SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

Lime comparison - key lime vs. "giant" key lime vs. limequat

So I made a nice dinner today - shrimp seviche (with my Persian limes) and key lime pie. We all enjoyed the meal and I took some pics to compare the key lime varieties. Here is a pic of the persian limes - one was huge, the other normal sized:

Unfortunately, I squeezed the limequat (I think it is a Lakeland limequat) before I took the pics. Of all three varieties, I have to say the limequat had the most juice. It may have been though that they were very ripe - yellow to greenish yellow - while the key limes were still fairly green. This pic shows the "giant" key lime (not so giant ;-) and a regular key lime from Kevin (my thorny key lime). Two things I noted: the true key lime was juicier (at least these were) than the "giant" key lime, and the latter one also had more seeds.
"Giant" key lime on left, and regular key lime on right
Giant key lime on top. A few other things I noticed: the rind of the limequat was the least usable meaning it was so thin that it is harder to zest and seems to have fewer oils. The giant key lime had a thicker rind than the key lime and it was easier to zest. When I cut it, you could see the aerosol (moisture and oil) from the cut - kind of cool. We ate the pie before I could take a pic LOL! I was feeding my family of six plus mom and uncle. It went fast! Overall, I am happy with the fruit. The giant key lime was a bit of a disappointment in that it was not really that much bigger than the regular key lime, but it is still a relatively young tree (maybe 3-4 years) so the fruit quality may improve with age.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!