SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Turkey Burgers

wizardnm
14 years ago

Just finished writing a column about turkey burgers, so here ya go....

LOCAL TASTE

TURKEY BURGER TIME

A few years ago I picked up a package of ground turkey and when I got home, I realized I had no idea what to do with it. It was summer, so my first thought was to try it on the grill, so I began searching for turkey burger recipes. A few recipes turned up in my cookbooks and even more showed up on the internet. I used a basic recipe that turned out very bland but instead of giving up, I bought more turkey and kept trying. Why? Because I felt that this healthy alternative to using ground beef for a burger had real promise.

The key to a good turkey burger is to put stuff in it. There is nothing less appetizing than a turkey burger that is literally just turkey, with no seasonings and no life. Ground turkey needs all the help you can give it. In fact it is so basic that you can take in any flavor direction you want. I probably have not made a turkey burger exactly the same way twice. So dont be afraid to experiment with different herbs, Tex-Mex seasonings, Asian flavors and be adventurous. With turkey it all works.

Turkey Burger Cooking Tips

Add colorful ingredients like tomatoes, fresh herbs and peppers

Sauté vegetables a few minutes in olive oil. Turkey burgers need the extra flavor boost so use a heavier hand with fresh herbs

Eggs and bread crumbs will help bind the turkey and add extra flavor. Try adding grated cheese also.

Spray your grilling area with cooking spray or brush with canola oil to keep the burgers from sticking.

Here are two recipes to try. The first is quick and easy and can be mixed up and can be pan fried. The second recipe is the one I took a picture of, when writing this column. Juicy and full of flavor, I think itÂs just about perfect.

EVERYDAY TURKEY BURGER

1 tbsp canola oil

1 pound ground turkey meat

1 large egg

1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp dried marjoram

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp smoked paprika

Salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Shape into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for about 4 minutes per side until browned and juices run clear.

PERFECT TURKEY BURGER

1-20 oz package of ground turkey

1 small onion, chopped

1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped

¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 beaten egg

½ cup fresh bread crumbs

salt and pepper to taste

Olive oil, for cooking

Barbeque Sauce (optional)

Sauté onion and pepper in a little olive oil until soft, set aside to cool.

Combine remaining ingredients with ground turkey in a bowl. Add vegetables.

Shape into 4 or 5 patties.

Grill or fry burgers until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side.

After you flip the burgers, brush the top with barbeque sauce if desired. I used American Spoon Maple BBQ Sauce and it added to the overall flavor.

Add lettuce, tomato and other condiments as desired.

Nancy

Comments (7)