SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

Need ideas for an EASY picnic side dish

cynic
15 years ago

Hi. Need some ideas so I decided to come to the experts. I have an annual picnic coming up in the end of August. It's a pot luck deal, the sponsor provides the burgers & brats, everyone is to bring a side dish to share. End of August in Minnesota can be in the 80s or the 60s and it's outside so can't really bet on having an outlet to have a crockpot or anything.

OK, not such a bad thing, but.... It's about 150 miles from home and I like to go up 2-3 days early to have some R&R. So I don't have acccess to my kitchen, just a motel that will have a small "dorm" frig, and probably a microwave. I could bring an electric frypan or something if it's a pasta salad for example to cook the pasta or whatever. That's not a big deal. While I don't want to spend a fortune I'm not against dropping a $20 or so (even a little more) and don't mind a little effort just so it works with what I have to work with. More importantly though is easy, foolproof, nay, idiotproof ;) and something that doesn't require a full-fledged kitchen.

In years past, I've bought salads, sweet breads, watermelon (which actually went over great) and supplies (paper plates, plastic flatware, napkins, etc).

I've seen some recipes about adding BBQ sauce and onion to normal deli coleslaw, doctored up potato salad, etc. That's a possibility. Ideally I'd like to do something that I can do either early in the day of the picnic, (picnic starts at 5PM) or the day before.

I'm not adverse to bringing a bucket of ice if needed to chill it for a while, but hopefully whatever can last a couple hours without a lot of fuss.

Here's some of the ideas I've set aside as possibilities. (Got them on Ivillage)

Red Neck Salad

2 15-oz. cans shoe-peg corn, drained

2 15-oz. cans black-eyed peas, drained

1 tomato, diced

1 red onion. sliced

16 oz. bottle zesty Italian dressing

Combine corn and peas in bowl. Add tomato and onion. Pour about half the dressing over mixture, add more as needed and refrigerate 4 to 5 hours.

Three Bean Salad

1 (1 lb.) can cut green beans

1 (1 lb.) can garbanzo beans

1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1/2 cup sugar

2/3 cup vinegar

1/3 cup salad oil

1 teas. salt

1/4 teas. pepper

Drain green beans, garbanzo beans and kidney beans and combine. Add green pepper. Combine sugar, vinegar, salad oil; pour over vegetables. Add salt and pepper; toss. Chill overnight. Before serving, toss to coat beans; drain. Serves 6 to 8.

Ham and Ranch Pasta Salad

2 cups elbow macaroni or small shells

1 cup ranch dressing-low fat or regular

2 tablespoons milk

1 1/2 cup diced ham

2 green onions, chopped

1 green pepper, diced

Cook pasta al dente according to instructions, drain and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl mix the dressing and milk. Then add all the other ingredients, including the ham and the pasta. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Chill before serving.

These are just some ideas that looked workable, relatively easy and shouldn't be too high maintenance. I also thought about a relish tray, celery, carrots, radishes, green onions, etc. I have pretty much counted out making something like mud bars and/or butterscotch brownies because of the time between making them at home and keeping them until the picnic but I haven't totally counted out making some homemade cookies. They should go a long way and will travel well and still be good after a few days.

Oh, I don't really have to make a whole lot since everyone is to bring something. Essentially the folks that are doing the work that day (cooking, setup/teardown, etc) aren't expected to bring a dish so I don't need to make for 100 people or anything.

So.... was you me, what would you do? I'd sure appreciate any and all suggestions, comments, ideas or...? My mind is kind of spinning. The good thing is I have a couple months to decide!

Thanks!

Comments (7)