SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edieallie

Did you or your grown kids play with toys when they were young?

OllieJane
11 years ago

I have a question for all of you with grown kids, OR even yourself, did any of you or them NOT play with toys when they were young? If they did not, what kind of adult did they, or you, turn into?

The other day at a friends house, a couple of us were laying by the pool watching our boys swim, and I was telling them my DS, who is 9 years old, does not play with toys, and hardly ever did play with toys. One of the mom's said hers didn't either. My son and her son are very sports-oriented and above average students (although, I send my DS to tutoring once a week from his last year's 2nd grade teacher, as he will be going into 3rd next school year, just to keep some of what he learned last year retained) and all my son thinks about is sports. He hates to read, but, I make him. I read with him from the time he was a baby-nope, he still doesn't care about reading, but, he is a GOOD reader-go figure. He LOVES basketball!! He knows every player in the NBA and thinks he's going to grow up and be a pro player! Problem is...he's already got 2 strikes against him...he's WHITE (LOL) and he's probably not going to make it to 6 ft! He cracks me up, saying he wishes he was black like Russell Westbrook of OKC Thunder! He is good, btw, but, I am just being realistic.

One of his friends (mainly because his mother and I are really good friends) is very intelligent, played with Legos constantly, and likes video games. The only video games my DS plays are sports-related.

I just have always thought it was strange how he never liked to play with toys. I bought so many toys from him over the years and was just wasted money. There have been a number of times, we have walked through Toys R Us, and come out with nothing, because nothing interest him.

He is such a good kid and everyone loves to have him over. He thinks and acts much older than he is, converses with adults, probably because he is an only child and is around a lot of adults. He likes playing with older kids, too.

All of my friends kids, his age, are not like my son, and maybe I am comparing too much. Anyway, this is long, and I could go on, but, we are getting ready to leave to a sports agility camp (LOL), but, was just really curious how this could play out!

Comments (20)