SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Flight of Fancy ---- Fooling with Fried Frying Pan

We at CF here all cook, and most of us also garden.

What do you do with retired non-stick frying pans? Junk them in the recycle bin? How about re-purpose them into something for the garden?

I once in a while contribute and post ideas to the "Garden Junk" Forum. I enjoy the many retired folks there. Really nice people. I have never seen a fight broke out there. I admire those people there who always keep their minds active. I wish one day when I retire, I could be as pleasant as they are and not become a know-it-all nasty old fart.

Comments welcome to my latest very silly idea there; From your kitchen trash bin to your garden, and would love to see some of your ideas too. It would be a lot of fun.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg0716410728920.html?45

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg07154209528.html

dcarch

{{gwi:165225}}

Comments (24)

• caliloo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

" I have never seen a fight broke out there. "

Really? Now I know you are full of BS since you have participated in some of the more controversial threads over there. And I think you already are a "know it all" based on your postings.......

Alexa

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

"I dont post it here because if I do it would cause an immediate uproar that I am trying to tell someone how things are supposed to be done." - dcarch, unprovoked, on WFD 309

"I once in a while contribute and post ideas to the 'Garden Junk' Forum. I enjoy the many retired folks there. Really nice people. I have never seen a fight broke out there. I admire those people there who always keep their minds active. I wish one day when I retire, I could be as pleasant as they are and not become a know-it-all nasty old fart." - dcarch, opening post, this thread

I gotta say dcarch, I'm honestly disappointed. You have an admirable history of keeping such a cool head, almost to a fault. Recently you've been obviously much more well-received around here. I, for one, have been happy to see that. Maybe you haven't been so happy about it though? Miss being the whipping boy? Losing street cred with the anti-crowd?

• Related Discussions

Frustrated! Tired of "fancy stoves won't make you a better cook"

Q

Comments (29)
    This is all about "performance" -- range performance, car performance, cooking performance. This is also about status, fantasy and guilt. It also might be about property value. Some very famous cooks didn't have "high performance" equipment. And it's amazing how home cooks in other countries don't have all this fancy equipment and yet manage to turn out delicious meals. I've had wonderful food cooked in a fireplace and on a hot plate. If you can cook, a high performance range makes it easier and can give you more control and eliminate a struggle against a range (which is certainly annoying). If you can't cook well, and don't learn to season, no appliance will help.
    ...See More

You Want Fries With That?

Q

Comments (57)
    Interesting dish and I agree with, Mitch. This forum seems to have a developed a distinct "mean girls" quality which I think is emboldened by a pack mentality nurtured by their escape pod ;) I guess they don't see how rude their comments really are - is all an amusement. Carry, on Dcarch!!! Much more interesting and creative than seeing yet another roast chicken or baguette.
    ...See More

OK - I want to get this darn Fry Daddy

Q

Comments (13)
    Angelaid, would it help to retrofit your lower storage to rollout tray shelves? The cupboards would hold a little less but it would be a lot easier to get at what you have. Definitely get rid of the Fry Daddy since storage is out. Maybe you can rearrange the contents of your cupboards and baking rack so that the only things that are downstairs are once a year kinds of things that you can take up and down in stages and at leisure, and more regular things, like the roaster, even though it's big, can live in the kitchen. Maybe even keep a small table or basket by the stairs on each level for things that are going up or down. I do that and it works well for me. For frozen things going down to the big freezer I leave a nylon tote bag there to remind me to take them. I'd keep all the "discards" for at least a year, though, to make sure I really didn't want them anymore. Whenever I don't do that, I get rid of something I end up wanting. DC, good idea about the rice noodles. I have them. :) It won't get me to put away the thermometer, but definitely easier to use. :)
    ...See More

Usefulness of electric frying pan

Q

Comments (19)
    The first thing I ever learned to cook, at about age 5, was pancakes using moms electric frying pan, The kind with the big long handle like a pan and the temp dial and cord on the end, not detachable. That thing got a lot of use over the years. Somebody gifted me a B&D square buffet type many years ago which I used quite often, again for pancakes but also stuff like swiss steak, casseroles. Then I sort of stopped using it, why I don't know, and I use stove top pans now. Naturally being the appliance collector I am I have numerous..in fact I just found this beautiful poppy red one not long ago, unused. It's a GE
    ...See More
  • gbsim1
    13 years ago

Wow!!! Your final product is amazing! I'd never in a million years thought to have done something so creative. Unlike some recycled garden art, it doesn't look "junky" at all.... very nice!!!!

