SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenfumbers4fowbers

Bosch Nexxt 500 pair, w/floodsaver pan on platform, 2nd floor

I've been reading this forum for a few months now.

Here's my plan.

I've ordered from Lowe's a Bosch 500 series pair. I've ordered from Floodsaver.com their large surround with a drainless pan.

I am considering building a platform to raise the machines between 8 and 10 inches. The actual height depends on the nominal sizes of the wood to build it. (Hubby is 6' tall, I'm 5' 6", so not too concerned about not being able to reach the top or read the display.)

The laundry area will be in the upstairs hallway of my cape, against the knee wall at the front of the house. The floodsaver pan and surround will be mounted on the platform, and we'll install a drain which is required by code to just exit, rather than going into a the main drain via a trap.

Would someone with this Bosch set, please measure the width and depth of the washer, at a point 3-4 inches above the floor, for me, so I can confirm it will actually fit in the 3" deep pan OK?

The house is solid enough. It was built in 1987 and was not a shoddy construction. I've been told by some folks "don't put front loaders upstairs at all," and by others to go ahead but just [insert their pet sound-proofing idea here]. I've got a wealth of ideas provided, but here's what I think makes the most sense out of all that have been offered.

The platform is to raise the machine openings so I don't have to "grovel in front of the washer." I can't use the manufacturer's pedestals with the floodsaver pan because the drawers won't open. And besides, the Bosch drawers are so shallow as to be pretty worthless anyway.

Base of platform to be 1" plywood. Structure of it to be "overengineered" with 2x6 or 2x8 joists, and the base screwed up into the platform's own joists and down into the actual joists below the subfloor in the house. The top surface to be 1" plywood, again, screwed into the platform's own joists. Stuff the whole thing with insulation to reduce some of the sound amplification.

The floodsaver gets fastened down to the surface it's mounted on by the edge flanges. I'm wondering just how hard this installation will be for the Lowe's guys?

The floodsaver's inside width is approximately 27.50" and the front to back inside measurement is approximately 32.00" Will we be able to reach the leveling feet?

Shoot holes in these ideas if there are holes to be shot. And if you have better suggestions, bring them on!

Thanks!

Paula

Here is a link that might be useful: FloodSaver 3

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida