SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Kitchen Gadget: Waffle Maker

booberry85
12 years ago

My husband became rather found of the waffle maker in the hotel where we stayed recently. You could make your own waffles. So he did! (Sure see if I can get him to cook at home though!)

Anyway, This threads about all things waffles. What waffle maker do you have? Why did you pick that one? What's your favorite waffle recipe? What's your favorite way to "dress up" your waffles?

Comments (18)

• jessyf
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We insist on a waffle maker that 'beeps' so we know when it is ready. It got old hovering around the appliance waiting for the light to go on/off. Therefore we have a Waring Pro that we use SO much, DH has repaired it twice.

Our now standard waffle recipe, it was today's breakfast coincidentally, is Joanm's Waffles of Insane greatness. We don't have the patience to let it rest 30 minutes. I think the corn starch (I found a non-GMO brand, Rumford) adds a crunch that we like (we also spray our WI).

Waffles of Insane Greatness - posted by Joanm
    Recipe courtesy Aretha Frankensteins

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Butter and syrup, for serving

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.

Preheat a waffle iron. Do not use non-stick spray on the waffle iron; the oil in the batter will allow the waffle to release easily. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.

• grainlady_ks
    12 years ago

I have two waffle makers, one makes thin "five-of-hearts" waffles (my favorite), and a nice deep Belgian waffle maker (which hubby likes best). Both are over a couple decades old. I generally make a large batch of waffles and freeze them - which ever waffle iron I use.

Recommended cookbooks:

"Waffles From Morning to Midnight" by Dorie Greenspan
    "Totally Pancakes & Waffles Cookbook" by Helene Siegel

My go-to recipe is for pancakes, but also works well for waffles.

OAT GROAT PANCAKES (or waffles)
    (Source: The Splendid Grain - by Rebecca Wood)

2/3 c. oat groats
    1/3 c. buckwheat groats, toasted
    1-1/4 c. milk
    3 large eggs
    2 T. unsalted butter, melted
    1/4 t. sea salt
    2 T. Sucanat or light brown sugar
    1 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. grated nutmeg

Combine the oat (groats), buckwheat, and milk in a blender container. Cover and let soak refrigerated overnight or for 8 hours. Blend until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process to combine. Preheat a griddle. Drop the batter by the ladleful onto the griddle and bake for about 2-minutes on each side, or until golden. [For waffles use about 1/2 c. of batter (or the amount recommended by your waffler's manufacturer).

CRISPY CORNMEAL WAFFLES (Waffles From Morning to Midnight) 4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter 1 c. all\-purpose (I usually use freshly\-milled spelt or einkorn) 1 c. yellow cornmeal (also milled at home \- medium grind) 2 t. baking powder 1/2 t. baking soda 1/4 t. salt 2 c. buttermilk (I use homemade kefir) 1/4 c. pure maple syrup 2 large eggs (Makes about six 6\-1/2\-inch round waffles) Preheat your waffle iron. If you want to hold the finished waffles until serving time, preheat your oven to 200\-degrees F. Melt butter; reserve. In large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, thoroughly combine the buttermilk, syrup, and eggs. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk, stop when the ingredients are just combined. Stir in the melted butter. Lightly butter or spray the grids of your iron, if needed. Brush or spray the grids again only if subsequent waffles stick. Spoon our 1/2 c. of batter onto the hot iron. Use a metal spatula or wooden spoon to smooth the batter almost to the edge of the grids (within 1/2\-inch of edge). Close the lid and bake until browned and crisp. Serve the waffles immediately or keep them, in a single layer, on a rack in the preheated oven while you make the rest of the batch.

Waffle magic:

-Some batters are self-spreaders, but the thick batters may need to be spread, and a thin-bladed off-set spatula works well for that.

-If you overfill the grids - don't panic.... Let the batter sit WITH THE LID UP about 30-seconds, then slowly close the lid. If you use a measuring cup for the amount of batter best suited for your waffle maker, this will help prevent overfilling.

-Don't peek before at least 2-minutes of cooking time have elapsed. Some of the newer irons will cook waffles in 90-seconds, but most take almost 5-minutes to cook (by which time the steam may no longer be visible).

-Grainlady

• Related Discussions

Breaking in my new Waffle Maker

Q

Comments (48)
    I knew it...I just knew it....I was going to get hooked on waffles after reading and rereading about waffles. I have never been a waffle person (I do like pancakes tho)....My husband is the waffle guy...have just decided I am going to buy HIM a waffle iron for Fathers Day and I am going to master the waffle world. I am confused about the difference between the Belguim and regular waffle. Can someone explain to me? No body could read all the waffle threads and not get interested. I am in and now heading to the Good Housekeeping reviews. Shirl
    ...See More

I Don't Need Another Gadget...Ice Cream Cone Maker

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't think a regular waffle iron would work because the plates on it are the wrong shape - there is too much space between them so a waffle has to be thick to contact both sides.
    ...See More

We should not EVER discuss kitchen gadgets here ...

