SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Looking for ideas on how to make oak filing cabinet more stylish

It's a CL cabinet ;-), solid oak drawer fronts (and maybe the top), decently solid, full extension drawers, legal size...pretty much a HUGE upgrade over our cruddy metal, dented cabinet. I think I will actually file things into this one b/c the drawers operate great!

It's got some weird staining, so DH is planning to sand it a bit and clean it. If there is a finish, it's very light (lightly applied, natural color). We were thinking of putting some nice casters on the bottom, too!

I am completely torn between using it as-is, or trying to give it some style. We're keeping it in our bedroom; we have a teak platform bed w/semi-matching dressers (scandinavian-ish style) and my style is eclectic/transitional. We are remodeling the master bath w/modern-looking oak cabs, so the file would sort of match the bathroom but I don't really need it too.

Can I pick your brains? Any thoughts as to what I might do w/the file cab? Is this a situation for Poly-shades? FWIW DH is changing the lock to a silver one b/c there is no key and it needs to be changed. Thanks!

Comments (12)