SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Please help with TV/DVD table and curtains!

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I only got 1 response about curtains for windows on either side of TV, and I threw out too many options so starting over.

Here is my current (temporary) setup - TV will be wallmounted a little higher than it is sitting now, we will be replacing the table it is sitting on (and getting rid of the old TV stand that's now shoved under the left hand window). We plan on getting rid of the VCR and putting the DVD player on top of the new table, with 3 baskets of DVDs on the shelf underneath (until our collection outgrows the basket and then we will need a cabinet somewhere else in the room - like the corner where the secretary is - secretary is going on CL).

First question - should we get a console table like this one that matches our end tables? This one is a little too big (55", that would touch window trim on each side, and 32" tall is 2-3" taller than what I wanted), but I found one similar (no drawers, no slats on the back, legs slightly different) in unfinished furniture store that was $100 less and it won't cost me $100 to finish it myself. The unfinished one is 48" wide x 30" tall (might still be an inch too tall but maybe I can cut off the legs or it might settle that much into the carpet). The TV is 40" and the space between windows (trim, not stools) is 55". I could add slats in the back to help hide outlets. For reference, the current table is 43" wide and 27" tall (so TV would sit up 2-3" higher since unfinished table is 2" higher, DVD player is 2" high, and TV pedestal is 3" high so bottom of TV is now 30" off floor and it will have to be mounted at 32" or even 33").

Here's the other furniture

I also have the matching coffee table that I was just going to use for the DVD player (only 18" high so would have to hide wires going to TV). But it's about 10" too deep to really use there - if the height isn't a problem (at least it hides the outlets) does anybody have any creative ideas for cutting down the depth?

Next question (refer to first photo). What can I do to hang curtains on these windows? I have 7.5" from each side to TV to window trim, need to leave 3" or so on either side of TV for ventilation. I have 42" wide panels I was going to hang from clip rings. They're unlined, but heavy material so I don't know what stack-back would be, I think they're going to have to cover the trim and maybe part of the window. The finial would also stick out to just over the TV (in line with edge, but about 2ft above). Would that look OK? Here's the material and the rod:

Here's the Roman shade again (again double window that I need to treat similarly?)

Should I swag a single panel on each window asymmetrically to "frame" the TV like this?

(see link since I wasn't sure about copyrighting, scroll down to Nov 24th blog entry)

The panel isn't quite wide enough to cover the window. Should I forget the clip rings and use a valance to hide the fact that the panel isn't wide enough? Or is there some way I can use a pair of panels on these windows (one stacked back to each side with clip rings, or both panels swagged away from the TV but then the swags on the larger window won't be as full since I only have 6 panels? Swag double panels to one side on single windows and hang single panels one each side of large window hanging straight down?)

Please help - we want to get the curtain rods and the TV mounted this weekend! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of asymetrical curtains either side of FP

Comments (35)

• Penelope
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You're asking a lot of questions and I have to confess I'm a little confused about some of the options. You're using a console table or some alternative under the TV AND a separate table for the DVD, or just one table? Anyway, we've just upgraded our TV and equipment so I've been through some similar head scratching.

Think carefully about the ideal height of the TV. Too high and you'll get a crick in your neck. Sit on the sofa and run a string from eye level to the wall, both as is and where the center of the TV would be on various heights of furniture. You can also look at another thread, can't remember whether it's on this board or the electronics board, in which people debate the ideal height for the TV.

Are you good at finish carpentry? You seem to be proposing an awful lot of changes to your furniture. Cutting down the depth on the coffee table would be awfully hard, for instance. Would it be easier to keep looking to find something just right without needing changes? I know how frustrating it can be: we bought a large TV to go on a wall with an interior window on it (between den and kitchen), and really wanted to keep the top of the TV below the window. That meant needing a very low stand, and it was almost impossible to find. I ordered one that would have been an ideal height, but it was so ugly I couldn't stand it. I found another one that's 2-3" too high but I love the looks of. It's not ideal, darn it, but I guess we'll get used to it.

Cable management can be a pain. Unless you're snaking them through the wall, it's really hard to hide cables, especially in very open cabinets. You're obviously taking that into account, I see.

Window coverings: whatever you decide, make sure they're really room darkening. There's nothing so frustrating as trying to watch TV with window glare washing things out. I do like those roman shades, it's a nice clean uncluttered look. Personally, I'd prefer keeping some kind of shade rather than curtains, especially if they have a wide stackback. But that's a very subjective opinion. Hanging curtains over a shade, and swagged as you your illustration picture, would be pretty.

Your existing furniture is very pretty, I'm sure the room will look great whatever you decide.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks - maybe I just added to the confusion adding the table question. I just want to have people consider things all together, definitely have to take table width into consideration with curtains since tables are wider than the TV (so couldn't have drapes on that side at all with 55" wide table, not sure with 48" wide) and I've got floor-length drapes. We *are* planning on mounting the TV to the wall, and just using the table for the DVD player. I'd love to find something with storage but can't see to find anything much higher than the coffee table that's wide enough not to look strange under the TV, so table of some kind is best I can do. Finishing unfinished table and adding slats (prefinished, it's easier to finish them first then tack them on) is easy. Cutting down the coffee table depth would require a carpenter, and I'm not sure my cousin could do it and make it look right - it would be easier for him to build a new table (but would cost more than $100).

Cable management isn't too much of an issue (if we go with low table I can always run cables in the wall, and if insulation is a bother then we'll just do a raceway cover and paint it the same color as the wall). Though ideally I'd like to keep the DVD cable length under a foot and not have to bother with the A/V cables running through the wall, maybe just put a recessed outlet behind the TV for power and antenna). That's another plus for the 32" high table. I don't think having the TV centered at 43-44" off the floor will be a pain since right now at 40" it seems a little low, I like to look up slightly not straight ahead and now sitting on the couch I'm looking at the top 3rd of the screen. Dh is taller, and if it's too high for the kids on the floor we can tilt it down. Maybe we can even have it slightly below the top of the DVD player since the DVD player won't be pushed all the way to the back of the table. Then we won't have any cables showing LOL.

Re: curtains - do you think the room looks OK with just the romans? These were cheap, they're not lined, I just needed *something* quick and this color looked good with the curtains I really liked. Dh will kill me, but I suppose I could always sell the curtains and hardware on CL and just buy better (lined) shades. We've only got shades in the FR but that's a more casual space. Right now I've only got shades in the DR but really want to hang curtains over them (same pattern, in green).

We don't tend to watch TV in the daytime, but those are west-facing windows and the other is south-facing, so summer evenings we may get glare.

• Related Discussions

DVD help please

Q

Comments (2)
    What program are you using to make the dvd? Maybe you created a data storage dvd instead of a playable dvd. Are you windows or mac. The new windows vista makes a playable dvd, but it won't make a data dvd, you will need a program like nero to make data dvd. Or maybe the encoding was incorrect, and so your player is not reading it. Or maybe the sound track was muted out when you burned the dvd. There is usually a preview selection so you can see if you can both see the video and hear it before you burn the project.
    ...See More

at my wit's end - please help me pick a tv

Q

Comments (15)
    I have an interesting take on this subject as my husband and I did alot of research and just bought an sony wega lcd (widescreen and HD ready) We DO NOT have cable or satalite. Now most people think that we would be crazy to get a HD tv without the cable and just use air however the Air channels come in BETTER! we are even using the same stupid bunny ears for reception that we used on our old tv. Not only that we were so surprised that we can get 18 channels now, compared to the five we had before. WXXI has about 3 HD air channels and we get a local weather channel!!! My husband loves it. The HD air broadcasts are much better looking on the tv than the non-hd. Our tv doesn't stretch the images though however I understand that not all tv's have the same scaling so it is important to research this first. Our DVD's look awesome too and the sound it much better than our old tv. Although it was expensive I am really enjoying it. We saved up for a while and did alot of research first and I feel we made a really good choice. I was really impressed with the new plasma and lcd technology. We chose lcd because it has a much lower power consumption than plasma and is not prone to burn in like plasma (although this isn't so much a problem anymore) The sony has a usb port (awesome!!!!) so I can hook my camara up to it and view videos and pics. Also you can hook a computer up to it and use it as a computer screen. This is great for my husband who likes to work on it. Our previous tv was 26 inches and now we have a 40 inch widescreen. It is a big jump however and although i was worried about the channels coming in poorly they come in much better and look better! We really only use our tv for DVD's (hence us deciding on this specific tv). We stopped going to the movies long ago because they play commercials (which make us SO mad). We decided we would save our money and then buy a nice tv so we can enjoy our movies at home commerical free! I think the most important thing to do is think about what your tv will be used for most often and then do research to figure out what kind of tv will be good for you. If you are playing video games alot then you really need a tv that is different than if you are watching dvd's only. -renee
    ...See More

please help with hooking dvd player and vcr up to the tv

Q

Comments (6)
    Well my daughter was off on Monday and we tried again to hook it all up and still nothing. We got it all hooked up so you can view either the DVD player or the VCR player but can't record from either one. I KNOW there HAS to be a way we can record from one of them. There has to be since BOTH are capable of recording. BUT we just can't figure it out. The VCR is hooked so that it can be viewed through the video 1 on the TV and the DVD is on video 2 for viewing. The TV has 2 in areas on the back of it and the DVD player has only one out area in the back of it. She says we need TWO out areas on the DVD player to record. ????? BUT it's a recordable DVD player so that doesn't make sense. I'm so confused at this point I'm ready to say the heck with it all! :( The back of the TV only has one out and has 2 in hookups. Then the TV has an in hookup on the front of it and the DVD recorder has an in hook up on the front of it as well. The VCR has a hookup on the front of it but it's only yellow and white in colors. The others, the DVD and the TV plug ins have red, yellow AND white plug ins on the front. I used to record from the TV onto the VCR but don't know how to do any of that now since we got the DVD and it's hooked up. Anyway just wanted to tell you guys that and to also thank you for trying to help me get it hooked up!!!
    ...See More

Please help me arrange my furniture and find great curtains & tables

Q

Comments (10)
    Center the loveseat on the window. Push the sectional over toward the window so it is centered on the wall. The loveseat and sectional will be corner to corner, yes? Use a round table in the space left between the arms of the loveseat and sectional, with a pretty table lamp. Put the red chairs across from the sectional with their backs to the fireplace. Make sure the legs of all the furniture are on the rug. If the ottoman is used daily for propping up feet, keep it. Utility trumps fashion especially in your main relaxing space when you're on a small budget. You could drape a red plaid blanket scarf, a chunky knit throw (beige or taupe), or for summer a silvery grey or taupe pashmina (can be fake) over it to break up the black. You could paint the table that is next to the left side of the sectional a shade darker or lighter than Revere pewter to further lighten things up a bit. For curtains go with natural linen colour panels. Adding some pillows with a pattern will soften the sharpness of the black and red. I'll look for some pics :)
    ...See More
  • 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At the risk of outnumbering the responses to this thread with my own posts, is it OK to have drapes *behind* the table (pull the table out from the wall a bit) or do I have to have the outside edge of the drapes clear the edge of the table? I've got to go put a panel on a rod and see what the stack-back is, but I'm still trying to hang them with clip rings (UP, if not OUT b/c I still need wall space to sides of TV).

TIA to anyone who can help!

• User
    14 years ago

ajsmama, I think your idea for the drapes and rod will work perfectly. As for the DVD and another box (cable/satellite) have you thought about using a wall shelf unit for them? Darrell and I were looking at one at Lowes a couple weeks ago. I'll see if I can find it on their or someone elses website. We have a situation similar to yours only with much less room between the windows, so I think this could work for you too.
    We might even build out own since we're not sure we want glass shelves like this unit has.
    I'll be back.

• User
    14 years ago

I couldn't find the one on Lowes website, but this is pretty much the same. I think theirs was black though.
    {{gwi:1548137}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Where I found it.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

I like the console table you pictured. Your sofa is very pretty, & so are the occasional tables you already have. What wall color is that? It's very pretty.

Yes, for now the room looks fine with just the romans. I don't think that dealing with the window further is the domino that needs to fall right now. Get your room arranged & TV storage option settled then revisit the curtain issue.

Again, you have a great sofa, wall color & wood pieces. Accentuate what's positive, keep going in the direction you've been going in. It will all come together.

FWIW, If you're feeling the need to bring more color into the room, I'd get another rug before I'd worry over the drapes. Something bolder (about the same size) with the nice blue, stone & brown color combo you've got going. That's really popular right now, & you should be able to find something that's not too expensive. I think you'll be pleased with the impact that provides for not much money. ( First AJ's gonna have to roll off the roses so mom can move the rug!)

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I *did* put too many drapery options out there, justgotabme, I'm not sure which one you're referring to ;-? Do you have pictures of your windows (WTs?)?

I don't think I like the shelf pictured, too modern, but maybe my cousin could built one? Or I could just use spare brackets I have from kitchen island (brushed nickel) and a dark-stained shelf - I only need one for the DVD player. Just need storage for DVDs and I thought the baskets would look better sitting on a shelf than on the floor. I guess I can move all the wallplates (antenna connection - no satellite or cable - and power for both DVD player and TV, but then I'd have to patch/paint the wall instead of just hiding the current wallplates behind a table/baskets)

Stinky - thanks, the wall color is BM Antique Jade (it and Thornton Sage one shade lighter I have in rest of the house always read blue online). As far as "domino effect", I didn't want to be drilling holes and hanging hardware on those 2 windows once the TV was mounted for fear of damaging it, that's why I'm in such a rush (desperate) to find a solution. I guess I can just hang the rods and then experiment with drapes/rings/valances without doing too much damage?

I just feel like my windows are still bare with the romans only (and they do need lining - DD was just watching the end of a DVD I rented last night, it was a little bright in there at 1pm). The walls just need *something* - I need to hang pictures over the sofa and I might need something over the TV (since top will still be 43" below the ceiling, 32ish below the top of window trim, even with mounting it a little higher than now to clear DVD player on tall table). The room feels very cold even with the WTW carpet and rug - sometimes literally - leather is cold all year round!

I measured stackback of one panel - on the rod it's 15" (and add 3"+ for bracket and finial), on rings I can get it down to 12" (and put on ring b/t bracket and finial). You don't see much of the pattern then though. Maybe silk drapes instead (though DH wouldn't like spending more $ on curtains when I already have these brand-new ones I bought 2 years ago, and he sure won't let me replace the wool rug after only 2 years)?

Thanks for replying, keep the ideas coming! I was beginning to think I was talking to myself (which I do sometimes IRL!).

• User
    14 years ago

Sorry about the drapes. I have Owen on my lap while playing games to make him happy and reading posts when the games has ads so I was trying to make it fast. I meant I like the panel you showed above that you said was heavy fabric and wouldn't need lining.
    I meant to add to that making a wall mount in wood would probably work best for you. Think I mentioned we didn't like the glass, but didn't go on to say we're thinking about making one that better fits our home. I put the link incase you wanted dimensions.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Becky - I just thought said you said you liked the "idea" that you had a definite opinion on one of my many options LOL. And you did say you didn't like the glass, I also don't like the gray "spine" that covers the cables. Might look good with a wooden "spine" and glass shelves? I was thinking out loud (or through my fingers) when I was debating wood shelf with (8") nickel brackets as (cheap) alternative to furniture - but then have to think about hiding the cables and storing DVDs. Do you have any ideas for DVD storage other than the baskets? I don't think I have many brackets - 3 or 4 - so can't do 3 shelves, maybe could do 2 (unless I only have 3 brackets left, then should I do 1 low long shelf going under windows and put DVDs to side of player with my triangular marble bookends that are still packed away?).

• User
    14 years ago

Well when I have Owen on my lap, I don't always know what I've typed and never have the time to proof read like I usually do to make sure it makes sense.
    As for the gray "spine" I would imagine it could be painted to match the wall if one wanted too. In fact that makes the idea of buying instead of making all the more desirable. Hmmmm.....I'll have to tell hubby that. I think I'm liking the idea of glass shelves now also. They would disappear where wood wouldn't. Not a bad idea. Now if I could just figure out a way to make the DVD player and Cable box disappear!
    Can you get one of those tall skinny bookshelves that would match the rest of your wood furniture? I'm thinking one of them laying on it's side (if the top and bottom aren't too obvious) for DVD storage. Either that or do like my kids do and removed the DVDs from their holders and store in folders. I know if we had as many DVDs as we do VHS tapes that's how I'd store them. I store my photo CDs that way.
    Okay, I think I answered everything and made all the comments I wanted too. I'm cooking a late dinner since the guys were home way late because of the snow and drifting but no Owen on my lap.

• nutmegxo
    14 years ago

I really like the picture of that console you posted in your original post...can you tell me where you found that? I am in search of the same type of piece for my bedroom.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still need opinions about the drapes - but maybe 12" stack won't be too bad overlapping the window glass about 6", like jan_in_wisconsin did on either side of her FP?

I'm brainstorming shelving now instead of the console, I did look at bookcases in unfinished furniture store, but was thinking 1-3 units, tall one in center. Never thought of laying a 26" wide or so one on its side. Might be more $$ than unfinished console ($165) though, if it was say 8 ft tall (long). Built-ins would be too much $$ and no option to change later if I got new furniture.

nutmegxo - the pic is from American Signature website, if you're in CT (guessing from name?) they don't have stores up here, they're in NJ,PA, MD, VA area. I got my tables from CL someone who moved up here. But when I'm in unfinished store, I'll try to get manufacturer name and model for you if you're interested in unfinished.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Signature Arts and Crafts collection

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been talking to someone named Cathy who does a blog about curtains - she emailed me some sketches since posting photos wasn't working. Assuming I can piece together a long rod (would need to be about 14 feet to span a foot on either side of the windows), which one do you like better, a single rod going over the TV with a single panel on the outside edge of each window, or two separate rods (about 4ft each, placed offcenter over each window, I'd have just the finial on the TV side and about 6" over the casing, plus the finial, on the outsides)?

{{gwi:1548138}}

{{gwi:1548139}}

• User
    14 years ago

ajsmama, I've got a solution for you curtain rod if you don't mind wood. closet rod. I'm pretty sure you can get it in a fourteen foot length too. Lowes carries unfinished finials and the brackets too. The larger finials I think are about six dollars for a two pack, the brackets I think are about the same and the rod is, last time I noticed, about one twenty a linear foot. Probably cost you somewhere in the mid thirty dollar range before tax.
    I actually prefer it this way with two rods and four panels.....
    {{gwi:1548140}}
    But my guess is the panels are just for decoration. Now that I re-did the drawing I remembered you have romans there too, right?

• loribee
    14 years ago

I really like Sheila's second sketch or Becky's using the closet pole. I actually used them before in my old kitchen and they worked out well!

• Oakley
    14 years ago

The 2nd sketch looks perfect. If it were me, the first thing I'd do is get the stand for the DVD player, etc. and then worry about the curtains. I also would get a short stand that wouldn't hide the curtains. You can always buy narrow sofa tables or tables similar that aren't too wide.

When you get the curtains, hang them like Jan did her's.

Don't worry about where to put the DVDs because you can always store them in another room, or on a bookshelf if you have one in the LR. They'd be the last on my list of priorities.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and I was tending toward the single rod b/c I thought the finials above the TV would be distracting. I *was* originally going to hang 2 panels per window, I like Jan's, but since any table (coffee table I already own, or the sofa table I'm thinking of buying) will be about 48" wide, the curtains will either be right up against the table or behind it slightly. Will that look OK?

I also have 3 brackets left over from my kitchen island so I could just do a shelf, that could be shorter but needs to be at least 43" like the table/desk I have there now to look right with the 40" TV over it. It would have to be at least a foot deep for the DVD player and cables coming out the back (unless I bought cables with 90 degree connectors). I have to see if I can find a board that wide (1x10's are largest I think I've seen and they're slightly under 10"). Plus the brackets are only 7" deep so I'm not sure how deep a board they'd support. I'd also have about 2 ft from the bottom of the board to the floor and would have to think about what to do with that space (put baskets of DVDs there?). Gee, if I could just take the top off my coffee table, cut a foot off, put the sides and legs back on, I could have an 18" high x 48" wide x 16" deep table there, and also put a 12" deep shelf above! But I don't know if my cousin could do that.

I didn't see any bookcases I could turn on their sides (they all had a "finished" front face applied that created a lip on either side that would end up on the top and bottom, and make it hard to slide things out). But I had DD with me, so couldn't take time to look through catalogs at the unfinished furniture store. I *did* ask about buying an extra butcherblock shelf for the table I was considering, so I could add it and have a middle shelf as well as a bottom shelf - then we could even put the TV on top instead of on the wall, and put the DVD player on the middle shelf, or put the TV on the wall and add a surround sound system later. They'll get back to me on Tuesday.

I'd like to use the skinny rods and clip rings I already have, since I can't return them - otherwise I *would* use a closet pole. I *do* have romans but they aren't lined so we found that it would help to be able to close the (unlined as well, but heavy fabric) curtains too during the afternoon to cut the glare on the TV. We'll probably *really* want them in the summer when it stays light (west windows) til 9pm!

• Penelope
    14 years ago

I much prefer the first sketch with the single rod and drapery panels only on far left and far right. I think the alternative looks too busy and distracting.

Can you tape up sheets to simulate the effect either way, to get a better idea?

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Hi ajsmama - I love your pretty room and furniture. The wall color is really pretty too. Have you thought about contacting a cabinetry company and having something custom made for the space? Then you could have it made to the exact materials, specifications and finish you want. While the first two sketches look fine, I'm partial to the one posted by justgotabeme with the two panels on each window, as it looks most natural to me. We had a cabinety company make us custom towel shelves in our kids' bathroom, and it was worth it to have something fit nicely in the space. As you know, it can be hard to find something with the right measurements. Your drapery panels are really pretty. And, I think they will be fine unlined, as they are a heavy fabric. I didn't have mine lined, to reduce some of the bulk and because the fabric is so heavy already. No light is coming through the fabric.

I know this sorting out phase is a pain, but it will all be worth it when your room is beautifully done.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks - DH looked at the sketches and at Jan's photo, he liked the pair of rods with a single panel on each. So what we figured we'd do is to put the brackets up (tomorrow AM while kids are at my parents'?) one just to TV side of trim and other a foot out from the other side, and try the dual rods with one panel hung on each (a foot to the outside) as shown in the first sketch. If that looks too distracting we'll see if we can piece together a section of longer rod (I'll check how long the longest section of the 120" rod is before we drill any holes) using only the 4 brackets so we don't end up with one centered over the TV, and try the single rod look.

DH didn't really like 2 panels on each window - he said hanging them to the sides "makes it look more like a theatre". Plus I figure if we really need light control I can slide the panel over the window and there may be some leakage around the edges but it'll be better than just the unlined shades alone.

Once we get the rod length/position and number of panels (who knows, we may go to double panels on each window), we'll hang the rod on the larger window. That one isn't critical. I just want to avoid drilling holes after the TV is up. Which might not be for a while, since we won't mount it until I decide on/get something to put the DVD player on, so we know the height. If I order one with an extra shelf from the unfinished place (I don't even know if they'll sell their new floor sample - just got it in), it might take a few weeks.

I'd really like a built-in eventually, but for say $200 finished I think I'll just go with a table. That way I can think about what I want for built-ins (maybe an electric FP?).

Thanks everyone - I'll post pics as soon as we get them up (even if it's the same old table we have now in the middle and the TV on it).

Gotta shower and get DD to dance class, then my mom is picking kids up so DH and I can go to dinner (it's his Bday). Guess we'll have the cake I just took out of the oven tomorrow.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

What style are you going for? The single panel scooted to one side seems to modern.

Jan's is like the 2nd picture, isn't it? And that's the one your dh says looks like a movie theater? To me, it looks warm and comfortable.

I was thinking just last night before I read your topic that people don't do curtains anymore, not like Jan's. Even me! But I love them and am now considering getting some. Two panels on one rod and opened on each side.

I can see plaid panels in your room with sketch #2. It wouldn't be busy at all.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We're going with sketch number 2, may change to sketch number 1 if the finials near/over the TV seem too distracting. The single panels pushed way to the sides *are* more modern, but the furniture is kind of modern (transitional) too, not *really* traditional. I think (hope) it'll work. The pair of panels on each window just seemed too crowded with the TV taking up most of the space b/t the windows. I love Jan's windows and FP (like sketch number 3), but I think I like the more open look better. And hey, we're going more modern just by using clip rings instead of putting the panels directly on the rod with a valance over. My tastes have definitely changed in the past 2 years that I've been reading this forum and blogs!

• User
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday ajsdad!
    ajsmama, I can't remember if you have a Lowes or HoDe somewhat near to you? If so they have wood in wider widths, they sometimes call it laminated or glued panels. I found some on the Lowes site HERE. It's pine.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, and they actually measure 12" wide (though a 1x is only 3/4" thick)! I may stop next week at new Lowes near us (opened Labor Day, I've only been in a couple times) to check that out.

DD wants to tell her K teacher on Monday that it was her dad's bday this w/e "and he's 43!". He says he's 29. DD says he's getting old b/s he's getting white hair (2 big spots on his chin - he may have to shave the Van Dyke). Haha, she says I'm not old (she can't see my white hair, it's spread out more than his)!

The kids gave him gifts this AM, I was waiting til tonight to give him big gift but he "wanted to go out looking for moose" while DD was at dance class so I gave him the snowshoes. He saw the big box, said "You didn't have to get me a (surround) sound bar!" Surprise! They're already broken in now - he got them 6 hrs ago.

Heading to dinner now - Italian. I'll let you know how it was - trying Restaurant.com certificate, got $50 certificate for $10 but we need to spend $100 to use it. Hope they count the 18% tip toward the $100.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, some progress today - stayed in bed late ;-) and only succeeded in getting the old TV stand out into the truck, sort of located studs (will have to mark) above & to the sides of windows, figured out use pieces from 48" and 86" rods to make two 54ish rods for those windows, DH doesn't think going a foot to the outside of each window (stud app 11" from trim) is too far or too close to corner of room, held up half a rod with one panel for me to look at. I'll have to clip panels really low (a la Thrifty Chick mistreatment) until I can get them hemmed b/c the 95" panels are too long for my 8ft ceiling - want room for future crown molding. Determined the coffee table is definitely too deep to put b/t windows (or anywhere in the room - hate it in front of the sofa) so I'll have to try to CL it (alone w/o end tables - will anyone buy it?).

Took the old TV stand to Goodwill, ran back, got matching audio pier out of basement been there 2.5 yrs, put it on toboggan, DH pulled, I pushed up hill to driveway, took that to Goodwill. Everything's scattered around basement now since that was in back corner. Got my work cut out for me tomorrow AM (b4 DD's next dance class) moving things back. Have more stuff to go to Goodwill but need DH to load it (table, computers, etc.). Feels good to declutter some - though I still have some things I want to CL like the antique secretary in corner of LR.

Still haven't decided on what to do for DVD player - right now on top of tote box of curtains under the table TV is on. Maybe we can get curtains up this week and TV on wall next w/e, then I can move DVD player to table and live with mismatched furniture a while longer. DH agrees sofa table seems best solution but either we spend $200 (incl finishing materials, or extra shelf) for the unfinished "parawood" (rubberwood) one to match our CL end tables, $300-$400 on something similar but already finished, or $700-$1000 on a really nice cherry or oak table. That's twice what we paid for the TV! Plus then I'd want nice end tables to match so we'd be talking $2000+. Hadn't planned on that.

Our Lowes doesn't carry the glued pine "boards" justgotbme posted, just "panels" - so I have to look at them as see if they seem sturdy enough. They're the same (3/4") thickness so I don't know what difference is. That's the least $$ option for now (besides just keeping the table I have in the pic there - but that was supposed to be my sewing table).

• User
    14 years ago

Oh I missed you message last night. I'm glad you all had a good day yesterday. Love your darling daughter! LOL kids. They are so much fun.

I just bought a coffee table today on CL without the end tables. It doesn't really fit the style I have either, but wanted the fold outs it has. Not sure if I'll use it in the Gentleman's or Ladies Parlor. I'll have to measure both rooms (don't have exact now) and the furniture and see which it will work in. If not it'll go in the end of the Sunroom that's Owen's play room now.

Love how you get things to the driveway. LOL. Good idea. I've a few things in the basement that I've set aside for the local thrift stores too. It does feel good to clear stuff out.

If your Lowes carries what our Lowes has I'm sure it will be strong enough. I'll be using these boards/panels for lots of things I'll be doing in the future.

Think I'll go post my latest find! Can't wait to see your curtains up.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You've seen pics of our yard - walkout basement on south end of house (under the big LR window). 48ft away and I don't know, 10 ft down from driveway? Not a gentle slope either. Glad we had the toboggan (could have been a little wider) in the garage LOL.

Basement door is b/t the rocks and the window, look under the porch.

I got the things reorganized in the basement (don't know what I'll do when we get rid of our old cheapie folding table, b/c I've got a box of vases and my bread machine on it). I've still got 2 boxes of vases, etc. marked Fragile down there, a bread machine and an ice cream maker that I have no room for in kitchen cabinets, a box of Tupperware marked "wash and put away when cabinets are organized" LOL. It's been 2.5 years and my cabinets still aren't organized. I have boxes of wine glasses (glass) in my kitchen cabinet I put there when we moved in so they wouldn't get broken. China and crystal is in unfinished master bath. I haven't put anything in my china cabinet since we moved it into the DR over a year ago b/c I was thinking we might have to move it again to repaint the ceiling (again!) b/c it needs to be patched (again, they patched it 2 years ago) at the bottom of the stairs. Not to mention that if we have to tear up and replace the kitchen tile, the whole ground floor (hopefully not the LR - if we close doors and stuff the gap under them, otherwise the new TV will have to be put back in its box and stored somewhere safe) will be a dusty mess. It just never ends!

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

How did the restaurant coupon work out for that italian dinner ?

the amount to spend is usually calculated before taxes and tip !
    I've seen those coupons before but never used them. Curious I am. lol.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is the 2nd time we've been there - last month we used a $25 coupon, but we found this place has $25 entrees. Since it was DH's bday, this time we bought $50 coupon, I ordered a romaine salad (came grilled - yuck!), he ordered calamari appetizer, we figured we'd share. Well, his $11 appetizer turned out to be one 4" squid, 1 clam, and 2 baby octopi so he ate it all himself. He ordered a $24 entree (risotto with sausage and brussel sprouts - sounded good except for the brussel sprouts), I ordered a special lobster tail in kind of a tomato-based (turned out to be almost Fra Diavlo!) chowder that ended up being $29. Add a couple of glasses of wine, coffee, 1 dessert sampler and we had no trouble going over the $100 before tip.

On the bright side, we got to open the envelope they gave us in December - DH was hoping for the $500 gift certificate or even a free meal (would be around $100), but it ended up being a cooking class for 4 people. Date TBD. I don't know if this will be a private class or if we're going to be with other winners, since they gave away 12 of these. I'm sure they won't have 48 people at a time in the kitchen LOL but maybe 12? I was thinking of asking my cousin K and her sister - will have to see if K is up to it. Dh suggested my mom but no way would she be interested in Italian (esp. fancy-pants Italian) cooking class.

