SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyduckworth

Changing Meals On Wheels Menu challenge

Daisyduckworth
15 years ago

I've been getting Meals on Wheels for about 18 months now, and while the meals continue (for the most part) to be quite delicious, they've become somewhat repetititious. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks they need an injection of new recipes, and we're all being asked for suggestions.

We normally get the sort of meals that were popular 30 or 40 years ago. Here's a list of examples (there are many more, but they're all beginning to taste the same!):

Apricot Chicken with Rice

Savoury Mince

Meat Pie with Gravy

Steak and Kidney Pudding

Beef or Lamb Stew

Quiche

Spaghetti Bolognese

Lasagne

Sausages in Onion Gravy or Sweet'n'Sour Sauce

Curried Sausages

Roast lamb, pork or beef dinner

Crumbed chicken leg with gravy

Meatloaf

Meatballs in gravy (or some other sauce like Sweet'n'Sour)

Fish with Parsley Sauce

Corned Beef with Parsley Sauce

Chicken Mornay

Each meal is served with a wide assortment of vegetables, often as many as five. Mashed potato is served even with pasta! I'm thoroughly sick of mashed potato! Really, they're all just versions of Casseroles or Meat'n 3 Veg.

I'm at the point where I would sell my soul for an Asian Stirfry, or even an old-fashioned Chinese Chicken and Almonds. And I'd probably kill for a juicy thick steak - anything I can sink my teeth into and gnaw!

Now, I know that MOW has a limited budget, and has to cook for upwards of 200 people every day, and all the while keep everyone happy, including the (mainly elderly) volunteers who do the cooking. But surely there are other meals they could provide by way of a flavour change.

It would be nice to have simple dessert dishes, too. Those are less thrilling, even though they're usually quite nice - but I'm craving something different from our usual Bread and Butter Pudding, Apricot Crumble, Jelly and Custard, or Rice Pudding, or Flummery! I used to like Impossible Pie, but after having it 3 times this week, and twice last week, I'm happy not to see it again for quite some time.

I'd really appreciate any input from you people - ideas, recipes for crowds, anything. I doubt very much if many of our old people would go for anything with chilli in it, and I doubt if most of the volunteer cooks have heard of any other herb but parsley, which severely limits me in my contribution of recipes!

Fairly plain, simple, cheap but DIFFERENT. Yes, I know it's a tall order.

Comments (5)