it's fat, fat, fat, fat. Seems like most of the country is looking for healthy food that tastes good. I also think ranch wives probably already know how to fry, so I'm not sure exactly who her intended audience was for that episode. Maybe her celebrity will be enough to keep her show on the air. She's certainly made a fortune.

  • 15 years ago

    Dang I missed it. I think she's the shizzit. Super mom to four home schooled kids, homemaker and ranch wife, blogger, writer, now television. She's super woman. I don't aspire to be anything like her, being a child-free atheist with energetic bursts of hedonistic inactivity, but I can still find her admirable.

  • 15 years ago

    You sound like an interesting gal, gina_w.

  • 15 years ago

    Speaking as an Okie, more power to her for creating and marketing this persona . She is to cooking what Snooky and the "Situation " are to the east coast, the Sarah Palin of tradional values. Okies are an extremely guliable group of people, 70 percent don't believe Obama is the real president and that dinosoars were killed off by noah's flood.

    I recall her first tv appearence on a Bobby Fal throw down where for some reason they arrived at a double tv sized and layed out kitchen where PW fixed her "traditional " turkey stuffing includeed panchetta and " wild mushrooms". As an OKie I will swear the neither of these are an okie tradtion nor availible within about 100 miles of PW's local. She is just as real as the fabulous beekman boys.

  • 15 years ago

    I don't watch TV and rarely go to a food blog unless sent there by Ann so I had to go find out what all the shouting was about by watching a video. I have seen a few of her recipes. Her cooking style doesn't work for my daily culinary efforts as I reserve the butter rich dishes for Thanksgiving.

    By golly that woman does it all, doesn't she.

    Her voice seems sort of sweet to me. I rather like her bit of twang, drawl, whatever it's called in Oklahoma. I poked around on her website. She's no simple country girl. She's a transplanted urbanite. Martha Stewart with a gee whiz and some tossed hay in her hair. ;) Her success resides in her approachable sense of style and her unspoiled persona. I hope she hangs onto both.

  • 15 years ago

    I like her website a lot and enjoy the fashion element she adds along with the ranch life point of view. The few recipes I have made have been very good although I usually cut the fat some.
    And Punkinhead, I do consider myself somewhat sophisticated (at least knowing what is and isn't) and not at all gullible, and actually do believe the dinosaurs died off after the flood, although I'm pretty sure Obama is the real president, for the most part anyway.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Why I belive in the flood and dead dinosaurs

  • 15 years ago

    Since I cancelled my subscription to satellite TV months ago, I didn't see her show.

    I've hcecked her blog a couple of times, and although I find her likale, I wouldn't cook many of her recipes or I'd be big as Marlboro Man's Horse.

    As for Gina, well, I like her even better than PW. (grin)

    Annie

  • 15 years ago

    Gina doesn't post nearly as often as I wish she would. :)

  • 15 years ago

    PunkinHead, Oklahoma may not be the cultural center of the universe, but I don't believe you are describing the Oklahomans that I know.

    Oh, and just for the record, a lot of people pick wild mushrooms in Oklahoma and don't have to go far to find them, so who is to say that it is not a tradition in her home.

    I have read her blog a few times and while I am not necessarily interested in it, I admire her for finding a way to have a career while still being a ranch wife in a rather isolated location.

    I do meet a few people in Oklahoma that are gullible, but most of them are not Okies, but just got here as soon as they could.

    I have managed to communicate in many states and several foreign countries although I did get a few comments. I don't like the way my voice sounds either, but this Oklahoma 'twange' seems to return every time I cross the state line to return home.

    Obviously Pioneer Woman should be given credit for being able to do what see does best, and find an audience for it.
    As for the President, Oklahoma didn't elect him.

  • 15 years ago

    I love PW's website/blog! I have made many of her recipes and ALL of them have been really good. I am also a fellow Okie, and have enjoyed learning how to make classic okie food with a Ree boost of goodness! She knows how to take those few extra steps and make a dish that much better... Like making your own cream of chicken instead of canned. I'm in my late 20's and have been married for only a couple of years, so I enjoy being able to learn different techniques that my mother really didn't teach me... Her being in the generation of everything being convenient and canned for the working woman.
    Hopefully PW loosens up in the next few episodes, though. She seemed nervous and a bit too scripted.
    Punkinhead, I also consider myself somewhat sophisticated and not gullible.... And I also know that Obama really is the president. I don't think I've ever met anyone in the last 3 years that thought he wasn't??? Not sure where you live in Oklahoma... Maybe a rural area?
    PS- Pawhuska, OK (Where PW lives) is only 52 miles from Tulsa. You can definitely find pancetta and wild mushrooms in Tulsa!

  • 15 years ago

    Aw shucks, I miss you too Annie and Eileen. Been super busy and pre-occupied for a while. Will try to post more. Not cooking much creative stuff - gone on the Primal diet - you know, uh, um, well, CAVEMAN! LOL.

    Thanks Jessica, I try to please.

    Punkin, I don't know why someone from Oklahoma has to only cook Okie traditional foods. And that double-sized kitchen of hers is their GUEST LODGE! Enough to make y'all green with envy. Or admiration. Or disbelief...

    Anyway, lookie what I found in my files:

    {{gwi:1547892}}

  • 15 years ago

    Yo Gina

    I remember that picture and I still have the book you got autographed for me! Thanks for letting me bail on you while DH dragged me couch shopping, LOL.

    I remember you said the line moved very slowly because she took time to talk to everyone?

    I too miss you.

  • 15 years ago

    How cool! She seems like she is a really nice person.