Grace

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Thanks, Grace, through my annoyance I obviously forgot to comment on the solar powered fountain. Definitely creative, artistic, and everything that makes me open dcarch's threads as soon as I see him post. Even beats last year's trowel!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

That's really amazing! One beautiful fountain.

• fearlessem
    13 years ago

That solar fountain just blew my mind! Fantastic! Love to see you make real art out of something that would otherwise be headed for a landfill.

• Rusty
    13 years ago

Not in the least bit silly, dcarch.
    Amazing, as are all of your creations.

Recycling is the most important concept in this century.

So very true!

Now if I can just get one made. . . . .

This should be posted on the "Trash to Treasure" forum, too.

Wonder if anyone would be interessted in a sort of 'contest'?

No prizes, just sort of a recycling "Show & Tell" type thing.

Rusty

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Posted by caliloo -----" I have never seen a fight broke out there. "
    Really? Now I know you are full of BS since you have participated in some of the more controversial threads over there. And I think you already are a "know it all" based on your postings....... Alexa"

For those of you who are wondering, this is what the whole thing is all about:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/con052156127878.html

You are very correct that I participated in that discussion. I was the one who explained to those from outside that forum that, Picasso had done many work using junk, Any Warhol with soup cans, Keith Harings graffiti, Grandma Moses folk art, Claes Oldenburgs baseball bat, etc. that people from outside of that forum should not come in and tell these wonderful retired folks that what they do are stupid and tasteless. It is very hurtful and unkind to them. There is a difference between saying" What you do is not my cup of tea" and "What you do is rubbish". They never claimed that they are producing museum pieces. As I remember, I never used one single nasty word in that discussion which was pulled. But apparently you and I have a very different understanding of what are nasty words. In any case as they say, action speaks louder than words.

"Posted by foodonastump ------ I gotta say dcarch, I'm honestly disappointed. You have an admirable history of keeping such a cool head, almost to a fault. Recently you've been obviously much more well-received around here. I, for one, have been happy to see that. Maybe you haven't been so happy about it though? Miss being the whipping boy? Losing street cred with the anti-crowd?"

FOAS, in that same thread, I have since developed a great deal of respect for you based on your sensible comments there. I accept the fact that you do have a balanced view on many issues, and I dont remember you have ever been nasty or obnoxious to anyone. However, you and I disagree on a few issues. I have a different opinion on the inconsistence of the many claims of friendliness here and why the problem never seems to cease, and never will. Nevertheless, I will take your advice in the most positive spirit. And of course, I appreciate your praises. Thank you very much.

"Posted by gbsim ----- Wow!!! Your final product is amazing! I'd never in a million years thought to have done something so creative. ------ Grace"

Thanks. Truth be told, I am too cheap to buy a professional birdbath. :-)

"Posted by bumblebeez ----- That's really amazing! One beautiful fountain."

Thanks. Come to think of it, I need to throw Three Coins In The Fountain :-)

"Posted by fearlessem ------- That solar fountain just blew my mind! Fantastic! Love to see you make real art out of something that would otherwise be headed for a landfill."

Thanks. Interestingly it is a very "Zen" experience to discover hidden beauty in throw away things. If we can only try to do the same thing with the way we throw away people in jails, troubled-youth facilities, etc.

"Posted by therustyone -----Not in the least bit silly, dcarch. Amazing, as are all of your creations. ---- Now if I can just get one made. . . . . Rusty"

Thanks. I dont think you can get one. I was told that aluminum pan never gets Rusty. (Sorry, LOL)

dcarch

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Boy, talk about a downer. That controversies from past threads (along with a few gratuitous insults) should be thrown into a brand new, potentially very enjoyable, funny one saddens me.

