SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starlightfarm

Whole Salmon Fillet...... best way to cook it?

starlightfarm
14 years ago

I have a very large salmon fillet. I usually buy the smaller fillets, but this was on sale, so I've had it in the freezer and I'm finally ready to attempt cooking the entire thing!

I preparing dinner for my Mom and Dad tonight, so I thought I would try cooking the whole fillet. Normally I sear the bottoms of the smaller pieces in my cast iron pan and then finish them in the oven under the broiler. I like my fish very well-done (and hubby eats anything that I put in front of him... so no problems there!). Normally I put a little butter and lemon pepper seasoning... nothing fancy.

I would like to have some type of yummy glaze to fancy it up a bit! Any suggestions? Balsamic vinegar, honey???

Any help will be very much appreciated! (also... specifics on the best way to cook it... and how long to make sure that it is perfectly cooked). Since it is a fillet, it has a thinner tail end, so I'm sure it will be well done and I can eat off of that end!

I'm cooking it tonight..... any quick tips and recipes??

Comments (36)

• annie1992
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you going to try to keep it in one piece for presentation?

I'd probably cut it into smaller serving sized portions, glaze it with maple and teriyaki and grill it. I use about twice as much maple syrup as teriyaki sauce but it will stick so watch it carefully.

I've got a glaze recipe I haven't tried yet because I don't want to buy a whole bottle of bourbon, LOL, but it takes half a stick of butter, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of bourbon, mix together and heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then glaze your salmon.

It would be impressive in puff pastry too, I don't have a recipe here but I'm sure someone does.

You could do it in foil or parchment, I got this recipe from Fork in the Road with my favorite Michigan chef, Eric Villegas:

Salmon En Papillote (Show #405)
    Show #405

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons evcp olive oil

4 - 8 ounce salmon fillets, coho, king etc, skinned sea salt black pepper, freshly ground

1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh

1 cup red onions, julienne

1 cup yellow squash, julienne

1 cup carrots, julienne

1 cup zuchinni, julienne

1 cup portabella mushroom caps, julienne

1 cup red bell pepper, julienne

24 optional mussels, cleaned and debeared

1 cup fresh bread crumbs, optional

8 tablespoons compound butter, see recipe

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fold 4 sheets of aluminum (15 by 36 inch) in half like a book, and cut a half heart shape, away from the fold. Open the foil to reveal a heart shape on a flat surface, and brush each with 1 tablespoon of evcp olive oil.

Generously season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. In a large mixing bowl add all of the vegetables and season with the salt, pepper and lemon juice, mix to combine. Divide the vegetables evenly between the four sheets mounding the vegetables in the center of one half of the foil heart. Top the vegetables with the salmon fillets and top the each fillet with two tablespoons of the compound butter.

At this point you can add the optional mussels (6 per papillote) and divide the fresh breadcrumbs (1/4 cup per papillote) by sprinkling over the top.

To close each bag, fold the second side of the paper over the salmon, fold the bottom edge over the top, and work your way edge over edge, folding and twisting, until the bag is sealed.

Place each bag on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 -20 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through.

To serve, place a bag on each dinner plate and using a paring knife slit each bag in an "X", and fold back the foil (being very careful of the built up steam when you open the pouches).

Serve hot in the foil "papillote" or remove from the foil directly onto the dinner plates.

2000 eric villegas

If you want to leave it whole, you could grill it on a cedar plank with some fresh herbs and a brushing of honey/mustard and a sprinkle of dill.

Yum, can you tell that I just love salmon? Oh, and there's salmon salad and salmon chowder and salmon cakes and smoked salmon and.....

Annie

• starlightfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow... all that sounds wonderful! The maple syrup/teriyaki sounds very do-able for me! Do you use equal amounts of each?

I was going to try to cook it whole, but it may be better/easier to cut it in portions and cook it that way.

I'm off the hook for tonight.... but it's back on the menu for tomorrow, so I have a little more time to prepare (whew!).

So.... sear skin side down in pan... then place under broiler and baste with the teriyaki/maple syrup glaze?? Or do you "bake" it instead of broil it? I'm afraid that the syrup will burn if I place it under a hot broiler....

Thanks so much!

