SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

Did you know that puppy saliva can stain?

meg711
15 years ago

Hi all,

We recently purchased new furniture for our family room, and we bought the Guardian protection plan which sort of "insures" the furniture against certain stains.

We paid a ridiculous upcharge to have our couch upholstered in a certain fabric, primarily because we loved the color and glow of the mohair and were told that it would wear like iron. Not so. After barely five weeks--if that--we have two sets of mystery stains.

We have not let anyone eat in that room, so it cannot be food or beverage stains. The weather has been particularly nasty, so it could have been caused by moisture from the outside, but why should that stain?

When I called Guardian to report the first stains, they said that it was probably dog saliva which has been known to stain fabrics. (The four stains are in a perfect puppy paw pattern.) Who knew that puppy saliva could stain? The store has graciously agreed to have that one cushion re-done for us without going through Guardian.

The second stain is new. I just discovered it yesterday when we got back from our trip. It wasn't there when we left which means it happened while the housesitter/puppysitter was here, or from DH yesterday. And, of course, DH doesn't know what it is. (I haven't asked the housesitter yet.)

Bottom line is that I want to enjoy that room and actually use and live in it without worrying about the couch, but how can I do that--especially when stains are popping up with no known cause?

Our salesperson/designer has suggested a throw or something for our puppy to sit on to lessen the chance of puppy saliva or paw print stains. Would that be horrible?

Does anyone else have any advice for this admittedly silly problem? Thanks very much.

Comments (19)