SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawizard

Noob questions regarding a new Washer/Dryer setup

dawizard
9 years ago

Hey everyone

Forgive me for how dumb these questions will sound. This is the very first time I am buying a Washer/Dryer and am pretty much overwhelmed by the choices and how the setup works in general.

1. In the house there is 1 power outlet and 1 Gas outlet (or basically a plugin point). I thought both Washer and Dryer will need their own power outlets? Do they share the power somehow if they are both electric?

2. I keep getting asked if I am getting a "Gas" based Dryer or "Electric" dryer. Depending on either, does it mean I have to get a "Gas" based washer or "Electric" washer too i.e do both have to be the same kind?

3. Since I am only seeing 1 socket for Electric and 1 for Gas, is it typical that people buy Electric washers and Gas dryers? Is it non-conventional to buy both Electric?

4. Is there anything I should understand in terms of pros/cons of Gas based dryers vs Electricity based dryers? I am looking to buy one of the newer Samsung washer/dryers which tend to have energy efficiency built in.

The reason I ask is because Electricity is a whole lot cheaper than gas in this area but I wanted to understand my options...

I am also told that the Electric dryers will take up more 'amps' in the house so to get an air conditioner installed (and based on other things in the house that suck up the amps), I should probably take a gas dryer. Does this sound reasonable? This is probably a whole different post regarding air conditioning for a different forum so I'll leave it at this.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (3)