• Related Discussions

Help! I'm cooking a whole beef tenderloin

Q

Comments (10)
    OOH Linda, 150°F is well done in my book. If you want it rare I'd take it out of the oven at 120°F or no more than 125°F at the most. Resting for 20 minutes will bring it up to about 130°F give or take a few degrees. Anything over 135 is over cooked especially for a beef tenderloin. I usually do mine on the grill. But Barbara Kakfa's high heat oven method is fool proof. Roasted Whole beef Fillet (Barbara Kafka) According to Barbara........"I buy the meat by the inch. It cooks exactly the same way no matter the length as long as it s more than 4 inches long. When ordering, I usually allow about an inch and a quarter per person and an extra half inch for the two end slices. By this rule, six people will require an eight inch piece of fillet. The muscles in a fillet all run lengthwise so that when it is sliced across the serving it is also tenderized. The fillet is also called the tenderloin, and it is tender. It is a long round muscle that hides behind the bones on which the shell steak and the rib roast reside. T-bone steaks have some of the shell and, on the other side of the bone, a circle of the fillet, or tenderloin. A filet mignon is a slice cut across the whole fillet to make an individual steak. 4 to 5 pound whole beef fillet (about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter, a good 18 inches long) 1 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3/4 cup red wine for deglazing, optional, or 1 recipe semi-perigourdine sauce Place oven rack on second level from bottom. heat oven to 500°F Place fillet in an 18 x 12 x 2 inch roasting pan. Rub fillet with butter and oil. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. roast for 10 minutes. turn. roast 10 minutes more. Transfer fillet to a serving platter. Pour or spoon off excess fat. Put pan on top of the burner. Add the wine or sauce and bring contents to a boil while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Let reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper.
    ...See More

Too Much $!#%� Salmon - Make Lox?

Q

Comments (19)
    You could have just invited us over, and we would have taken care of your bounty. I LOVE salmon. When I end up with to much at hand (because of price...) I cook it all, then freeze single portions for later consumption, except maybe one portion for the next day. I love salmon in salads, on sandwiches, with tators and a salad.. Just gimme some. :) Moni
    ...See More

Best Type Of Fry Pan for cooking lake fish!

Q

Comments (9)
    I generally use cast iron. Gotta be deep enough to hold a decent amount of oil, and the thermal retention properties of cast iron keeps the temp of the oil from dipping too quickly when you add the fish. (But don't fill the pan up at once with fish; add the fish a few at a time so the temperature doesn't plummet. If the temperature goes down too much, the crust won't 'set' and it will instead become a sponge for all the oil. Yuck.) And as an added bonus, deep frying stuff is a great way to season (or enhance the seasoning on) cast iron. Another very good way to fry fish is to use an electric frypan, if it's deep enough. These have a thermostat that makes keeping the right temperature a snap. Just thinking: you don't see those electric skillets as much as you used to. In the sixties, everybody seemed to have one on the counter.
    ...See More

Michelle, Salmon Recipe

Q

Comments (3)
    Cutting and pasting this one AM as we're salmon fans as well and are always happy to try doing it another way. Thanks for posting! SharonCb
    ...See More
  • lindac
    14 years ago

I would have used a saw to cut it up while frozen if you don'
    t think you will eat the whole thing.
    I mix terayaki with brown sugar and a little garlic powder....spread it on the fish and grill; until it just flakes. You will have to back down the heat as with a big thick piece of fish it may char before the inside is done.
    I woujld worry about the puff pastry getting done before the fish is done...I would save that for a smaller piece.
    How about easy...
    Poach it cna serve it chilled nicely garnished with lemon slices and radish roses and carrot curls
    Wrap the side of fish in a piece of muslin or a clean cotton ( not terry cloth!)....
    Get out your roaster pan, put about 4 inches of water in the bottom and a sliced onion and a couple of stalks of celery, a few sprigs of parsley...maybe some dill seeds and a couple of bay leaves and half a lemon....squeeze the juice and toss in the rind. Simmer that for about 30 minutes, then put in the wrapped fish and si9mmer until it's done....about 30 minutes for a piece of fish that is more than an inch thick....open the towel and test to see if the fish flakes and is opaque.
    Then haul the salmon out and place on a plate, remove the towel and wrap the fish and cover and chill.
    Garnish the platter as you see fit and servew ith a tzaki sauce or tartar sauce or a sauce or capers and a mix of sour cream and mayo.
    Good do ahead food.
    Linda C

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

I think a whole, large salmon filet makes for a stunning presentation in a proportionate serving platter. Little pieces are so ... ho-hum.