We did see on Restaurant.com that they've added more family-style places in our area (incl. my parents' favorite Italian place) so we're going to have to buy some certificates for those while they're half off (and with a $10 free certificate to restaurant of your choice with every order, the coupon we used Sat night ended up being free so we still had a nice meal for $88 after tip). DH wanted more kid-friendly places, DS is no problem but DD is so picky and antsy, I told him "Friendly's (local ice cream parlor chain, burgers, hot dogs and such) doesn't participate, sorry!" But a nearby pizza place (not our favorite but OK) does, we'll have to see if it's good for dine-in only or takeout OK.

Hey, I came back to show you this CL ad (went a little farther from home, Fairfield Cty where the formerly rich Wall st types live). Do you think this "china table" might work for b/t my windows, to put DVD player on, if dimensions are right? It's got plenty of storage, and even glass doors if I want to put components inside instead of on top and still use remote.

Here is a link that might be useful: china

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No reply from CL seller yet - but I happened to think about Mill Stores. I *think* there's one in CT, otherwise we may have to drive back to RI. But they have two - one similar to the parawood one I found in local store for $165 (but Mill Stores' is $90), another slightly smaller (but may still be OK) in OAK for $170. I like the oak, the legs even match my CL end tables exactly, but my current set is made of parawood so kind of a butcher-block top. And for $100 difference, maybe I can live with all parawood and when I get tired of it, just sell all the pieces as a set? Hang onto the coffee table until that day, or sell it now?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mill Stores sofa tables

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

I didn't read through all the replies, but we used to have our TV in front of two windows though have since moved it to opposite wall. Here is what it looked like between the windows:

{{gwi:1548142}}

We also debated many options for the TV console. The lower wider console runner below window height seemed to work best for us.

I also considered doing panels for each window or just the outer sections. It cut off more light than I wanted to sacrifice. It I were to do over, I would've gone for woven shades, though DH at the time was concerned about light control for the TV so the wooden blinds were most versatile in that respect.

• User
    14 years ago

Well the CL ad is still up and they said if it was up it was available. It's very nice looking and with Val's picture you know it'll look nice and work well.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks val. You really didn't have room for panels to the sides, both your windows are very close to the corners. Your console looks very much like the CL "china table" so I guess that will work LOL. At least functionally - I liked the glass doors on the sides and the drawers in the middle, figure we could put DVDs in the middle (and maybe even hang onto some VHS and the VCR, but we don't have to). I have to see if the dimensions work out, if the seller ever emails me. What do you think about the color/style with my end tables?

Unlike you, we don't have to put the TV on top of the console, since I've already bought a wall mount. So if the "china table" console doesn't work out, we can still use a table.

Do y'all think a table would make the (13ft deep from sofa wall to TV wall) room look larger than a console, even if the console was only something like 18" deep? Should I just go for the table instead?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seller says it's 54" wide and 30" tall so it won't fit b/t my windows - it will touch (or be overlapping in front) my window stools. I think I have to stick with something 42"-48" there since the TV is 40" wide and the wall is 55(+1/4"?) b/t trim, more like 54 3/4" b/t stools. I don't want it to be like DD's dresser that I had them space the windows to fit, and then they forgot about the stools so it just overlaps a tiny bit.

What about this one (I know it doesn't match the other wood in the room but it's the right size - 47"w x 21" deep and I'm waiting to see how tall w/o the tall part the TV can go on that's 57" tall)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry TV stand

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We got it! Mill Store had 40% off coupon this w/e, DH and I went over looking for the Mission Table but decided it wasn't really sturdy, lower shelf was very shallow. Plus I would have had to have my cousin make modifications to legs and route the edge of the top. But we found this one, the edge is already routed (underside bevel like my end tables) and I think the legs are similar. I may or may not add fake tenons on the front. I *am* going to take the ring pulls off the fake drawers on the coffee table (they're off in pic above from refinishing coffee table) and use them instead of the wood knobs on the new one. This one is 29" high, so TV will be about 2" higher than it is now, and it's 46" wide (55" between window trim), 16" deep (same depth as the one I thought we were going to get). And it was only $16 more than the one we had in mind.

End tables

I don't know if I'll add slats to the back - it would just be to hide power cords for TV and DVD player so I wouldn't have to move the outlet up 2ft. Those are easy enough to add later though (prefinish them and use finish nails to attach).

It's just going to be a little while til we get it in place - only had 1 assembled, we left that as floor model and took one packed flat in a box. It will be easier to finish in pieces and then assemble, so it's going to have to wait until it warms up enough that I can finish it in the basement or garage. The coffee table is stained, but I never put a finish on it, so I may experiment on that first to get the sheen to match the end tables before I do the new table.