SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimster_gw

Acquired Tastes

jimster
13 years ago

Several recent threads go me thinking about acquired tastes. The flavor of some foods apparently must nearly always be acquired. With other foods it seems to be an individual thing, some need to acquire the taste, others have it from day one. The most interesting thing about acquired tastes to me is that the greater my revulsion before acquiring a taste for something, the more I liked it afterward. I crave some foods I used to hate. A couple of examples:

Olives - As a child, that taste revolted me. It wasn't required that I eat them of course, but they were often included as an ingredient in something I would otherwise enjoy such as egg salad. The acquisition of a taste for olives coincided with discovery of the taste of martinis. Olives, especially the funky Greek and Italian ones, are now a favorite treat for me.

Cilantro - The first time I grew cilantro in my garden the smell of it, even just as I walked past it, was so off-putting that I had to dispose of it. Somehow, that was reversed during my first trip to Mexico when cilantro in a seafood cocktail suddenly hit the right spot with me. I really like cilantro now when it is in Mexican or Asian dishes and I do my best to grow a good supply of it.

Jim

P.S. Annie, I hate to think that anyone would force champagne on you. I freely volunteer to dispose of your share, just as one friend to another. No need for you to acquire that taste.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor