SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cms_az

Glass top Dining Table?

cms_az
11 years ago

I am thinking about getting a glass top dining table. I don't have a separate eating areas so this will be my one and only table. Everyone that has had a glass top table tells me not to get one as they are difficult to keep clean. I don't have kids but two cats. I was thinking that a glass top table would be better as it would not get scratched from everyday use (laptop, cats, etc). I also liked the idea of an open look of glass. i have a lot of wood and thought this would add some different interest. I would love any input on this.

Comments (39)

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I have one in my breakfast room and I can't wait to get rid of it.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

When I was growing up both our dining room and kitchen tables were glass. They do show fingerprints, but I don't recall them being anymore difficult to keep clean. Newsprint and window cleaner does a great job!

• Related Discussions

Advice Welcomed for Glass Top Dining Table

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm looking into a glass dining table myself. I've found the cheapest glass tops here. Combined with one or more stone table bases I think it'd be a good looking table. I also ran across "Starphire" glass, which is a low-lead glass made by PPG. Here's a thread about fish tank owners comparing standard glass to Starphire. Here's a photo comparing the two: These guys will custom make a Starphire glass table top for you, email/call for quote 866-372-7902. HTH, `S
    ...See More

Seeking: Cherry Pedestal with glass top for DR

Q

Comments (3)
    OK, the link won't work but try a web site called Furniture From Home. Item # 909. They have the picture of a round glass top but say you can get two pedestals and either an 84" or 96" rectangular top. They also have 96" square. Pedestals are cherry with nice lines and are $349 each. Glass for the square is also $349 but they don't list the price for the rectangular glass. Free white glove delivery over $1000 purchase. The table is shown with chenille and leather chairs.
    ...See More

Settling for something that's OK and will work vs. always looking

Q

Comments (21)
    maureeninmd I am pretty frugal and have this odd idea that everything I buy will be with me forever, so it better be perfect in every way - useful, beautiful, good quality, etc. I worked with a lot of design engineers. You learn to satisfice by learning to define requirements: what is the real problem you are trying to solve. Few things can be simultaneously useful, beautiful, durable, high-quality, affordable, and fit in the alloted space. You have to decide which of the qualities are most important at this moment, for this problem. The second part of satisficing is that when you have found the item you needed, you QUIT LOOKING! I found tile for a bathroom re-do that fit all my requirements: porcelain, in budget, blended with existing tile, and right size at the first of about 20 tile dealers. I bought it right then and tore up the list. Maybe out there was one that blended just a tiny bit better, or was a few cents cheaper, but it's not worth spending three days looking just in case. For my ski boots ... I went from one end of town to the other, and tried on every danged brand in my size in the entire resort area, because the ONLY thing that counted was comfort and I wasn't having much luck finding it.
    ...See More

let’s use our imagination for furniture layouts!!!

Q

Comments (1)
    Spray painted the buffet / sideboard & frame of dining table..
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

not only does glass scratch, but you cant alter the table size, vs one where you can add leaves depending on the need.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

hahaha sameboat. I had been considering a glass table for my smaller space too-- until I read your post!! Solid top for me!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

One word: PAWPRINTS!

Also, our one cat is very large, and I'd be concerned if he jumped up on a glass table top. I love the look of glass top coffee tables, but no way with our large kitty.

We do have furniture glass on our credenza and coffee table, but they are not solid glass. So, you might want to check into table pads or furniture glass. Both our glass tops cost about $75 each.

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Gsciencechick: The glass used for dining tables varies, so you might be thinking of the thinner breakfast-nook kind of table. But there are differences in quality. Even a really, really large cat wouldn't even budge the glass on my dining room table (3/4-inch, I believe). But if he underestimated his propulsion force and aim, he could hurt himself that way, if there was too much glass overhanging the table base (but that's also an issue with some other types of table top -- wood, stone..)

CMS: Yes, glass-top tables can scratch. I don't have an animal that can jump atop it, just my little terrier who wishes she could get up there! But scratching can come from anything, even a laptop that's pushed over instead of picked up and moved. And then there are people who are just a little too heavy-handed with other folks' belongings! (In that case, when those certain people come over repeatedly, I put down a cushy table cover, from Bed Bath & Beyond, and a tablecloth. Which then pretty much negates the beauty of the table.)

I have a contemporary rectangular (designed for 6 chairs around) dining table: glass-on-stainless steel parsons legs. It's very sturdy, it does have an open feel-- there is no wood, it's just glass that sets into the stainless frame all around it. I also occasionally put a tablecloth on it when the months get colder and I have to work on my laptop from home there, even tho I know that ruins the modern look of it.

I don't find it any more difficult to keep clean than any other surface, altho I guess I need both a rag and Windex, versus just a swiffer or microfiber cloth for my wood furniture.

Only advice for you: If you decide to get one, when you furniture shop, put your elbows down on the glass and see if it budges even a bit!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

In addition to scratches, paw prints, transparency, and inflexibility, glass tops are cold to the touch, which makes lingering over a meal less appealing.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I have a breakfast set with a glass table and it has held up well for 23 years. It's just the two of us and we use the table for every meal, unless we have more than 2 people visiting, but it's not my favorite material to have as a table.
    Here are the negatives: yes, it can scratch if you slide stuff across it. Although the scratches on mine are not easily seen they may be more obvious on a larger table. It doesn't scratch as easily as my wood DR table (my cat has left scratches from dancing on it!) but it is definitely colder than my wood table. If you live in a warmer climate this probably isn't a factor.
    The worst damage on the table are 2 tiny chips, apparently from something being dropped on it.
    Glass is also noisy. The clang I hear when setting glasses, cups, & tableware on it annoys me but to avoid that I always keep placemats on it.

Also, when cleaning it you not only have to clean the top but glass requires you clean the underside also. Just as your interior windows build up a film, so will a table, along with marks from hands & knees.

Having said all that, I do like the open look of the table and it works well as a breakfast table.

Which material you decide on comes down to what you really want and what works best for you.

I'm not sure of gscience's concern for her large cat. The glass on a table is (should be) very strong and tempered.

• jlnick
    11 years ago

We had a glass table in a rental we stayed in awhile back. It was just me and my husband, no pets or kids back then. I vowed then to never buy a glass table because I had to Windex it constantly to keep it looking clean. It constantly had smudges and fingerprints all over it. I like the look of glass tables, but I don't think I'd buy a main dining table in glass because of that reason.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I am going to differ with most of you....I had a glass table that we ate on every day and I loved it. We sold it when we put the breakfast bar in the kitchen. Some day I am going to have another one...I love the shininess and sparkle in the sunlight...you can put a cloth on it or use place mats if you want. Mine did not scratch that easily...but a placemat under your laptop would be just the thing. I have glass end tables in the living room and love them also....No, I didn't find a glass table hard to clean.

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

CMS: I'm in Grandma's court.

We have 2 cats who are trained not to go on tables and counters. Every so often, they forget. You know how that goes. We decided on glass top dining tables in the DR and Kitchen. We had our dining room table custom made by an Amish furntiure maker. We hemmed and hawed about about wood vs glass. Glass won. There was no way we were going to get crazy with our cats scratching a wood top and I did not want to protect them 24/7.

In the dining room we do use placemats, runners, and sometimes table cloth when entertaining. No scratches yet and it's 3 years old. In the kitchen, we only use placemates. I also use the kitchen table for my lap top. I just windex it after I'm done.

I don't find them more dusty than my wood tables.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I'm with grandma and jerseygirl. You may not like them because they don't take leaves or because they're cold up north in the winter, but it's just as easy to clean glass as wood--easier if there's a spill.

• alyx_c
    11 years ago

I can understand you wanting soemthing besides wood. How about frosted glass. Then no one can see anything under the table. :-)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

As others have said, you can scratch a glass top, but I don't have pets, so I don't know if claws would scratch one. They do require some maintenance to keep them smudge-free, but I don't feel as though I need to protect a glass top as carefully as I do a wooden top. Also, you don't have to worry about setting hot things on a glass top which is nice. Would a stone top work with your decor? Honed stone wouldn't show smudges, could be more scratch-resistant depending on the type of stone, and would be sturdy like glass.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 21:10

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

We have a glass coffe table that we often eat on. I love it because cleaning is as simple as a quick wipe with soapy water for goobers if necessary and otherwise just a little windex. Spills are no big deal.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>Also, you don't have to worry about setting hot things on a glass top which is nice.

I would worry about thermal shock with glass or stone. Safer not to do this--use a trivet or pad. (And if you think stone can't crack from setting hot stuff on it, take a look at KevinMP's recent thread in Kitchens.)

• donnawb
    11 years ago

I have had a glass top table since the early 1980's. I love them. First I had a 60" round and at the time I had 2 cats. They weren't suppose to go on the table but when I wasn't home all bets were off.

I know have a large 42"x74" table that I have had since 1990. It does have a few scratches that really aren't noticeable unless you are the one cleaning it. It has survived 2 different cats and 4 kids.

I don't find them hard to clean at all. I do use placemats tho.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

My daughter has a metal and glass dining table that was included with the purchase of her home. I think it is at least 10 years old. I'm not sure how much it was used but it is in great condition. Her table actually does have a leaf that can be added to expand the length of the table. The only problem is having a safe storage spot for that leaf if you do not keep the table extended. She thinks that the glass table helps make her small dining room look bigger.

• tulnerbaker
    11 years ago

I have a coffee table at our back yard. It has a unique design of single legs to stand made of rose wood. I am thinking of having glass top to it. I would like have some tips to maintain glass tables without any scratches. Which material and color of glass will look good for the rose wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decor works, Dubai approvals

This post was edited by tulnerbaker on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 4:04

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I've always had glass top tables, easy to wipe clean . Rarely do I have to clean the underside. Scratches are not very visible overall.

• cherigw
    11 years ago

have had mine in the kitchen dining area since mid-90's. . .love it. Yes, some scratches, but I just keep repeating "patina, patina, patina" right along with my silver flatware and stainless cooktop/sink. A damp microfiber with one hand and a dry on in the other. . .quickest clean-up ever!!

• coolbeansw
    11 years ago

We have a very modern Italian dining table with a glass top, and love it. Two recommendations: Clean with microfiber cloths (first one wet, then follow up with dry) instead of chemical cleaner like Windex. Second, never put dishes directly on glass top, as it may get scratched. For most dining, we use place mats. For formal dining, a tablecloth.

• shyshykodee
    11 years ago

We have a glass top dining room table. Love it. It brings light into the dining room from the window. It's easy to keep clean and holds up much better than wood.

We use placemats and hot pads. Never a problem. I don't want wood, it would be too dark and be far more difficult to care for.

• camlan
    11 years ago

I had to deal with a glass kitchen table for a year.

The other posters are correct--it wasn't hard to clean. Windex and paper towels; a wet microfiber cloth and a dry one.

But it got dirty the second you cleaned it. Fingerprints, rings from glasses, dust, cat paw prints, you name it. In order to keep it looking clean, you had to clean it several times a day. And it was just me and two cats in the house. I was house-sitting and although the rest of the house was lovely, I hated that kitchen table by the time I moved out. I ended up buying a tablecloth for it just to preserve my sanity.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

We have had a glass-topped butcher block kitchen table for the past 20 years.
    We love it - it shows off the wood underneath, less laundry without table cloths/placemats, easy to clean, no need for trivets.

