SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

key limes...

stacy3
15 years ago

I've never even seen a key lime before - I didn't know they were so cute!

But my store had some today and I bought them.

Anyone have a great recipe for key lime pie or anything else?

Thanks!

Stacy

Comments (16)

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Stacy here are a couple recipes that I love. I have to apologize to anyone that may be the authors of these. I think the mini tarts are from Paula Deen, but not 100% sure!

Key Lime Tarts

This recipe can be easily doubled to make as many tarts as you need.
    24 Key Lime Cooler cookies
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1 egg
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons lime juice, preferably Key lime
    1 teaspoon lime zest
    Fresh sweetened whipped cream
    Mint leaves or lime zest, for garnish
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Fill 2 (12-muffin) mini muffin tins with paper cups and spray cups with cooking spray. Place 1 Key Lime Cooler cookie in the bottom of each cup, flat side down.
    Prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, lime juice, and zest until well mixed. Fill the cups to the top. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove tarts to cool. When completely cool, fit a star tip in a pastry bag and fill with the whipped cream. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the tarts. Garnish with tiny mint leaves or lime zest.

Key Lime Mini-Tarts
    1 cn (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 c key lime juice (I've used lemon or regular lime as well.)
    1 container (8oz) Frozen whipped topping, thawed
    4 packages frozen mini fillo dough shells
    Raspberries, if desired
    1. Bear milk and lime juice in a large bowl on medium speed until smooth and thickened. Fold in whipped topping.
    2. Spoon heaping teaspoonful lime mixture into each fillo shell. Cover and refrigerate tarts at least 1 hour or until set but not longer than 24 hours. Garnish with raspberries. 60 Tarts
    Key Lime Pie

Crust:
    5 tablespoons butter, melted
    1-1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup Key lime juice
    2 teaspoons grated lime zest
    2 eggs, separated
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/4 cup sugar
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    For the crust, combine ingredients and pat down into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes.
    In a medium bowl, combine the milk, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon zest; blend in the egg yolks. Pour the filling into the crust.
    For the meringue, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar and remaining teaspoon zest until the mixture is stiff. Spread the meringue over the filling; spread it to touch the edge of the crust all around. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.
    NOTE: Whipping cream whipped to soft peaks add powered sugar to sweeten and lime zest can be subbed for egg whites.

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

This is delicious and makes a beautiful presentation. It can be cooked ahead of time and served at room temperature. I use 2 bamboo skewers (soaked at least 30 mins) threading thru the top portion and tail.
    Serve with rice or pasta salad and a vegetable.

Rum Glazed Spicy Shrimp
    (recipe from my local grocer's ad that was featuring Key West Pink Shrimp)

2 1/2 lb shrimp
    6T light Rum (4T + 2T)
    2T fresh Key Lime juice ( I have also used regular limes)
    2 T olive oil (see note)
    3 garlic gloves, minced
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I use more)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1T cider vinegar

Peel shrimp, keeping tails intact. Place in bowl with 4T of rum, key lime juice, oil, garlic, red pepper flakes & salt. Toss to coat throughly. Cover; marinate in frig for 30 - 60 mins.
    In small bowl combine brown sugar, vinegar,& remaining 2T rum. Stir.
    Thread shrimp on skewers. Lightly brush with brown sugar glaze.
    Grill over med - hot fire about 3 minutes per side, brushing w/ additional glaze until shrimp are opaque.

Note: For more zing I use 1T olive oil + 1T hot chili oil

• Related Discussions

Anyone have both Key Lime Pie and Lime Rickey?

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, this is only my 2nd year growing Heucheras. I began last summer and none of my 20+ Heucheras had flowers (except a couple tried to shoot out maybe one or two stems). This year beginning in spring, majority of them sent out so many flowers. Only a few have not and Lime Rickey is one them. I actually prefer it this way. I enjoy seeing the chartreuse color of Lime Rickey.
    ...See More

Lime comparison - key lime vs. "giant" key lime vs. limequat

Q

Comments (17)
    Parker T - > just FYI - in my particular yards, I had conflicting scenarios (after dips to 18-19F) but have a different preference. I've "soured" on any cultivar with 'quat in its name; they are not as cold hardy as I had hoped. In Napa, the Eustis Limequat (on Volk) was killed to just about the graft - regrew and is now 10 ft. tall - took over a year. The Bearss lime just lost its leaves and refoliated, produced a huge crop right away. In Danville, the Bearrs lime was completely destroyed, the Volk rootstock lived. While the Eustis in my neighbor's yard was defoliated and came back. From what I've seen since, the Eustis fruit gets destroyed quickly when the temps go below freezing. The Bearss lime fruit can and has survived to 29/30F. So my vote is for the Bearss or Persian lime -because I want fruit! - far better for my climate's fall/winter dips below freezing. - George
    ...See More

Key Lime - Leaves with brown spots

Q

Comments (4)
    My lemon tree has few spot on the leafs. it doesn‘t look happy. it has few lemons which they are growongwing. i am concern and not sure what to do.
    ...See More

Key lime: two different looking seedlings from one seed?

Q

Comments (52)
    I can answer the question. This does not happen often but occasionally both a zygotic and a nucellar seedling can sprout out of the same seed. The nucellar seedling will typically be the stronger one and be genetically identical to the fruit parent. The zygotic one resulted from sexual recombination and have different mix of genes. Usually the nucellar seedlings sprouting out of the seed (if there are any) are so strong that they take all the energy away and the zygotic sprout will not form.
    ...See More
  • shaun
    15 years ago

Stacy I was also looking for a yummy key lime pie recipe and came across this one. I found it through a google search, so I can't thank the author.

Filling
    1 pound cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup fresh lime juice
    a 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest

In a food processor blend cream cheese, lime juice, and condensed milk until smooth. Add zest and pulse just until combined.

Then you pour it into a graham cracker pie shell and chill. No eggs so you dont have to cook it.

I'm making this one at the end of June. But I'm making it in little wine glasses, little individual grab-n-eat desserts. Also doing cheesecakes like that too. I bought graham cracker crumbs to put in the bottoms of the glasses.

• stacy3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oooh thank you all! I will be back with more specific thanks and to copy but it's thundering AGAIN and I'm turning off the comptuer.

• stacy3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh my - I'm back! I want to make all of these! gina, My aunt will go gaga over those cookies and her b'day is this week.

And I was thinking maybe key lime pie today - but if I run out of time, the tarts sound so easy!

mago-I love that you included something that isn't dessert - those shrimp sound wonderful - maybe we can have them for father's day tomorrow. Or maybe for our get together today - they would be a nice addition to the wings we were having.

Shaun - what a creative idea with the individual servings - you're good!

Now would you mix the graham cracker crumbs with sugar and butter before putting in the glasses? Love that idea!

I think I need to look for more key limes - lol.

Stacy

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Key limes make a very tasty marmalade...but prepping all those itty bitty limes makes it a real labor of love. I thought I would go mad slicing them all up and picking out the seeds.

Since I made it though, I came across a marmalade recipe that calls for the fruit to be cooked whole first, and then sliced, which might make it easier next time.

• User
    15 years ago

Oh that shrimp recipe sounds delicious! I can make two batches leaving out the red peppers for the resident wimp and adding some chili oil for me!

Copied and pasted!

• Lars
    15 years ago

Here's my recipe for lime pie. I've made it many times because I get so many limes from my tree. It's a family favorite, but possibly because the limes are so fresh. I use regular limes, but Key limes are fine also.

Lars' Lime Pie

Crust
    6 tbsp unsalted butter
    2-1/2 tbsp sugar
    1-1/4 cups Graham cracker crumbs

Filling
    2 tbsp cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
    2 tsp sugar
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    3-4 fresh limes (enough for 1/2 cup juice)
    2 tbsp cornstarch
    1 smidgeon salt (1/32 tsp)
    1 Â 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

Topping
    1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp cornstarch

Directions
    Melt butter and add sugar. This can be done in a 9" or 8" Pyrex pie pan, or a bowl, as you prefer. Add the Graham cracker crumbs and mix with a fork to combine. Press into a 8" or 9" pie pan and bake 7 minutes at 350° and allow to cool.

Soften the cream cheese in a bowl with 2 tsp sugar and add the eggs. Beat to combine thoroughly. Zest the limes, preferably with a Microplane grater, to obtain 1 tbsp lime zest, to be used later. Squeeze limes to obtain at least half a cup of lime juice, and add the cornstarch . Mix this with the cream cheese/egg mixture and add the salt and condensed milk, and combine. A hand-held mixer can be used at this point, especially if you have used it to beat the cream cheese and eggs. Stir in the lime zest by hand and pour the mixture into the slightly cooled pie shell. Bake at 375° for 18 minutes. Allow the pie to cool, and then chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.

Chill the egg beaters and bowl for the whipping cream in the freezer while the pie is chilling, and then whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and cornstarch and beat until fairly stiff. Cover the top of the chilled pie with whipped cream and serve.

