SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buildinginpa

My new Bosch Nexxt 500 set

buildinginpa
17 years ago

We just moved into our new house yesterday, and finally got to use our new Bosch 500 set:

First impression is very good. Was happy to confirm that there's a window on the dryer. Our laundry room is on the second floor, on a tiled floor with plywood reinforcement, and the vibration has not been too bad. I just washed my daughter's queen sized, and very thick, comforter (did not fit easily) and it seemed to control the vibration more than my old top loader would have. My husband thought the first few loads were loud downstairs, but we realized the Lowes guys didn't level it -- probably because it's in a laundry pan and hard to access -- and since his quick attempt to level it it seems just fine to me.

So far (4 loads into it) so good!

Comments (44)

• footballmom
    17 years ago

Congratulations on moving in! It must be wonderful! I hope you are as pleased with everything in your new home and that you have enormous joy and great memories there!

• stever500
    17 years ago

Thx for posting! Where did you get that laundry pan and what's it for? We've never used one for our TL that we've had for 20 yrs. Is it if the machine leaks, it won't damage your floor with water? We're waiting for the platinum series to come out later this year.

Steve R

• Related Discussions

Bosch Nexxt 500 washer- Gild off Lily in 87 days?

Q

Comments (8)
    Valves are a 'consumable' in any plumbed-in device. Feed valve life can be extended if you shut the water tap off between uses (as Bosch says to do in the manual!), though unless your water pressure is unusually high that should not normally be necessary. (If your water pressure *is* high, you can buy a flow limiter to put on the cold water tap for around $30.) Valve failure in 3 months is ridiculous. I doubt water will pool if you have it shut off at the feed, but that won't really tell you if the valves are the only problem. If the repair does not solve your problem, keep after Bosch, and if customer service gives you the run around ask how you can elevate the service request ("elevate" is often a trigger word in the service world, means you move up to a customer service person with actual authority). I think the reason all the appliance companies make service calls so difficult is that 95% of all problems are user error (not in your case!), and if a repairman was dispatched for every one then machines would cost twice as much to cover the cost of the unnecessary service visits. BTW, FIATs are actually very well-constructed cars, even the model (128 ) which gave them such a bad reputation in the US; it was service that killed them here. Appliance companies can learn a lesson from this! - DR
    ...See More

Buying my Bosch Nexxt 500, usage tips from current owners?

Q

Comments (4)
    1. No lint fitter that needs regular cleaning. 2. Just wash fuzzy sweaters on the wool or delicate cyle They'll be fine. 3. For large items like comforters or pillows, they must be combined with smaller items so the machine can find a good balance. Otherwise it won't spin. 4. My towels are perfectly soft. Stiff towels aren't clean , too much or too little detergent. 5. Yes, but use only a small amount, 6. I don't worry about lint, it hasn't been a problem, 7. The only things I put in bags are bras, just to protect them. I did notice, when my sister was here, that baby socks can get pushed into the gap in the gasket, where they don't get clean, so maybe they should be in a bay. One bag comes with the machine.
    ...See More

Kenmore He2t or Bosch Nexxt 500?

Q

Comments (2)
    Both the Whirlpool built and the Bosch machines are excellent choices. Since you are wanting to get an extended service warranty I would use this as the deal breaker. Find out who does the Bosch service in your area and talk to them about things like how long does it take to come to your house after placing the phone call. Since Sears does their own service you know they, or A&E, will be the ones coming out. However the Sears techs are usually under the gun to get in and get out so they tend to shotgun calls which means going out and ordering a lot of parts for your machine rather than properly diganosing and just getting what your machine needs. But... in real life less than 10% of appliances ever require service during their 1st 10 years so you should also consider this while making up your mind.
    ...See More