• Sivous
    11 years ago

Never again! It is too hard to keep clean and does scratch. I had one back in the 80's , paid over $1200 dollars for it, so, it was not a cheap one. Ex. eating cereal on it, splatters of milk can be seen clear across the table!! LOL

• madeyna
    11 years ago

I just covered my painted wood oak table with a round glass top . I love it . Its easier to care for than the wood and reflects light back into the room. I had one prior for 15 years and loved it as well. One thing to consider is the stand its on .My current one is 1/2 thick and sits on the wood table. The first one I had sat in a oak base. It was tinted dark and was more difficult to clean because a spill could get between the frame and the glass.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"Ex. eating cereal on it, splatters of milk can be seen clear across the table!! LOL"

??

If one is splattering milk clear across the table, the surface will still be as messy, whether glass, wood or other.
    I don't see how that makes glass harder to clean.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I had glass put on my Canadel table in my breakfast room to protect the table after I found it easily scratching.

I really disliked it. My kids often sat there and I just found it cold and uncomfortable. I decided to have it removed and live with the patina.

• Sivous
    11 years ago

LuAnn I wasn't "really" saying it was "harder" to keep clean, it just shows "everything". I see where you posted you have had one for 20 years. So, I "would" expect you to disagree with my comment. To each his own.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Okay, but... "It is too hard to keep clean and does scratch." is what you said... no mention about showing everything. I only took you at your word.

But, you are right... to each his own! :)

• shyshykodee
    11 years ago

Again, as with any table that we have, use placemats.
    They stop any scratches that you think might happen and they prevent food from getting the table top dirty.

I really like our glass top dining table.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I think if you want clean, glass is the way to go. The pawprints, fingerprints, splatters, who knows what are still there on the wood. Unless you have a poly surface, you can't wash them off. Same with tile grout. People get colors to hide the dirt. I would rather know the dirt is there to clean it off.

Seeing everyone's legs under the table is funny! I guess I have never eaten a meal at a glass table to remember that. Tablecloths are a good solution for meal time to get around that one.

I prefer wood but don't feel it is a clean surface as others do. That bothers me but I doubt I will ever have a glass table because they feel modern to me. You can repair damaged wood on a good table but the glass gets scratched forever. I don't think it is cheap to replace!

• joseph004
    11 years ago

Glass top dining tables offer many features that are incomparable to other dining furniture. Their beauty is one of the reasons they captivate the attention of consumers every day. They reflect light which illuminates any room and makes even small areas feel larger.A good dining table is always admired. Thus it is important to choose something which is elegant, stylish and at the same time fits your budget.

• daveswan
    11 years ago

I think that's a great idea. I think a clear glass dining table would suit you more as black glass are hard to keep clean. Did you know you can get a clear glass surface and wooden legs which will fit in with your current interior take a look at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Dining Tables

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I do not like glass tables at all. I had a glass dining table, patio table and coffee table. Hate them all, impossible to keep clean. It shows dust when the light hits it. Eating on one is noisy, even with place mats. Everything you put on the table makes noise. You have to clean underneath and you can't add a leaf.

There are so many reasons to dislike glass tables, I hope you can try it out before making the decision.

Jane

• mishva
    5 years ago

We have two glass top dining tables; one in the kitchen and one in the dining room. We also have three cats, one of which is a Polydactyl cat (7 toes on each front paw). We are usually pretty good about trimming their claws every 4-6 weeks. Even our somewhat plump cat never causes the table to tip. Our glass tops HAVE a few minor scratches, but they are not noticeable. I love glass, you can remove crayon, play-dough, permanet markers and glue without marring the surface. We chose to buy tempered glass as we have 3 granddaughters. Good luck! Sorry for the mess on the table in the picture. I was wrapping Christmas presents! Good luck!

• Taylor Burkhardt
    2 years ago

Okay so glass is great because its a flat surface to work on but you will get scratches in the glass over time however.. a new piece of glass is still less than a new table. :)