SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help with curtains on either side of TV please

2ajsmama
14 years ago

We just got a new large (42") plasma for Xmas, I want to wall-mount it but before we do I have to get the curtain rods up. I am going to place them high (maybe just allow for future crown?), have 96" drapes with 8ft tall ceilings (didn't want to buy 84" and have them too short). You all have almost convinced me to use clip rings (I bought them) and no valances (which I had already - bought the curtains in May 2008!). But the wide TV throws a monkey wrench in.

(sorry this is widest view I can get, ignore the old TV stand under window, and once TV is on the wall I will be looking for something else to put DVD player on, this old desk is just to try for higher placement - might still go a little higher than this with wall mount)

The TV is 40" wide, the space b/t windows (casing to casing, the stools stick out a little more) is 55". The shortest rod I have (sitting on stool here) is 52" from tip of finial to tip of finial.

So, do I hang this centered over the window, shortest length rod goes so finials start right at edge of casing? Do I go wider so finials go over the top of the TV? Or do I pull the rod off-center so the finial (and the curtain) go out farther on the sides of the windows away from the TV?

I am also thinking that I need to only put 1 drape on each window, put ring all the way over to TV side and put a tie-back (fabric or metal?) on the non-TV side to swag it over, 1 on each window so almost like making the pair of windows and TV in the middle one "unit".

Another thing (barely visible) is that the window frame wasn't flush with drywall so we had to cut into the drywall and "embed" the casing of the right hand window on the left hand (TV) side for the top 9". Can barely see the cut edge - I was going to have to covered by curtains but now no room for panel there. So do we caulk and carefully try to paint w/o getting it on stained wood, or put the valance on top of the swagged single panel?

Here's the other (82" total trimmed out width) window in the room. I can use 4 panels here, but I want the rod (have 86" and 120" to choose from) to come out same distance on either side as the longest side of the other 2 windows. The secretary is not staying so don't have issue in that corner.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor