SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wtdedula0

Advice needed - Looking to buy a 1970s one story home with no basement

William Dedula
3 years ago

Hello All;

I am beginning to hunt for a house as a new retiree near Columbus, Ohio. I want a ranch style house, one story without a basement, age 1970s or newer. I have a couple of questions and need some advice.

1) Are there any specific problems or things I should watch out for when looking for this type of house?

2) In my current house which has a basement, plumbing and HVAC ducting are routed through the basement. How is plumbing and ducting routed in a house without a basement? I assume the house I buy will have a slab foundation. The owner of one house I tried to buy says he thinks it was routed through the attic but I've read many comments on the internet that seems to indicate it was embedded in the slab which scares me from a maintenance point of view.

3) I know the dangers of asbestos are overblown but am I likely to encounter asbestos in a 1970s or newer house and if so, where? I know I had it in my basement flooring and HVAC ducting in my current 1950s home and it was expensive to have removed.

Thanks.

Tim

Comments (13)