Annie's three ideas sound marvelous: "en croute", "en papillote" and the maple-teriyaki glaze.

A couple more ideas:

-- poached (lots of easy recipes and some look stunning served either cold or hot).

-- "smoke-grilled"; I melt 1/2 cup butter with 3 tablespoons good olive oil and one large clove garlic, minced, and when that cools a little, I add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons chopped fennel and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. I allow that to cool completely. I place the salmon filet on a piece of thick aluminum foil. When the topping is cooled, I brush it onto the filet. It might take 2 or 3 coats to get it on nicely. Allow it to cool completely so the topping firms up and then cut the foil so that it's exactly the size/shape of the filet.

Then it, with foil, goes onto the barbie that's been preheated to high, the lid is pulled down, the heat is turned down to medium-low and the filet takes about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size/thickness.

I love fennel; you might like dill.

Joe

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Here's my recipe for a glaze. Just brush it on and place under broiler till the fish is done. It is superb with a just perfect kick from the horseradish

2 Tbsp Reduced-fat tub margarine or regular butter
    1 Tbsp Brown sugar
    1 Tbsp Honey
    1 tsp Soy sauce
    2 tsp Horseradish mustard

Mix all ingredients in small saucepan over medium low heat and stir to combine.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

starlight farm, I never broil because my super cheap oven has the broiler on the bottom and I have to lie on my stomach on the floor to use the broiler. What a stupid design!

I either let Elery put the fish on the grill or I bake it, but I think the broiler would make a nice, caramelized gooey finish with the maple syrup. Yum., I just love anything with maple syrup. Elery says if he put maple syrup on a railroad tie, I'd probably try it. (grin)

I probably would broil the fish partially, then add the glaze, so it would get bubbly and sticky, but not scorch.

OK, now you've done it. I have salmon thawing for supper.

Annie

• cooksnsews
    14 years ago

I'm not a fan of sweet on salmon, so I do my whole fillets this way:

Marinate for 30 min or so with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped garlic, S&P, and rosemary.

Sear both sides on a verrrry hot cast iron griddle (I like crispy bits on the unskinned side), then finish in a 450F oven until cooked.

I like serving the entire thing on a nice large platter garnished with lemon slices. I also cook individual steaks/fillets this way when the rest of the family wants hot dogs (Blechhh! I'm the only one who likes salmon, but NOT HDs).

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

I found this recipe on The Food Channel and have used it several times. It calls for filets, but I have made it using the whole big salmon filet increasing the sauce. And the original recipe served it over fettiucini, but I like the rice better with fish. It is served with a cucumber salad. I really like it.

JAPANESE SALMON over RICE

1/2 cup olive oil
    4 salmon filets (can substitute another firm-fleshed fish, i.e. redfish, swordfish, etc.)
    2 to 3 cloves garlic, grated with a Japanese ginger grater
    2-inch piece of shoga (ginger), grated
    2 naganegi, or 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
    1/4 cup shoyu (soy sauce), more or less (Soy sauce is high in sodium; salt is not needed.)
    Pepper to taste
    *1/4 cup sake
    **1/8 cup mirin
    ***½ teaspoon Wasabi (optional)
    Chicken broth (optional)
    Cooked rice

Put oil in a pan. Put the salmon filets in and flip to coat with oil. Rub both sides of salmon with garlic and ginger. Mix together remaining ingredients, except for broth and rice, in a separate bowl. Pour half of the mixture over the salmon. Cook over medium heat, covered, for 5 minutes. Turn salmon and add the rest of the mixture. If it needs more liquid, add chicken broth 1/4 cup at a time. When salmon is opaque all the way through, remove from heat. Place the salmon on top of the rice and pour remaining liquid over salmon and rice. Garnish with slivered pickled ginger.

CUCUMBER SALAD

1 cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
    ½ cup thinly sliced onions
    1/8 cup rice vinegar
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 tablespoon mirin
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    ½ teaspoon wasabi
    Chopped fresh dill
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together. Served chilled.