Q

Comments (33)
    bees needs, one thing that I have become completely weary of is deep storage. I know that you say that you have lots of storage. Storage areas were the very first to be excavated in my downsizing. My thinking is that, if it never sees the light of day, it needs to go. I haven't regretted clearing out the things in the back of the house. When we moved my mom out of her house I found a lot of big Tupperware that had sat in the back of a cabinet so long that it had turned yellow. I don't let things like that happen. Those "as seen on TV" items are what I call "weenie roasters" . They are basically useless and cheap stuff that was never useful or needed at all. There really were weenie roasters sold. Depending on your age, you may remember them. They were a little electric cylinder cooker that you put a weenie in and in about half an hour had a roasted weenie. That is right up there with the iced tea maker, which is just a bigger weenie roaster. So much of what is promised in those ads just ends up as nothing more than pure landfill. They are laughable, at best. I would like to have a mandolin, but keep seeing things more on par with what you have described, things that are not well made and have a lot of negatives. So, I just don't buy any one at all. That has become my default position, to just NOT buy anything.
    ...See More

Kitchen Small appliances/Gadgets

Q

Comments (22)
    I love my small IP and AF. use AF the most - almost daily. the IP not as often but then I don't cook much anymore. what i look for is if it'll make things easier for me or safer. i think i only used my big oven once last yr. I only use 1 burner on it a few times a month. I removed the other coils several yrs ago. a gadget i have and really like is a veggie peeler that does the normal peel on one side but flip it over and i get shavings on a carrot that i can then line up and with a few knife chops have little shaving bits to sprinkle on a salad, into potato / mac salad or in my dogs food. she loves carrots. that might be a curtis Stone product. I do have in my A cart a silicone tray to freeze food in 1/2 cp portions. it has 8 divsions and I think and will be good to freeze meal portions for me - soup, rice, refried beans, salsa, broth etc. It's available in larger portion sizes.
    ...See More
  • hawk307
    12 years ago

Booberry:
    Here is a Waffle Baker I bought but didn't like it as much as my Old One.
    My DD liked it.

LOU-S
    Pancakes and Waffles Recipe

2 1/2 cups milk
    2 eggs ( separated ) .
    1/3 cup of Veg. Oil
    2 tablespoon of Vanilla
    Pinch of salt
    1/2 cup Sugar
    1 cup of Wheat Flour
    4 teaspoons Baking Powder
    All Purpose flour ?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I beat the egg whites first , so I do not have to clean the beaters.
    Beat the egg whites with a teaspoon of sugar, until peaked.
    Put aside until the batter is mixed
    Batter for Pancakes:
    Put the first 6 ingredients ( except egg whites ) in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
    Put in the Wheat flour, Baking Powder. and some All Purpose flour.
    Beat until smooth. Add enough AP flour to thicken slightly,
    (were it leaves ripples while mixing ) not thin and loose.
    Add 1/2 the beaten egg whites, at a time , to the batter and fold in easy.
    For Waffles:
    Thicken more, to where you have to move it around with a spoon,
    when it is put on the Waffle Baker.
    Then do the egg white thing as in the pancake batter.
    When baked I cool them fast on a rack and put them in a plastic bag, separated
    and right in the freezer.
    If you overcook a little, dampen slightly with water,
    before you put them in the toaster oven.
    I have a very old round Waffle Baker with adjustable heat Range.
    I use mine on high range.
    It makes a Waffle about 1/2 inch + thickness. For me this is just right,
    for the amount of butter and syrup that you can put on top.

I found a Cuisinart mod.WMR-CA to match my old one.
    Now I can make Waffles in Stereo .

I do not use the Belgium Waffle Maker, any more, because it is too much Waffle for the amount of syrup and butter. But may be good for you.!

If I want a Belgium Waffle, I just make a double decker and
    put fruit or whatever filling in between.
    Then you have more cooked surface area , on the Waffles.
    Which is where the flavor is ( the cooked surface )

JUST BAKED !!!

BOO : You can use your imagination and prepare them with all kinds of toppings.
    Besides Butter and Syrup.
    Your husband will never let you be !!!

This was in our Local Paper.

• loves2cook4six
    12 years ago

These overnight yeasted waffles are the best we've ever had...