I guess too many people have never heard the old saw that if you can't say anything nice, it's better to say nothing at all.

I don't see that dcarch said anything nasty or disagreeable in his opening post, but I noticed a couple of other people do so in their responses.

I find the "unprovoked" comment ironic, under the circumstances.

As for the recycling of used items...I'm not anywhere near as creative, though I do make pots for houseplants out of things like SPAM cans, gallon Kikkoman soy sauce cans, or other food products that come in tins that have the product names directly on the metal rather than using a wrap around plastic or paper label. They're funny, and always provoke comments. Gotta be sure and keep a dish or something under them though, as they do rust.

Ha ha, I made a pot for a fern once out of an old, beaded purse...

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

With you on this one rachelellen.

Original Author
    13 years ago

I am here to proke :-) [exchanging and sharing of new ideas]

What do you do in the winter and you want home grown fresh tomatoes for your salads?

Yes, Rachellen, throw away cans and bottles!

You can do this:

dcarch
    {{gwi:177266}}

{{gwi:177262}}

{{gwi:177260}}

{{gwi:177272}}

• lindac
    13 years ago

DC....no one on the cooking forum posted anything on the Garden Junk forum....you posted the link to the CF post on the Junk forum....copied below is your post.

RE: If poster of funny thread could

clip this post email this post what is this?
    see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
    Sat, May 9, 09 at 13:50

Found this here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/con052156127878.html?19
    dcarch

Someone said you were a trouble maker...this looks like proof to me.

As for comparing...say Picasso's Bicycle seat Toro or Warhol's soup cans or Claes Oldenberg's Trowel sculptures with stuff produced by most kitchen table crafters....why it's blasphemy.

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Rachelellen - If you can honestly read the third paragraph of the opening post and accuse anyone other than dcarch to be the first to introduce wounds of the past into this thread, then I find it pointless to debate.

dcarch - As usual you're a gentleman, even if we don't always see eye to eye. Peace.

Original Author
    13 years ago

"Posted by lindac ----Someone said you were a trouble maker...this looks like proof to me. "

Yes, I should stop deluding myself, and dare to compare myself with your kindness, friendliness, humility and your habit of keeping peace which you are so well known for in all the forums where you visit.

" As for comparing...say Picasso's Bicycle seat Toro or Warhol's soup cans or Claes Oldenberg's Trowel sculptures with stuff produced by most kitchen table crafters....why it's blasphemy. "

Blasphemy? Guilty as charged. I admit I am a no good agnostic when it comes to snobbishness in art. May be I too will take your advice and go insult those tasteless folks.

(Gosh, I hope I have not misssspel any words here.)

FOAS, Peace. This place is getting funnier by the day! :-)

I shall post no further response on this strange turn of topic. Do feel free to comment on my original intended post.

dcarch

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

foodonastump...I read, re-read and read a third time the entire post, paying particular attention to the third paragraph. And no, I can see nothing that deserved responses such as I read.

It seems to me that a mention of another forum and how much one appreciates the posters who contribute to it can not be taken as negative by anyone other than someone who is looking for a reason to be offended.

It may be that you have a negative history with dcarch that I am unaware of, in which case I wonder why you bother to involve yourself in the topic begun by someone with whom you have experienced such unpleasantness?

I'm sure it was not your intention to ruin the topic for everyone else, but that is turning out to be the result. I don't know who upset whom in some past topic thread, and I don't care. I am interested, though, in the idea of people making fun things out of throw away stuff.

The soda bottle pots crack-ah-me-up! Gotta try some. One can only use so many hummingbird feeders. Oh boy, just what I need is another project.

Original Author
    13 years ago

"----The soda bottle pots crack-ah-me-up! Gotta try some. -----"

Give this a try, it is a lot of fun:

I used the soda bottle pots to grow various toatomes. I plant them and time them to ripen perfectly for the Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner.

Imagine having these beautiful potted tomatoes to decorate your table setting and have your guests pick their own tomatoes for their salad, right on the table!

dcarch

• Rusty
    13 years ago

I totally agree with Rachelellen's first post.
    And her second one, too.

I also went back & read the reread the original post, especially the third paragraph.
    And it still seems a simple and straight forward compliment to posters on another forum.

I really don't understand the need of some people here to twist everything around into something negative.

Dcarch, thanks for posting the planters again.
    Now I remember why I have that box of empty bottles in the garage.
    ;>)
    Okay, so aluminum pans don't get Rusty, but maybe, hopefully, Rusty can get aluminum pans.

Hmmm-m-m--m-mm-m-mmm. . . . .
    Aluminum joints maybe? ? ? ? (Wishfull thinking)

Rusty

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! "Now I remember why I have that box of empty bottles in the garage"

When I moved from the Bay Area to the Valley, I came across my collection of brandy bottles. The brand I buy comes in a rather pretty bottle, and I believe that I had the idea of saving them up as containers for my Basil Olive Oil and Sun Dried Tomato Vinegar. Christmas presents, you know, pretty red & green.

I expect the garbage collector thought he'd discovered an alcoholic of truly prodigious capacity.

dcarch, I'm wondering about paints to stick on plastic, are they simple spray paints?

Original Author
    13 years ago

"----Okay, so aluminum pans don't get Rusty, but maybe, hopefully, Rusty can get aluminum pans.----"

You need a good sense of humor to laugh at things nowadays! :-)

"dcarch, I'm wondering about paints to stick on plastic, are they simple spray paints?"

Those pots will not be banged around much, so any spray paint would work. I didnt even have to sand the surface rough. You can get faux stone spray from Home Depot and really make them look nice enough as gifts when you go visit friends.

dcarch

• triciae
    13 years ago

rachellen,

I'll bet Krylon Fusion paint for plastics would work.

I created a moss garden planted directly on the top of an old plastic outdoor table. I stuck sphagnum moss through the decorative open spaces on the table top to use as a sub-strata for the mosses then added an African violet & a mini hosta. I wanted to freshen the entire table before I started so I sprayed with this stuff...worked great & has weathered outside well.

dcarch, I love your fountain!

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Krylon Fusion paint for plastics

Original Author
    13 years ago

"--dcarch, I love your fountain! ----/tricia"

Yeah? Too bad you are not the one I am trying to please! LOL. (Just kidding, Thanks)

I just came back from work, the sun is still out and the fountain is still percolating, but I don't know if any bird has bathed in it yet. I didnt see any feather around.

I love exchanging ideas. You throw an idea out and someone comes back with a good suggestion. Yes, someone had told me about Krylon Fusion paint for plastics, I couldnt remember what it was. Thats the best paint for plastic. Thanks for the information.

dcarch

• jimster
    13 years ago

darch, you bring an incredible amount of fun to this forum. It's because you have so much fun yourself and then expend the effort required to share it with us. You have an appreciative audience here. Now don't get all embarrassed and blushy. This is not flattery, just the facts.

Originality is a rarity. Especially originality which is combined with quality. I've had hundreds of what I thought were original ideas, then found out later that someone had already done it. Many of your ideas (especially your artistic platings) are original, at least they are to my eye.

I don't need to deal with the negative posts. Rachelellen has done that perfectly. I just want to express my agreement with her. Enough about that.

Keep on having fun (as if I needed to say that, LOL!). Keep on sharing with us. Keep your sense of humor.

Jim

Original Author
    13 years ago

Jim,

What are you talking about? What negative posts? Here?
    All are learning experiences just the same. Some about cooking and many about human nature.

BTW, I left a comment on the previous WFD thread. The flurry of extra efforts by many member here in the past few hours to contribute had pushed it to oblivion. I can't seem to fid it.

Yes, have fun. Life is too short.

dcarch

• jimster
    13 years ago

Yes, dcarch. I saw that comment. I was in too much of a hurry to acknowledge it. There was chaos here due to visitors for the week. Your comment made me blush (figuratively). I thought it was excessive praise. But hey, I'll take any praise I can get these days, even it undeserved. It compensates for some of the bad stuff.

Jim