• michaelmaxp
    14 years ago

I just BBQ'd two big fillet yesterday to rave reviews. Easy peezy

- Soak cedar plank in water 6-ish hours
    - Mix 1 part Teriyaki sauce, 2 parts maple syrup, garlic powder to taste (thanks lindac)
    - When grill is hot, place planks on for a minute or so to dry the suface.
    - rub some oil on smooth suface of the plank.
    - rub oil lightly on both sides of salmon and lay on plank skin side down.Cook in its entirety w/o flipping.
    - cover BBQ and monitor temp. Mine stayed 300 to 325 although the heat from the coals (or propane) were medium to high.
    - the cedar starts to smoke and steam almost instantly infusing a fantastic aroma into the salmon.
    - I brushed the glaze on after about 5 minutes and repeated it once 15 or 20 minutes later.
    - check temp at 20 minutes. Shoot for 135 for a nice moist fillet. Mine came out 137 to 150 (thick to thin)
    - the 150 was a tad dry but overall this was a great piece of salmon enjoyed by all alot- even by a few folks that don't eat alot of salmon, including me.

michaelp

• bob_cville
    14 years ago

This is a super-simple recipe I've developed that is my go-to dish when I need to quickly throw together a meal to impress. (As in when the wife calls me at work at 5:00 and says "I've invited these people over to dinner, tonight, at 6:00. Do we have any food in the house?")

I find it works best to slice the meat of the filet into serving sized pieces 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide, but not slice through the skin. Place it on a foil covered baking pan, skin side down, slather on the teriyaki-ginger mixture let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and then simply broil it in an oven preheated to 400 deg F (with the broiler temp also set to 400 if your oven can do that)

TERIYAKI-GINGER GLAZED SALMON

Purchase about 1 pound of salmon filet for every three people. This recipe work best with salmon that is about 1" thick maximum, and fairly uniform in cross-section.

Salmon filet
    Consorzio-brand California Teriyaki Marinade
    Ginger paste

Combine equal amounts of the teriyaki marinade and the ginger paste, and apply 2-3 teaspoons of the sauce to the salmon filet.

Leave the salmon sit, while the oven preheats to 400 deg F

When the oven is up to temperature, switch it to broil, and place salmon on top rack. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. If the top starts to get too dark, switch the oven back to bake for the remaining time.

I usually serve the salmon with a rice pilaf and a something like steamed broccoli.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Starlight:
    Next time you get a large piece of Salmon,
    try cutting in half and Lay Crab Cake Stuffing in between.
    Spoon some Sauce on and Bake.

Shape it like a fish. Put a Black Olive in for the eye.

I'll put in the Recipe and Photo's if you want.
    Lou

• hawk307
    14 years ago

You can use any Fish Filet of your choice.

I have about 8 Tilapia Fillets saved for this.

LOU

• Virginia7074
    14 years ago

Umm - I love salmon and all of these sound great!

I cedar-planked some sockeye fillets yesterday, too. Soaked the plank for an hour, sprinkled the salmon with sea salt, cracked pepper and brown sugar. Grilled over direct heat about 15 minutes or so. Smelled like Alaska!

Served with grilled pineapple chipotle salsa. Also had sweet corn, herbed focaccia, green beans and 'shrooms. Dessert was frozen white chocolate mousse cake.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Lou, I would love to see pix of that presentation.

There was a restaurant many years ago that served salmon mousse in the shape of a fish - fabulous. It's old-fashioned now I guess because restaurants don't serve it anymore. There's a recipe for it in Silver Palate but I've always been intimidated by it. I would also love to do salmon in pastry. Again - stuff I'm intimidated by.

I also adjust how I prepare salmon by the quality of the salmon and its freshness. Frozen filet packages - these are generally tougher than fresh, so I cook en papillote (or in foil) in the oven with aromatic vegetables and sauces to seal and steam in the moisture. Sometimes poach in herbs and spices (crab boil spice is fine). I don't saute or grill these frozen ones.

For fresh I love filets just lightly sauteed in butter and lemon.