Odd situation w/ Bosch Nexxt 500's onboard heater

Q

Comments (6)
    I think Bosch is one of the few brands that will fill with cool water and keep heating the the selected temperature (up to 170°F on the more recent machines) even if it takes a long time to reach that temperature (which it will, since it's running on a wimpy 120V/15A electric line, not the 240V circuits that most Bosch compact-size washers use). You may need to select certain wash cycles or options with names like "power wash" for this to work - read the manual and guide sheets (which i can't find online). Note that even if you have to select a wash cycle that normally fills with warm or hot water for the high-temp/sanitary wash temperatures to be used, your setup means the fill will be with cool water. Perhaps someone more familiar with these machines will chime in.
    ...See More
  • bsh_chris
    17 years ago

Wow! The pair looks great. I work for Bosch laundry, so if you have any questions or would like to share your experience, please let me know.

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

Can you teach me how to post images like this? Thanks for the help!

• buildinginpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chris, ok as long as you asked, I do have a couple questions. The dryer gets the clothes really, really hot on most settings - even after using perm press regular, the clothes are hot to the touch.. very hot. Is there a setting perhaps, to change this?

Also, I can't seem to pause the dryer. When I press the start/pause button on the washer, it pauses. On the dryer, though, it always resets itself. I can't find anything in the manual. DH says operator error, but I often open the dryer to get something out or check the clothes, and I don't want to have to start running for the full cycle again.

And now - instructions to post pictures within a post:

but without any spaces between the

• joe_in_philly
    17 years ago

Can you just open the dryer door to pause the cycle?

Although the pause button works on my dryer (Kenmore HE3 model), I always just open the door to check the load, and press start again to resume the cycle. My dryer door does not lock, only the washer.

Joe

• buildinginpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joe, the door doesn't lock but as soon as I open it the time resets to the full cycle time. So if there are 10 mins remaining of 30, as soon as I open the door the time resets to 30. Pressing the start/pause button does the same thing.

• dross
    17 years ago

I need find the Bosch chart that DR talks about.

That chart is for the 3200, I don't know to what extent it applies to the 500.

You shouldn't have 2 hour loads unless you are using the "heavy duty" button on hot washes. Normal loads should be on the order of an hour. - DR

• readyalready
    17 years ago

I'd also like to know the temperature of the quickwash.

DH did a load of whites on temp boost without bleach and said he was amazed at how white they came out.

• Cadyren
    17 years ago

The quickwash on the 3200 is 95 (warm), probably is the same on the 500. I got a magnetized card with wash temps etc. with my packet of materials.

• frankie57
    17 years ago

Yes, there is a magnetized card that comes with the 500, I have one. It has all the temperatures for the cylces listed on it, quick wash is 95.

I thought it was me doing something wrong with the dryer because when I opened the door either by pushing start/pause button or not, it reset itself. I've read that everybody with the new 500 dryer is saying that, so it must be the dryer and not me. I'm not to sure I like that, but I do notice that after it resets back to the beginning it then resets again probably after sensing the moisture. I also am trying to figure out what cycle has the cool down on it. My Kenmoore that had before this had a cool down of cooler air at the end of the cylce, I liked that because it prevented the clothes left laying in there while getting the load out not to be wrinkled. With the 500 I feel like I'm in a race to grab things out of there before they lay there and wrinkle. I usually either turn it to air/fluff while I open and close to get the clothes out or hang everything over the door until I can get it all out. I LOVE the washer, but the dryer is kind of disappointing, I'm not nearly as happy with it. It does a good job but the controls/cycles are weird and I think that it should have come with the drying rack there holes are there for it and for the price it should have included it.

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

I agree that there should not be 2 hour loads in the washer. It could be a sudsing issue, yes. In that case try using less detergent. You'll be amazed the results you can get with very little detergent. If it is the suds you might want to try an empty load to rinse some of them away. You could also have an unbalance issue. Large loads with bulky items sometmes take longer because the machine is trying to balance the load before heading into a final spin. ust check it once in a while and adjust manually if you have to.

When you stop the dryer during drying a cycle and start it again it is true that it may reflect the whole cycle time, but also as mentioned it should sense the moisture in the clothes and adjust the cycle accordingly.

