SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlr98004

sealing ductwork in 1970s Seattle home

dlr98004
11 years ago

Thanks in advance for all the information in these forums. So helpful! We have an unheated, vented crawl space in our home. About 32 x 24 built in 1976. crawlspace ceiling joists are 4x6 beams, 4 feet on center. crawlspace ceiling is 2x6 tongue-in-groove boards. About 5 feet of headspace to work in. No insulation at all. Ductwork runs through the crawlspace. We plan to seal the ductwork with mastic and then insulate the ducts. We plan to stay in the house for at least 10 more years.

questions:
how should I clean the ductwork prior to installing the mastic?
what brand of mastic can I purchase? hardcast iron grip was mentioned in one post - will a HVAC supplier sell to me? I can probably order online but will take a couple weeks. What about big box mastics?

what type of insulation do you recommend to wrap the duct work? in most places, there is room for a couple inches of batting.

Once the ducts are all sealed and insulated, we will insulate the crawlspace ceiling. Leaning towards 2" of closed foam spray insulation. DIY possible? too messy? (we are very experienced DIYers)

Any other thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments (18)