Yield: 8 servings.

*Note: You can use powdered sugar in the topping instead of regular sugar + cornstarch.

Lars

• kayskats
    15 years ago

if you have any frozen cranberries:
    Cranberry-Key Lime Relish

MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
    PREP: 10 MIN.

1 (12-oz.) bag fresh cranberries*

4 Key limes

1 cup sugar

¼ cup fresh mint leaves

2 Tbsp. orange liqueur or fresh orange juice

1. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor 10 to 12 times or until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.**
    * 1 (12-oz.) bag frozen cranberries, thawed, may be substituted. Note: Key limes are smaller, a bit more round, and have a thinner skin than Persian limes.
    **I found that this sauce got bitter if refrigerated even a few days, so this is a make and eat recipe as far as I"m conerned, but when fresh, it tops my former favorite Fresh Orange-Cranberry Relish

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I've been meaning to add to this thread because I fairly recently had to make 10 key lime pies for a function.
    They really turned out spectacular and were very easy.
    It's a recipe I've used for 15 years or so.

I made them in 9" and 10" springform pans. The crust is only on the bottom. I cooked them both the same amount of time and thought the 10" pan made a better presentation. There wasn't that much difference between the two.

I lined the bottom part of the pan with parchment and tucked it under the bottom of the pan. I also cut a strip for the side and tucked that in the pan after the bottom covered part was in place but not locked.

Crust:
    The recipe on the side of the box of Graham Cracker crumbs. They are all the same:

3 Tablespoons sugar
    1/3 cup melted butter
    1 and 1/4 cup crumbs

Mix all together. Gently place in bottom of pan then press down with a rubber spatula. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Cool on rack. It doesn't matter if you cool it or not, btw.

Filling:

8 egg yolks
    2 cans sweetened condensed milk - I used regular
    1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice - I used 7-8 regular limes
    2-3 heaping tablespoons zest

Whisk everything together. Pour into pan and bake for 40
    minutes at 325. Cool on rack and unlock pan after 15 minutes or so. Remove side parchment after pie is totally cool.
    To serve: I piped whipped cream on top and added lime wedges.

This may be frozen (initially) with the bottom pan. After it is frozen, remove parchment from pan and sides. Store in freezer in a box.

Note the oven temperature drop.

• stacy3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for these recipes!

I did make the shrimp - a week or so ago. OMG - it was fantastic. I will be making it again.

Last night I also made this:

I tasted it - but it is in the fridge to do something with tonight (It's crazy around here - lol!) It tasted really good.

I had it in my files since 2004...sigh.

I'm a little behind.

Key Lime BBQ Beef Roast

3 lbs Sirloin Tip, Inside Round, Eye of
    Round, Outside Round or Rump Oven Roast

2 tbsp 30 mL EACH soy sauce and honey

1/2 tsp 2 mL Tabasco sauce

1/4 cup 50 mL lime juice

1 tsp 5 mL ground cumin

2 tbsp 30 mL oyster sauce (optional)

Pierce roast numerous times with a fork. Combine
    marinade ingredients in shallow container or
    resealable freezer bag, reserving 2 tbsp (30 mL) of
    the marinade for basting roast while barbecuing.
    Marinate roast 12-48 hours in refrigerator. Discard
    used marinade. Insert meat thermometer into centre
    of roast. Grill fat side up or cook on rotisserie over
    drip pan in closed barbecue over indirect medium
    heat ONLY to rare (i.e. internal temperature of
    140ºF/60ºC) or medium (i.e. internal temperature of
    160ºF/70ºC). Baste roast with the reserved
    marinade while barbecuing.

• lindac
    15 years ago

I had a wonderful key lime pie made from fresh key limes. I asked her how she squeezed all those tiny things and she said it took a long time!!
    Is there an easy way to get the juice out of key limes?
    Linda C

• stacy3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah Linda - even though they are juicy - they're tiny! I am thinking about one of these thingies...what do you think? It still would be time consuming but probably not so tough on your hands? Maybe we should ask mustangs?

Stacy

Here is a link that might be useful: citrus squeezer

• trixietx
    15 years ago

I have the citrus squeezer and it is easier than doing it by hand, but it still takes a little time if you have several limes to squeeze.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I have the same squeezer ...one of my must have tools.

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

A tip I saw somewhere - is to put the cut lime half between the 'handle" part of the tongs ( not the end part that you normally pick up food) and squeeze. I use this method when I need alot of lime or lemon juice.