The is a 1-hour wrinkle block (intermittant tumbling) in the 500 Series dryer that should prevent clothes from wrinkling similar to other dryers, so it should not be a race to get them before they wrinkle.

There is a drying rack available, sorry that yo did not get one with the machine but you can order one and get it.

You all seem to agree that the dryer is strange to use and the cycles are not normal. What type of cycles would you like to see? What can be changed to make it more intuitive?

• sbaker90
    17 years ago

Are the cycles and cycle times of the new Bosch series different than the old 6400 and 3200 machines? After reading about the previous washers, the Bosch owners did not seem to have many complaints about wash times.

I think new FL owners are sometimes surprised by the longer wash times.

As for the dryer, I had a Kenmore HE4 gas dryer at the old house and the timer did not reset. It would stay at 14 minutes forever so the true time left was misleading. My understanding is that the Bosch dryer resets to the full time then adjusts within a short time to a lesser time on the display.

• mrb627
    17 years ago

Perhaps the dryer thinks you are stopping it to add more clothing or a forgotten item and needs to completely resense the load?

MRB

• joe_in_philly
    17 years ago

buildinginpa,

It is interesting that the time resets, but maybe that is the way it was designed to work. Does it actually continue to run after the load is dry, or after a while does the time adjust back down?

Perhaps it resets the time in the event you put more wet items into the drum, and reassesses the moisture level. If that is the case, I would expect it to adjust the time down as the cycle progresses. My Kenmore dryer adjusts the time after 5 minutes, and then again when the dryness level switches from 'wet' to 'damp.'

Joe

• buildinginpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, have done dozens of loads of wash now (after coming out of 11 months in storage..) and even so I guess I have to pay more attention to answer some of these questions.

Regarding the dryer. Joe, the button actually says "Start Pause" so it would seem that it was designed to pause. I don't really know yet if it resets based on the moisture -- one time it seemed to, and one time not. Even if it does that, odd as this may sound, it bothers me that I don't have any control once I open the dryer. I frequently take clothes out to hang before they are dry, and I don't know that I will ever get used to seeing the time reset to :30 or 1:00 or whatever. Oh, and I doubt it resets itself when you open during the timed dry cycle -- I'm assuming that cycle is not testing for moisture levels.

And I still need to run another regular (not perm press) cycle to check this -- but the couple times I opened the dryer while it was still going, or soon after it ended, the clothes were VERY hot to the touch (couldn't even hold them), and I noticed a burning smell. I don't think a dryer should leave clothes that hot, should it?

Regarding the washer - last night I had a wash going for at least an hour when I went to check, and the display read 1:40 remaining. That was obviously wrong, so I paused it (yes, I am happy to report the washer can be paused!) and when I restarted, it said there was 0:20 remaining. Hadn't seen that before -- but I wonder if maybe there's some kind of timing issue that is causing readyalready's 2-hour loads -- will check that more carefully too.

All this said, I like the design very much, and almost actually enjoy laundry with these machines. I hope I can work these issues out.

Ok, off to run more washer/dryer tests!

• readyalready
    17 years ago

Thanks for letting me know about the magnetic cards, I hadn't looked at them that closely.

I was expecting longer cycle times, but not 3x. We'll see how things go this weekend.

I put on a brand new pair of shorts today and noticed a hole in the front that wasn't there when I bought them. I'm going to go feel up my washer/dryer for sharp edges, putting holes in clothes will be a deal breaker for me.

• joe_in_philly
    17 years ago

buildingin pa,

That does seem very odd. I would expect hitting the start/pause button to simply pause the cycle without changing the time. I do that same thing, opening the dryer towards the end to take out items.

I would not expect items to be too hot to the touch at any point in the cycle, though as the load dries, the temperature of the items do go up. Out of curiosity, I measured the temperature of the exhaust of my dryer last night. As the gas cycled on and off, each time the exhaust temp would raise a bit higher, with the top temp being 125F at the end of the cycle when the clothing was dry. I have a long exhaust vent run, and I was taking the temp at the outside vent, so I would imagine the temp at the back of the dryer was hotter. I had the temp set to high.

readyalready,

Sorry to hear about the hole in your clothing, but thanks for the laugh! "I'm going to go feel up my washer/dryer...."

Joe

• sbaker90
    17 years ago

Are the cycles and cycle times of the new Bosch series different than the old 6400 and 3200 machines? After reading about the previous washers, the Bosch owners did not seem to have many complaints about wash times.

• whirlpool_trainee
    17 years ago

FWIW  Miele washers will automatically default to the cycle time for a full load if you open the door during the wash cycle. ItÂs to do with the load sensing system  for some reason it cannot sense if laundry has been added or removed while the door was opened. So, if you only wash a small load and the machine subtracted time off the cycle it will add that time after the cycle resumes.

DonÂt know whatÂs the drying temp on those super-sized Bosch dryers  but the regular drying temp in Euro dryers is 158°F. Is there proper air exhaust and intake on your dryer?

Alex

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

There is no change to the cycle times.

I can't imagine that the tub could have a made a hole in the shorts! All of our tubs are high quality stainless steel with double punched holes to ensure that we DON'T snag clothing.

As for these timing issues. Both machines are constantly sensing the load and adjusting the cycle times. The displays may reset once paused/started, but it should reduce it once it has a chance to sense the load. No matter what the cycle times should still be fairly close to the stated time in all the materials.

• jon112
    17 years ago

In the Oasis, if you unlock the lid in the middle of the load-sensing phase, when the Add-a-Garment light is on, it will reset to the beginning of the cycle, timer and all.

• readyalready
    17 years ago

I did not do enough research before plunking down my card to buy and am posting my experience so others have info on these new models. I certainly don't mean to bash the Bosch, I could end up loving it (which would be nice since we'll be spending so much time together.)

I have 3 kids with allergies and was excited about the sanitizing cycle for our sheets and towels. That cycle length is two hours four minutes only if it doesn't reset. Maybe I can do all of our sheets in two loads which is 4+ hours, bet my old dust mite breeding machine was about 30 min a cycle. If I compromise and do it as cotton on temp boost the cycle is and hour and 30 minutes with no resets. We should wash the majority of our clothes in the cotton cycles, cycle lengths 1 hour which is close to the drying time, not a big deal. Perm press cycle looks like 40 min, I think hand wash, delicates etc were 25-40 min.

My impression is that when the machine reset during wash it added 20-30 minutes to the cycle. I'll see if I can catch it if/when it does it again. Like I posted earlier, the first time it did it I figured it was residual soap from the old ineffective washer and we shouldn't have added any. When I did the new towels, with minimal HE soap and it still reset, it made me wonder how particular this machine is. Maybe there is a big learning curve as to how much soap for each kind of load you can add before it adjusts itself and I'll get there.

The hole in the shorts could be user error/learning curve too. I saw a post about buttoning and zipping all pants. I have never ever done that in a TL for our laundry and haven't had any problems but maybe with the zillion rpms I need to start. Could be a whirling zipper poked the hole and some zipping will keep it from happening again. My intimate encounter with the washer revealed no sharps. I will hope the high-maintenance zipping works because if my shorts have holes it doesn't really matter how clean they are.

It could be that I should have gone for the 700 with the added choices for short wash, I'd love a hot one. Does anyone know the price differential from the 500 to 700?

happy washing
    r

• dross
    17 years ago

readyalready, if the extra time is only during the specialty cycles (XXsanitary or temp boost) then it is not surprising that a large amount of extra time is added. Comparing this your old top loader makes no sense, since if it were even possible to heat a TL's water to 170F it would take several hours.

On the other hand, if you are consistently getting unexpected extra time even in normal loads, then something could be wrong with the machine.

high-maintenance zipping

We've always done this with TLs as well; you can get snags in any kind of machine, though of course clothing in a FL is in much closer contact than in a TL. - DR

added choices for short wash

Note that having a short cycle does not mean that clothing actually gets clean in such a cycle. We only use the quick wash if we are in a desperate hurry.

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

FWIW, here is a note I received from one of our engineers regarding longer cycle times:

Another possible reason for the endless cycle time is oversuds. When the machine detects the oversuds, it will trigger two additional suds rinses. In the worst scenario, the program can be extended to more than 2 hours. If this is the case, you can tell the customer to use HE detergent and use less amount.

Oh and there was an earlier question regarding the temperature of the Quck wash. It is a clod cycle and reaches 60 F.

Chris

• benbow
    17 years ago

We have the Bosch 3300 electric dryer and it has a short exhaust vent path through the exterior wall. On regular dry and even extra dry settings the clothing is only warm when we pull items out. This was pleasant suprise as we were used to the amost-to-hot-to handle clothing from our old Maytag dryer.

As another poster has suggested, I would check your dryer exhaust air pathway as airway restrictions may hinder proper moist air exhaust. I am guessing that Bosch dryers are programmed to increase the drying temperature if the moisture level does not decrease as expected using lower air temperatures.

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

It is true that your Bosch dryer is sensing the moisture level and it does reduce the heat as the moisture level goes down. It does this to not damage fibers and make clothes alst longer. I would also second the suggestion to check the entire line. Also, if you have number of right angle turns in the ducting this can hurt the dryer performance (on any dryer).

• frankie57
    17 years ago

Hey bsh chris.....I've got a couple question for you. First, when the reduced spin option is selected on the reg/cotton cycle on the 500, what speed is it? Normally it is 1100.
    Second, what exactly is the vibration kit from Bosch? Is it just different legs with rubber feet? Reason I ask is, a couple days after my 500 was delivered Lowes connected me up with a local repair shop because I was experiencing vibrations on the max spin speed. The guy came didn't really do anything but watch the washer spin, then called the Bosch technical number. The Bosch technician told the repair guy that the vibration kit would solve the problem. So, the repair guy leaves, orders the part, then calls me a week or so later saying that only 1 piece came in, that he didn't realize he should have ordered 4 of the part number that the Bosch tech told him. Ok, I ask what exactly is this vibration kit anyway? I really wanted to ask him why the heck he didn't know what he was ordering in the first place if he was supposed to be a certified bosch repair guy, but I didn't. Anyway, he says well I guess the kit is just different legs with rubber feet on them. I'm wondering how those legs are going to make a difference or help the vibration? The washer is NOT moving/walking which I could see that the rubber feet would help solve that. But I don't see how those different feet are going to solve the vibration problems. So I guess I have a third question for you....will these different feet help solve the vibration issue?

Thanks Chris!

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

I have a call in to the engineers on the spin question.

The vibration kit is new feet, four flat washers, and an instruction set. Believe it or not, a significant amount of vibration can be reduced with certain materials and shape of the feet. I'm not so sure how much it will help your specific situation. One question would be how much have you (or the installer for that matter) done to properly level the machine? If the shipping bolts are out, the feet have been properly leveled, and of course locked in place with the locking bolts, I think your vibration should not be an issue. The "vibration kit" was created to fix the machines where even multiple attempts to level were not solving the issue, so it very well could help.

