SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pinus strobus Photo Gallery 2010

Originally when I started collecting conifers I virtually ignored pines as worthy of my attention as a collector. I had not the space nor the love for the open, wirey 'non-graceful' conifers(in my young opinion then) so much that I had several hundred conifers before I had a dozen pine cultivars. Slowly they became an acquired taste and now I find them indespensible in the conifer garden, both for their showy cones and lovely, many varying forms. I'm particularly found of softer needled pines and Pinus strobus fits right in there. The lovely shades of blue and green are wonderful to my eyes, so with that, let me share a few with you(and you with me):

Pinus strobus 'Merrimack'. Almost a miniature, seems to put on a couple inches of dense growth a year. Super-shaggy style pine.

Pinus strobus 'Gold Painted'. A large upright, 'open' pine with gold patches here and there, sometimes entire branches are golden yellow.

Closeup.

'Sea Urchin'. If there is a lovelier pine, I'd like to see it.

'Sarah Rachal'. Okay, maybe this is that lovelier pine! An exceptional plant, one I acquired from Coenosium Gardens.

'Kruger's Lilliput'. A smallish dwarf, I have this in part shade, so another pine/shade experiment is in the works.

'Pacific Sunset'. No real information though I've heard it has golden hues.

'Horsford Dwarf'. On standard. A nice compact pine, lots of candles maybe grows 3-4 inches a year?

Suddenly I realize I have a lot of Pinus strobus cultivars!

I guess I like it more then even I expected.

-Will

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living