I made a whole fresh wild salmon piece for a group last week. We were at a vacation rental with a kitchen so didn't have a lot to work with. In a large piece of foil, I covered the salmon with fresh basil chiffonade (with scissors), then laid thin lemon slices overlapping over the whole piece. Dabs of butter and fresh-squeezed lemon juice over all, S&P to taste. Closed up the foil. Baked on 350 for I don't remember how long. It was fabulous. But it WAS fresh and high quality.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Gina:
    Stuffed Flounder or Salmon

Here is the mix that I used for the Stuffing.
    The Photo wasn't too good, because I forgot it in the Oven
    but it was really tasty.
    I'll find it and put it in later.

I used this recipe for the " I baked a School of Fishes "
    Do you remember them. Got a lot of feedbacks.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

LOUS - Baked Salmon or Crab, Cakes

Chopped small , 1/3 cup each of : Onion, Celery , Red Bell Pepper and
    Micro wave for 2 minutes. With 2 tbsp of water Let it cool .

In a Bowl , put 1 - 14 ¾ oz. can of Pink Salmon or Crab Meat and
    break up larger pieces. ( You can substitute Imitation Crab meat )
    Sprinkle with : Black pepper and add:
    ½ teasp. of Garlic Powder , Onion Powder and ¼ level teasp.of Old Bay Seasoning.
    2 level teasp. of Parsley flakes
    2 Tablespoons of Parmesan Cheese
    ½ teaspoon of Mustard
    3 heaping tablespoons of Mayonnaise
    Fold and Blend this together with the Onions, Celery and Peppers
    add: 1 cup of Italian Bread Crumbs.

Beat 1 egg and add 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder, beat well.
    Add this to the Salmon mix and blend with a fork ( Just enough to mix it through.)
    If the mix is too wet add a little more Bread Crumbs

Make 6 Balls ( work easy ) and flatten slightly to 4 inches round and ¾ inches thick
    .I baked them on a cookie tin , lined with Aluminum Foil, sprayed with Pam

Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 320 Degrees. Then brush with melted butter and
    Broil on Low for 5 minutes or until a Golden Tan.
    Serve Hot or freeze separated w Plastic wrap , in a Zip Lock or container.
    - - - - - - - - - - -

BAKED STUFFED SALMON : SHAPED LIKE A FISH

Preparing Salmon Fillets or Flounder

1 small can of Spaghetti sauce
    10 pieces of Flounder Fillets

I lined a 10 X 16 in pan with aluminum foil
    Put half the Sauce in the pan
    Lay 5 pieces of Flounder in the pan a shape like a fish
    Put the stuffing mix ( Crab Cake mix )on the flounder and shape by hand
    Higher in the center.
    Lay the other pieces of flounder on top of the stuffing.
    Pour and spread the remaining sauce on the Flounder.
    Sprinkle with onion , Garlic powder and Parsley flakes
    Peel an onion an cut in half. Make 1/4 in. slices ( half Moons )
    Lay these of the fish to resemble scales. Put a black olive in for the eye after baking.
    Bake in 325 Deg. oven for ½ hour

I'll try to find the Photo
    Lou

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Gina:
    Here are the Photo's they're not good.
    When I do the Tilapia next week I hope to have a Better Photo of Stuffed Fillets.
    LOU

Some of the ingredients for the Stuffed Salmon

{{gwi:1501980}}

That's a Turkey Platter. and the Ugly Fish

{{gwi:1518626}}

Baked school of Fishes

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Starlightfarm, I'm too late for your Friday night dinner but you might want to try this recipe the next time. I've made this many times over the last 30 plus years.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Salmon With Julienne Vegetables
    ===============================
    Salmon Filets or steaks

Adapted from: Renowned restaurateur Umberto Menghi (1978)

1 large carrot
    1 stalk of celery
    1 lemon
    2 cloves garlic
    1 large shallot
    parsley
    white wine
    chicken broth (Optional instead of white wine
    Olive oil

Place salmon filets in a shallow oven proof dish.

Julienne carrots, celery, lemon zest,
    Chopped parsley,
    mince garlic
    chop shallots

Mix together and spread over top of the salmon.

Pour a little white wine,or chicken broth over the salmon and a squeeze of lemon juice. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and Pepper. Butter a piece of foil and place loosely on top of fish. Do not seal.

