SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexisls

Before & After - Pictures of My Tiny Galley Kitchen

alexisls
12 years ago

We bought our house last May and loved everything about it except the [insert profanity of choice] kitchen.

The good news - it hadn't been touched since 1969, so no tragically bad renovation to jack up the selling price (we saw a lot of those while house hunting) and I wouldn't feel bad tearing everything out.

The bad news - it hadn't been touched since 1969, so there was peeling blue laminate counter tops where the longest piece of counter space was only 3 feet; just one full sized drawer (and a narrow drawer filled with take-out menus -- the POs clearly didn't cook much); a refrigerator you couldn't stand in front of to open; a bottom of the line range; and cabinets with so much paint, they didn't close completely with fixed shelves that were only half the depth of the cabinet. I only wish I had taken "before" pictures of the insides because you really had to have to seen them to believe how ridiculous they were.

Needless to say, I couldn't wait to tear everything out! Squeezing as much workable space out was a challenge. The kitchen is only 7x14 and has three doors. My goal was to maximize counter space and to use cabinets and drawers as efficiently as possible, while keeping with a style that fit in a 1928 bungalow.

We did the renovation in phases, so I had my pots and pans on the dining room floor for longer than I would have liked. But total time for actual work was only a couple weeks. Everything went really well - I was my own GC and found great contractors to do the work. Everyone showed up on time, did what they were supposed to and charged me what they said they would. I worked hard at getting everything planned and coordinated, but as they say, "it's better to be lucky than to be good."

Here's before:

From Kitchen Before
From Kitchen Before
From Kitchen Before
From Kitchen Before
From Kitchen Before
From Kitchen Before

And here's after - I love all my counter space and the airy feel from the glass front cabinets. I used:

-Ikea boxes with Scherr's doors

- Bendheim Vertical River Ice cabinet glass

- Top Knobs Sanctuary pulls in brushed nickel

- Ikea sink, faucet and integrated dishwasher

-Craft art black walnut edge DIY countertops

-pressed tin tile backsplash, also DIY

- custom stained glass panel from Etsy

- Frigidaire Gallery french door cabinet depth fridge and 5 burner gas range

-BM Pale Vista walls and BM Simply White window trim; doors and door frames are BM Roasted Coffee Beans (all of the trim in the house is brown)

From 2012-01-21
From 2012-01-21
From 2012-01-21
From 2012-01-21
From 2012-01-21
From 2012-01-21
From 2012-01-21
From 2012-01-21
From 2012-01-21

Comments (37)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC