SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlsingardens

Old time play things....my kids are weird throw backs

girlsingardens
15 years ago

One thing my mil doesn't understand when she decided to clean my house, I am not getting into it here, is that my family is different, often a throw back to another time. Right now Rhiannon is on the floor in front of me sorting out a pint of buttons. She will also sort out my old bottle caps, wear clip on earings, carries a hanky in her purse most days, and loves lots of costume jewelry the gaudier the better. I collect and love miniatures and they will spend hours looking though the huge jar I have of misc. stuff, miniatures, earings, old toys, other little odds and ends. Looking at them is kind of like one of those look and find books. Also I have 2 gallons of wooden spools that the kids like to string along on yarn and make necklaces with big beads, or Hayden likes to roll them on the kitchen floor, or the girls like to use them as building blocks. They also have tons of metal cookie cutters that they can ue to play with their play dough and make cookies. They also like to play with my batches of canning jars and zinc lids and making towers out of their lids and to pretend that they are canning things. I know that my grandma,mom, and I all remember playing with the same kind of things while growing up even though the kids have a lot of toys and fancy things, their favorites are old buttons, spools, clip on earings and hankies. Sometimes I think that Rhiannon is a throwback to my Great Grandma who we called Grams.

So are there any others out there that their kids or such play with these things or memories of playing with them??

Stacie

Comments (17)