SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Bread baking disaster!

teresa_nc7
13 years ago

Well, after bragging about how I can now make some of my breads for the market with my eyes closed, I was due the disaster I had today! The Bread gods were agin' me!

Several weeks ago I ordered some FREE sourdough starters from NYBakers.com. I activated the SoCal starter and parked it in the fridge. Friday I took it out and fed it, divided it in preparation to make some sourdough bread.

I made at least two mistakes with this bread: 1) I only added about 5 cups of flour instead of six, remembering that my recipe is a batter bread and 2) I put the dough into pans that were too small. Why? I don't know....seemed like a good idea at the time....

When I went home at lunch just now to bake the bread, I had dripping dough all inside the oven where the pans of dough were rising, dough on the floor of the oven, dough on my pizza stone on the lowest oven rack, blobs of dough everywhere! I scraped up as much of the raw dough as I could and turned on the oven. The dough continued to rise up out of the pans and drip onto the floor of the oven. Why you ask??? Because I used pans that were too d*%# small! What a mess! And ugh! the smell of burning bread!

The bread was difficult to remove from the pans, but it still tastes good - so it won't go to waste. And I really like this new sourdough starter!

........back to square one......... Teresa

Comments (12)