The batter must be made 12 to 24 hours in advance. We prefer the texture of the waffles made in a classic waffle iron, but a Belgian waffle iron will work, though it will make fewer waffles. The waffles are best served fresh from the iron but can be held in an oven until all of the batter is used. As you make the waffles, place them on a wire rack set above a baking sheet, cover them with a clean kitchen towel, and place the baking sheet in a 200-degree oven. When the final waffle is in the iron, remove the towel to allow the waffles to crisp for a few minutes. These waffles are quite rich; buttering them before eating is not compulsory and, to some, may even be superfluous.

3 1/2 cups whole milk, or low-fat milk, or skim milk
    16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
    4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
    2 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 teaspoon table salt
    3 teaspoons instant yeast
    4 large eggs
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Heat milk and butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool milk/butter mixture until warm to touch. Meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl to combine. Gradually whisk warm milk/butter mixture into flour mixture; continue to whisk until batter is smooth. In small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla until combined, then add egg mixture to batter and whisk until incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 12 and up to 24 hours.

2. Following manufacturer's instructions, heat waffle iron; remove waffle batter from refrigerator when waffle iron is hot (batter will be foamy and doubled in size). Whisk batter to recombine (batter will deflate). Bake waffles according to manufacturer's instructions (use about 1/2 cup for 7-inch round iron and about 1 cup for 9-inch square iron). Serve waffles immediately or hold in low temperature oven.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I'm going to be combing the thrift stores for a waffle maker! Lou those pancakes look absolutely delicious!

• cynic
    12 years ago

I just have a cheapie nonstick wafflemaker. I had an old one that was great but cleaning it was impossible so it was either get a nonstick or quit making them altogether. I wound up doing both unfortunately.

I prefer the conventional waffles. Nothing fancy, no special shapes, not Belgian waffles. Just plain old waffles are my favorite. Light on syrup, a fruit syrup preferably. These days I'm not too keen on sweet breakfasts, other than sweet rolls so it's been years since I've made waffles. Should make some again sometime though.

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Booberry:

Thanks, I like my old Waffle Baker, it is a Toastmaster.

Cynic:
    I don't know why you should be having be having a problem cleaning a Waffle Baker.
    Maybe you use the batter too thin.

There was a Post on Waffles a while back.
    Everyone was having a problem, with the batter spilling out over the sides.

They all thought it was the way to go ???

I do not have that problem. Probably because my batter is thicker.
    And I use Vegetable Oil.

The Waffle Baker has to be " Hot ".
    Why not give it another try ?

The recipe I put in gives the Waffles a Subtle Sweetness.
    Beating the Egg Whites first and folding them in, makes them crispy but tender.

That was a tip from another CF Member.
    Let us know how you make out.

LOU

• cspittell
    12 years ago

I have an old Black and Decker waffle maker that makes heart shaped waffles.

The recipe I use is one that came with my waffle maker. Easy and fast - great for weekday breakfast or a quick dinner. It makes a really light waffle with a crispy crust. The only downside is that they don't hold well and they don't reheat well either. Best eaten as soon as they are made.

2 eggs
    1 cup milk (skim works fine)
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt

Preheat waffle maker.

In medium bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add milk & oil, mix. Then add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. (I don't obsess over the lumps - a few are fine).

Pour 1/2 cup onto waffle baker and close lid.

My waffle baker has a tone that sounds when the waffle is done so I'm not sure about baking time.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

Just watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen where they found the Chef's Choice Waffle Iron (about $70.00) to be the the winner in their test. The one they like makes the heart shape waffles so it may be the same as grainlady has.

ML

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

That's it Lou, after seeing what you have done, I am not going to waffle around anymore. I am going with your recipe.

dcarch

• lindac
    12 years ago

Loves2cook...that recipe sounds lovely....I have never made yeast risen waffles....but do occasionally make pancakes that way.
    I really think it's butter, real butter, and all the eggs that make for a lovely pancake....and I can only guess that waffles will be good too.
    My grandmother made buckwheat pancakes....and no one seems to know how she made them. About all I remember was they had to be made the day before. Not sure if she added yeast or perhaps made them several days before and relied on wild yeast....or if she used baking powder. Nor do I know if her recipe was all buckwheat flour or only part buckwheat....but I would love to re create them.

We had a sort of a joke in my family..."Martinis and Waffles....and sausage or bacon"... the thought was that if you had a few martinis you couldn't cook much else....and if you had enough martinis, waffles for dinner was lovely!
    More than a few times friends would stop unexpectedly and we so enjoyed visiting we would say "stay for supper" when in truth we had nothing prepared....but waffles were always easy....and enjoyed.
    Linda C

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I still like breakfast for supper, I don't like to eat a big meal in the morning (or much of anything at all in the morning) so waffles or eggs and bacon and potatoes are plenty substantial enough for supper for me.