Bake in a 400° to 450° oven for approximately 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of salmon.

To serve. Place a piece of salmon on plate keeping some of the julienne vegetables on top.

• starlightfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, thank you for all the wonderful recipes. I opted to try the teriyaki/syrup glaze and it turned out fantastic! It was bright reddish/orange wild-caught salmon and tasted great.

I have printed off all these recipes and plan on trying them all soon! Salmon is so quick and easy to prepare, but I just needed some new ideas.... and you guys definitely gave me some!

Lou... Spaghetti sauce on Salmon?? Not something that I would have put together, but you have got my interest up and I may just have to try it now. I'm assuming from your recipes and pictures that you made the "school of fish" from the stuffing recipe? Would that be more like a crab cake or salmon pattie?? Looks wonderful.

• lindawisconsin
    14 years ago

This is my favorite as I found it. In my opinion there is too much sweetness so I cut back on the honey by half. It is written for individual portions, but I've used it on whole fillets with great success!
    Makes even the less than best salmon taste great!
    Honey-Ginger Salmon Bon Appétit : January 1999

Lantana's Restaurant, Grand Cayman BVI

At Lantana's, the salmon is served with spiced banana fritters.
    Yield: Serves 4
    ingredients
    6 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup hoisin sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chilies
    1 tablespoon golden brown sugar

4 8-ounce salmon steaks (each about 1 inch thick)
    Vegetable oil
    preparation

Stir honey, cilantro, hoisin sauce, ginger, chilies and brown sugar in bowl to blend.

Preheat broiler. Brush salmon steaks with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush with some of honey-ginger glaze. Broil salmon until opaque in center, basting occasionally with remaining glaze, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer salmon steaks to plates; serve.

Another favorite of mine:

Salmon with Cabernet Sauce
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Notes: Bernard Lecoq, the French-born owner of Cafe Bernard says that salmon recipe is not part of the menu but regularly shows up on a list of specials. Occasionally, customers call ahead, just to make sure the beloved salmon is being served. The sauce essentially is a reduction of red wine lavishly enriched with butter. A hint of tarragon flavoring comes from a splash of herb flavored vinegar. Because the dish is so simple, it is especially important to use to notch ingredients. LeCoq recommends a good California cabernet sauvignon. And the fish should be very fresh.

1 1/4 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
    1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons shallot, minced
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, 8 pieces
    4 salmon fillets, 6-7 ounces
    For the sauce, put wine, vinegar and shallots in a small saucepan. Boil until it is reduced to 6 tablespoons. Strain out shallots and return reduced wine mixture to pan. Over low heat, whisk in the butter, one piece at a time waiting until each is fully incorporated before adding another. (Bernard uses an immersion blender, which allows him to leave the shallots in the sauce.) Add salt and pepper to taste and keep warm.
    For the salmon, heat oven to 450 dgrees. Heat a film of oil in a heavy, ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add the fish, skin side up, and sear quickly. Turn with a metal spatula and transfer to oven. Cook until fish is no longer pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Alternatively, salmon can be grilled.
    To serve, spoon sauce over plates and top with a salmon fillet.

This one can also be served as a whole fillet. I just cook the whole salmon in the broiler until finished. The combination of the fish and the sauce is great. The wine must be really good for the best effect!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lindawisconsin, Elery wuld love tht first recipe with the ginger and the chipotles, I'm copying and pasting.....

thanks.

Annie

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Starlight:
    The School of Fishes were made from the ,
    Baked Salmon or Crab Cake recipe. Should have worded that,

Baked Salmon Cakes or Crab Cakes.

Now have Plastic Moulds to make the Small fish.

I use the Pink Salmon in the can.
    - - - - - - - - - -

As for the Spaghetti Sauce on the Salmon .

Fish can be cooked in Marinara Sauce with lots of Garlic and Parsley.

Many Seafoods are cooked with Tomatoes or a Sauce

So, Why can't Spaghetti Sauce be used on Salmon when Baked. ?????

When I make the Stuffed Tilapia; next week, shaped like a large fish, I'll Post it.

These are my Recipes, not from the internet.
    Although there may be some similar. ???

I'm betting you will Love it.

Is it a BET !!!!!
    LOU

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Because of this thread I bought a big piece of wild sockeye yesterday. Hmmm, now which of these preparations shall I do?

