SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimster_gw

Salt Rising Bread

jimster
17 years ago

Is anyone here familiar with salt rising bread? The thread on sourdough got me thinking about it. The linked recipe may appear to be like sourdough but it is very different. Salt rising bread uses a type of fermentation which is different from sourdough and produces a different flavor and texture. It may be an acquired taste but, having eaten it since childhood, I've always liked it. Whenever I or any of my siblings go home we bring a loaf back for everyone. It's best toasted and buttered.

Recipes are scarce. I have not tried the linked recipe. However, the comments included convince me it is authentic. Salt rising bread is notorious for producing a "disagreeable odor" while being made and it has a fine, somewhat dense texture. It has a mild odor while toasting, which you may or may not find pleasant.

Salt rising bread is made by a local bakery or two in the town where I grew up. I believe it is of German origin, as are many families there. Most people don't bake their own because of the odor and, even more so, because it is kind of unreliable. Sometimes it just fails for no apparent reason.

Don't ask me where the name comes from. It contains no more salt than any other bread and I doubt the salt has anything to do with its rising.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt Rising Bread Recipe

Comments (9)