SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
appliance_researcher

Washing Down Comforters/Pillows in a Maytag Bravos washer

Hey folks!! :o)

So since my grandmother raves about the Bravos 6600 I bought her a while back, I was in the market for a new W/D set and decided if my grandmother loves hers, it MUST be a good washer since she is so critical of the slightest flaw!!! lol!!

So back in January I bought an 850 set (dryer too) and while they perform wonderfully for the most part, there is definitely a learning curve. I just learned today that when using the Bulky cycle, it's best to wash 2 large quilts/blankets together as opposed to just one so it doesn't roll up into a giant quilt-ball and go unbalanced!! lol!

But other than the Bravos set is marvelous.......except when washing items filled with down!!!

I've washed my down pillows, my queen-down comforter and queen down duvet in the Bravos, on the Bulky cycle, and all they do is float to the top and barely circulate through the water or don't circulate at all.

I use Perwoll as my detergent when washing down items......great stuff!!!

Anyhoo, not sure how to troubleshoot this one. The down is so lightweight even after an initial soak and spin to get out air bubbles, the down items just suck in air again.

Also, the Bravos does this soak/spray thing at the beginning of the Bulky cycle that takes FOREVER and seems to give the down items more time to suck in more air!

Any other items I have no problem w/ the soak/spray thing it does on the Bulky cycle, its actually a nice feature! But that length of time seems to promote more air getting back into the down items and hence, they float to the top so the impeller only circulates the water and not the items that need washing. :o(

I've also tried lower water-level cycles such as the Colors cycle and it still did the same thing! Also tried packing the Bravos w/down items (a bunch of pillows and the comforter and duvet all at once) thinking that would leave less room for air but nope.....just floated to the top and almost hit the glass lid because it was so full!! :o/

I don't know.....should I try the Normal cycle? I'm afraid that would be too little water for bulky down items.

Mara_2008, I know you love your Bravos and have had no problems w/it. Have you washed down items in it successfully? And did I hear you got an 850 too? Do you LOVE it? :o) How do you like the heater? I absolutely LOVE the heater feature but I was very pleasantly surprised to see how well my Bravos washes clothes (except for down items of course) without the heater engaged!!

Yes it's true, I do feel the Bravos is a fantastic washer and do recommend it despite the down issue I'm having!!! Yes there's a learning curve but I've figured out most of the issues I've needed to and once I did it performs beautifully for me!! And really, what HE machine doesn't have a learning curve? And as for this down items drama, I'm hoping it's just a matter of time that I figure out how to troubleshoot this issue!!!

So any suggestions anybody may have would be greatly appreciated!!

And do let me know if I left out any pertinent info! Thanks so much!!! :o)

Kevin

Comments (12)