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

The reducued spin speed is 950 rpm

• flybysop
    17 years ago

I bought a Bosch 500 set from Lowes here in MD a few weeks ago, delivered last week. I got a pretty good deal - there was some kind of unadvertised(?) 10% off special going on. When the salesperson put the SKU numbers into the computer, he was really surprised, since the units had just come in - they had only sold out the remaining older Bosch set the previous weekend. Tack on an additional 10% lowesmoving.com coupon for a total $19% savings off the $998+$798 list, and I was feeling pretty smug haha (though you ebayers buying off AirElkin are probably smiling bigger). Anyways, when the movers uncrated the units and brought them upstairs, it wasn't long before I noticed this powerful smell coming from the washer. Sort of industrial-ly, maybe rubber gasket-related, but it seems to be throughout the interior of the washer (Yes, the head was all the way in. where's the camera). Whatever the smell is, it is STRONG. I've done 5 loads plus the initial run, and was hoping it would fade - i.e., wash away. No luck. Now I'm wondering if I'm smelling it in my clothes. It's throughout the house. And I've had the nearest window open and the window fan on high the last few days after I get home from work trying to dissipate it (washer door has remained mostly open when not running). But the fumes/smell hasn't gone away - when the fan is off, it keeps coming back! Is this some kind of cleaner fluid smell from when the washer is tested in factory? Or Electric motor oil smell? Rubber gasket outgassing? bsh_Chris, I'm hoping you can answer this one. Anyone else experience something similar? Waiting with bated breath...

• flybysop
    17 years ago

just a quick explanation - washer door has been left open in hopes that "airing it out" would help...

• dross
    17 years ago

How far down into the drain pipe is the drain hose, and do you have it draped over the plastic U attachment as per instructions? It sounds to me like you might be syphoning wastewater or gas from your drain spout. (The 'new machine' smell should not be so strong, and should disappear after a load or two, especially if you do hot loads with a true non-'eco' detergent.) - DR

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

I would agree with dross, but I will also check with our after sales service folks. It should not smell after that long.

• kelleywolatz
    17 years ago

BschCrhis Question for you--

I have a 3.5 year old Bosch 3510 Axxis Dryer and need to ask a question if possible. I posted this on the Bosch Axxiss forum but have had no response. Can I ask you here on this forum since you work for Bosch?

• mrsee
    17 years ago

I am considering the Bosch Nexxt 500 set I like the glass door on the dryer like on the washer. Would those who own these machines recommend me getting this set? I want to believe these machines are made of great quailty, but I also have read some of the concernes and wondering if I whould make the leap to Lowes.
    please help.

Thank You

MR.SEE

• Cadyren
    17 years ago

I have the Bosch 3200 (previous to 500) and really like everything about it so far. I did not purchase a dryer. I have only had it 6 weeks and probably done 80 loads of all kinds, including delicate and handwash and it has performed well. Needless to say I can not attest to longevity. Good luck.

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

Hey Mr. See, Do you have any specific questions on the machines? One comment about the quality of our products (as I do work for the manufacturer): They are German engineered and assembled here in the U.S. in New Bern, N.C. I'd love to tell you more or answer any questions as you shop around. Let me know if I can help.

kelleywolatz - I answered you post in the other forum. I'm stil working on your issue.

• sbaker90
    17 years ago

Does anybody have the 700 and can post pictures of the control panel? Thanks

• guvnah
    17 years ago

Brand new to Bosch - just got ours Friday. I've done one load & I'm shocked at the low water level. There was no "extra" water in the tub - no floating bubbles. The clothes were wet looking & flopped around in forward & reverse, but just that . No sloshing about in a pool of water - no matter how shallow. When it went through the spin cycle, I saw some suds on the window, but that's it. Can this be right? I know they use lots less water, but I don't see how this can clean clothes.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Hi Guvnah,

You will be pleased with how clean your clothes get in the new Bosch. Especially whites. We use the cotton temp-boost setting for all our whites except when we use the XXsanitary cycle for bedsheets and pillow cases.

The only thing is the new machines rinse out the detergent so well that we don't get that detergent aroma that we always associated with freshly cleaned clothes. Now they just smell more 'pure' (if that makes sense).

The clothes also come out softer and I think that's because all the detergent is getting rinsed out.

-Bill

• guvnah
    17 years ago

Thanks Bill. So, not seeing any extra water is normal?? I am just amazed if clothes can wash by being wet & slamming around the drum with no extra water swishing around!! It is the strangest thing I've ever seen!

• just_chris
    17 years ago

BTW - the delicate/Silk cycle seems to add more wather than the reg cycles. Try some sweaters, get a chair and watch the show!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County