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

My favorite way to make salmon is to cover it with drained salsa mayonnaise mixture and bake it 400F for 20 minutes. Even if you bake a bit longer, it will not dry out. Best ever :)

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Gina:
    I noticed my Niece in Laguna Beach , cooks Salmon and other Fillets the same as you,
    along with many others who live in Ca. ???

You Know you wanted Salmon !!! Don't blame it on this Thread, .

I've noticed , when the Fish is Marinated then baked, like
    Puna: said ,it stays moist.

You can also Bake it like " Bacolao "

Gina: You know what that is ?

Save a " try this Recipe " for me!!!
    LOU

• trixietx
    14 years ago

Punamytsike, do you bake it covered with equal amounts of drained salsa and mayo? We love salmon and that sounds very interesting.

• stacy3
    14 years ago

oh my MY! I am saving this thread - such great ideas and photos! (but - really - the photo I want to see is of Annie lying on the kitchen floor to use her broiler - snicker)

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Bacalao is salt cod, right? Italian style would be cut it into chunks, bread it, fry it, smother in tomato sauce then bake?

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

Yep, about equal amount by volume. Use any salsa you like, but the chunkier the better, as you need to drain the liquid out, else the mixture turns too watery and will not stay on top of the fish.

• trixietx
    14 years ago

Thank you, punamytsike. It's on my to try list!

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

Here are couple of photos to illustrate
    salmon covered with mix ready for oven:

Done and served with pasta with clam sauce:

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Gina:
    Right !!! You win the Gold Star for today, BUT !

With Tomatoes it is sorta like a stew, not too much liquid.

The Cod wasn't breaded and fried.
    Large Green Olives and Onions were added, along with Garlic, Parsley , salt and Pepper.
    Baked at 350 until the Cod Flaked.
    This was the last way I had it, with Garlic Bread for dipping. My Sicilian MIL made it.
    The Sauce can be used over Spaghetti.

Stacy:
    Don't be BAD !!! A photo of Annie using the broiler.
    Is that what they call hind Sight ???

I found the other Photo to go with the Photo's in my 3rd Thread up.
    This is the Crab Cake filling laid over the Fillets,
    Ready to place the top Fillets.

{{gwi:1537459}}
    LOU

• annie1992
    14 years ago

A photo of me using the broiler? Hey, if lpinkmountain makes it to my house this weekend, I'll have her take a picture, just for you, Stacy!

Yes, Lou, it would definitely be "hind sight". (grin)

Annie

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I am much too late to be of any help to starlightfarm with her salmon dinner, but here is a really good recipe for a whole salmon.

Salmon Baked in Foil
    Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

1 whole salmon, 6-8 lb and cleaned
    1 c sliced carrots
    1 c sliced onion
    1 c sliced celery
    ½ tsp fresh thyme
    Salt to taste
    8 peppercorns, crushed
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 bay leaf
    2 c dry white wine

Preheat oven to 400F. Cover a baking sheet with foil. In bowl combine carrots, onion, celery, thyme, salt, peppercorns, garlic, bay leaf and wine. Place cleaned salmon in center of baking sheet, stuff with vegetable mixture and seal foil tightly around salmon.

Bake 50-60 minutes or until salmon is opaque in thickest part. Remove from oven and cool. Once cool, remove skin from fish and serve warm or chilled with Hollandaise or your choice of sauce. Makes 8-10 servings.

Linda

• starlightfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

doucanoe....yes, you were too late to help with this fillet, but there will be more to come... especially with all the wonderful recipes that I have to try now!

punamytsike..... salsa mayonnaise..... can you elaborate?? Is it literally drained salsa mixed with mayo? Equal amounts?? Sounds very good.

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

starlightfarm, yep, literally LOL. The leftover spicy tomato juice makes excellent Bloody Mary, if you are so inclined.

Either 1/1 cup or 0.5/0.5 cup, depending how large your fish is or how thick you want the mix or how many calories you can afford :)

This is the best ever, like I said before and only way I have made salmon since I discovered this method. It is so easy, I have yet to mess this up, knock on wood LOL

• stacy3
    14 years ago

hind sight...Lou you're so witty! LOL!