SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrot_phan

Need advice on pre-owned Miele W1918

parrot_phan
16 years ago

I have an opportunity to upgrade to a pre-owned Miele W1918 for less than $500. I need advice on whether or how to proceed.

The machine was in a home that the seller's family moved into 7 months ago. They opted to have the movers install their Maytag Neptune in the basement laundry room and take the Miele upstairs to the garage.

First off, the machine has no power cord  a fact the seller hadnÂt noticed until I pointed it out. I had hoped to plug the machine in and run it through a cycle.

Second, the washer's door has been closed for the past 7 months. You guessed it, the bottom part of the door boot has a lovely colony of splotchy mold  though nowhere near the size of the mold metropolis that grew on my brother-in-lawÂs Neptune.

We removed the lint filter, draining the residual water from the machine. The filter was fairly clean, with just a bit of linty, detergent residue. The detergent drawer had some detergent residue as well, but no mold in it or behind it. The Miele water intake hoses and discharge hose are attached and in excellent condition.

Externally, it looks clean, and the drum and fins look sound. The seller told me the previous owner of the house was a single woman who used the machine only a little.

Here are my questions:

1. The machine was moved into the garage without shipping struts. Could it have been damaged?

2. Is the mold on the boot cleanable  or would the machine require a new door seal? Is this a DIY job or one for a Miele technician?

3. Can anyone give me an approximate cost of these three items: shipping struts; power cord; rubber boot?

4. Should I pursue this or walk away?

Molly, I know you love the model 1918, so I hope you'll chime in.

Comments (21)