I have a big VillaWare that I bought on clearance at William Sonoma that makes cows/pigs/chickens/barns and I only made waffles when the grandkids came over, it's a huge, heavy and space consuming monster of a waffle baker. it does have a chirp to let me know when the iron is hot enough to add the batter and another chirp when the waffle is done.

Then Deb (Momto4kids) was cleaning house and offered me her Krups waffle maker because she has 4 kids and it wasn't big enough to make waffles for the family. It's the perfect size for Elery and I, works like a charm and has a tone so I can tell when the waffles are done.

Elery's favorite waffles are cornmeal waffles to which I've added a handful of cheddar cheese and some thinly sliced/slivered ham. Those get eaten in the place of toast. He doesn't care for anything sweet at breakfast, but he'll have those waffles with eggs and I can have them with maple syrup.

The kids' favorites are chocolate waffles:

Chocolate Waffles

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup white sugar
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    powder
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    4 tablespoons butter, melted
    Preheat waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa. Stir in milk, eggs and butter until mixture is smooth.

Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.

The kids like them with whipped cream and sliced strawberries, maybe a drizzle of Hershey's syrup. Ashley likes them with caramel syrup and pecans, kind of a "turtle waffle" flavor.

My favorite is gingerbread waffles, I use the batter to make pancakes or waffles, depending on my mood. I like real maple syrup on them, or fresh apples, sliced and sauteed in a little butter and brown sugar.

GINGERBREAD PANCAKES

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Pinch of ground cloves
    1 1/2 cups whole or lowfat milk
    1 large egg
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    2 tablespoons dark (not light or blackstrap) molasses
    Nonstick cooking spray

1. Stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves in a large mixing bowl.
      2. Measure the milk into a large glass measuring cup. Crack the egg into the cup and beat lightly with a fork to break up the egg. Stir in the cooled melted butter and molasses.
      3. Pour the liquid ingredients into the mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are moistened. Don�t worry if there are some small lumps.
      4. Heat the griddle and spray with cooking spray.
      5. Pour some of the batter on to the griddle (about � cup per pancake). Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown. Serve immediately with maple syrup or keep them warm in a preheated 200F degree oven on a platter loosely covered with aluminum foil. Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying the cooking surface with more cooking spray before beginning each new batch.

Serves 4.
    Annie

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

I have a vintage Sunbeam waffle iron; it's just like the one Mom had. Went thru a couple of other waffle makers while on the hunt for the Sunbeam.

We love the Waffles of Insane Greatness recipe. When I found the recipe a couple of years ago, the family almost did back flips over them; they're that good. And I don't spray the waffle maker, per the instructions in the recipe. They don't stick.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Earlier this year I bought a Cuisinart waffle iron that was on sale for $40. It beeps when it's ready which is a bonus.

It works pretty good....the waffle tends to stick to the lid, but a light brush with oil fixes that (even though it's non-stick)

I've made that yeast recipe once. It's good, but rich, I found.

I use the Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake mix from Costco, but I know others here don't like it. It's quick and easy, and we like the flavour.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

jasdip, Dad loved the stuff and always had me buy a bag when I went to Sam's. I tried to switch him to multi-grain, since he was diabetic. No go, although he would eat my homecanned apple sauce on them in lieu of syrup.

I still make mine from scratch, though, because I like "flavored" waffles instead of plain white ones.

Annie

• angelaid
    12 years ago

I have the heart waffle maker I got with Betty Crocker coupons a hundred years ago. Waffles of Insane Greatness is the "go to" recipe for waffles now.
    When Rob was young, I'd pour chocolate cake batter into the waffle maker, (when done) spread with strawberry jam and sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top for quick after school snacks.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda, LOL! "We had a sort of a joke in my family..."Martinis and Waffles....and sausage or bacon"... the thought was that if you had a few martinis you couldn't cook much else....and if you had enough martinis, waffles for dinner was lovely! " I love the sentiment! Thanks for sharing.

Annie, gingerbread is a great weakness of mine! Those waffles sound wonderful.

Angelaid, I love your idea too. This makes for a fast dessert. "When Rob was young, I'd pour chocolate cake batter into the waffle maker, (when done) spread with strawberry jam and sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top for quick after school snacks."

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

To Angelaid's idea-Rachael Ray's magazine had a recipe where you made a cake using boxed cake mix, add sprinkles to the batter, cook like pancakes, stack like pancakes, pour glaze over the top where it drips down the sides, then more sprinkles.