SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qwibbled

Where do your kids play?

qwibbled
14 years ago

My wife and I are thinking of building a house and have posted plans here for critique, one thing a lot of people mentionned is playrooms and toy storage so I'm curious: where do your kids play? where do you keep their toys? The design we're kicking around is an ~1800' 3 bed/2 bath ranch house with a finished basement (including 2 guest rooms). There would be a large kids playroom/tv/videogame room down there but it probably wouldn't get used much until the kids are about 5? We'd spend most of our time on the main floor and so i'm assuming we'll want them upstairs where they can be easily supervised. For the first year they can't walk so between ages 1-5 I guess is what I'm after.

We have friends that have a really nice playroom setup in their basement (one story home, stay at home mom), they let their son play down there, he's about 5 and their daughter as well as long as he's there too, she's 3. 75% of their toys are in there, another 20% in their bedrooms and about 5% in the living room. It works but only recently did they let the kids go down there alone. Then there's my sister (one story home, stay at home mom) who got rid of her coffee table and just lets the kids (2 and 4) take over the living room every day. She has a little corner where she just puts all the toys at the end of the day. They have a playroom in the basement where they have about 70% of their toys but they never go down there because she never goes down there. They just play with what they have in the living room running around to their bedrooms and back and the basement toys rarely ever get touched. My other sister (two story home, working mom) had a formal dining room and converted that into a playroom which was very convenient, she had all their toys in there which was a bit crazy, wall to wall toys when the kids got going. They went from that room to the basement and have never really played much in their upstairs bedrooms.

What about you?

Comments (18)