SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetn

Brain tumor update

ilovetn
12 years ago

For those of you who asked, I just wanted you to know that things are going well. I have no pain from the brain surgery and sometmes I feel so well that it amazes me! God has been very good to me. Last week, I met a lot of new doctors and things are taking shape. I should be beginning radiation with concurrent chemo within the next two weeks. I'm actually looking forward to the next stage so that I can get this treatment behind me.

What I may be looking for is nutritious recipes that a queasy stomach can tolerate! Especially from those who have been there, done that. Though I don't post much, I have gleaned so much information from these forums. Everyone is so anxious and willing to help others.

Thanks, Carol

Comments (26)

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Carol, I'm so glad to know that everything is still going well for you. I haven't been there or done that, but I have family members who have, and I'd be happy to help any way I can.

You'll stay in my thoughts and prayers as you continue with your treatment.

Annie

• ilovetn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Annie. You are certainly one whose posts I love to read.

• Related Discussions

Brain tumor, Stroke or Parkinson's

Q

Comments (83)
    I called and at least got them to move the appt. from the 26th to the 14th. I guess if you not dying, then there is no big rush. I know I should be relieved, but I just want to know what is going on. I got the results in an email and it was not normal, but the explanation was medical gibberish to me. I did lots of web searches but it more confusing than helpful. I need the doctor to explain it. I want to move on with my life and not have this hanging over my head. Clare
    ...See More

Cell phones, brain tumors, and a wired earpiece

Q

Comments (8)
    Flyingflower, I use wireless headphones a lot, too. From what I understand, they use a completely different technology than cell phones. The article says that cell phones have non-ionizing radiation and that's what the suspected risk is. Most wireless headphones use radio signals, so they have a little radio receiver in them. Not the same thing at all. I've searched and searched to find out if wireless headphones have that kind of radiation associated with them, and have found absolutely nothing that implies that they might. So I think we're safe on the headphones!
    ...See More

Bradley, 2 y/o with Brain Tumor - -Need Prayers!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Ohmygosh. I didn't know you could cry for someone you don't know. I am really crying here. I know they can do miracles, I really hope his doctors and the good lord give him one! Prayers for Bradley and his family,friends and the doctors!
    ...See More

Susan__Ont.... remember she had brain tumors?

Q

Comments (31)
    I do feel better every day, Shirley. And my symptoms will probably improve for at least another week. I think at this time they are just going to monitor these tumours, and think about radiation when they start growing again. Radiation causes problems, especially at the brain stem where these two are, so they want to wait as long as possible. They said it would have been "devastating" to me had they attempted to remove them completely. I am quite satisfied with what was accomplished. Medical staff told me this tumour was very "twisted and tangled" around many crucial nerves at the brain stem. I feel very, very lucky and I am super grateful to my neurosurgeon for the fabulous job he did! Thank you for thinking of me!
    ...See More
  • lindac
    12 years ago

So glad things are going well!
    And while not a walk in the park, chemo and radiation are not as bad as your fears.
    Of course every chemo drug has different side effects and radiation beats you down progressively the more treatments that are given it also beats down any stray cancer cells...
    I gained 20 pounds on chemo and radiation....nothing tasted good, so I kept trying things...LOL!
    Hang in there....lots of people have walked in your shoes.
    Linda C...12 years a survivor.

• User
    12 years ago

Carol, I'm also glad that you are doing well. I love your amazing upbeat attitude. Sending good thoughts your way.

Ann

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I'll be glad to help in any way I can. Good luck and smooth sailing.

Think about some of your favorite foods and start there. We are here and can try to add to that.

Nancy

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Carol, I know you will get a lot of support from the CF members; I can only wish you well in your continued recovery. You sound pretty brave and upbeat. Keep it up.

Cathy

• loves2cook4six
    12 years ago

Hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery. Hoping too that the nausea won't be too bad.

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

Carol, my husband went through chemo but no radiation. For the first 3-4 days after chemo, he was exhausted and slept most of the time. He ate light--home-made broth, come canned soups--anything he could keep down. After the 4th day, I would cook his favorite food with tasty smells. He would says he wasn't hungry, but he would wolf down the food. Like Linda, he gained weight during chemo.

If you are doing the cooking yourself, you might want to cook and freeze food during the time you are feeling well (primarily the week before the next treatment).

You've passed the first hurtle, good luck with your future treatments!

• caliloo
    12 years ago

I am also keeping you in my prayers - and hoping for a full recovery. I know when my dad was ill, the Ensure chocolate almond shakes were all he could keep down at times. Other times, he could eat whatever he wanted and not feel too badly at all. Hopefully, you find things that appeal and make you feel a little better!

Keep us posted!

Alexa

• lsr2002
    12 years ago

I'll be thinking about you also. Ginger can help, in ginger ale,powdered or grated ginger in small amounts in foods, crystallized ginger, and ginger capsules.

Ask your oncologist what has helped his/her patients.

Wishing you the best,

Lee

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

The medications for nausea are pretty good so once you find what works for you, you might not have a lot of problem with it. Ginger is also suppose to help. I found that I couldn't tolerate even the tiniest bit of chili pepper heat in foods.

Some of the chemo drugs can affect your sense of taste so foods you normally like won't taste right. Chicken soup or beef soup (broth with some meat and some vegetables) worked for me on days when most food wasn't appetizing. Staying hydrated is important on chemo and those help with that too.

Crackers and ginger snaps can also help - something to nibble on so that your stomach isn't empty.

I had chemo (Taxotere and carboplatin) followed by radiation for breast cancer. Radiation wasn't bad at all. My chemo was once every three weeks - I'd feel fine for 2 or 3 days after and then was very tired for some days. In the third week, I felt pretty close to normal. The down time lasted longer on later cycles.

If you do have trouble with nausea, make sure that they test your magnesium level. I had some problems with nausea control (more than most) and they didn't test magnesium until after the last chemo when they found it was very low. That was probably why I had very low energy and weak for the last few weeks.

It was surprising how fast the recovery was once chemo was all over - I felt I was over it after 4 weeks. It has been over 2 years now and it feels pretty distant.

I hope it goes well for you.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Hoping with everyone that your chemo does great for you and that it doesn't bother you too much. Ginger seems to work good for most. Lemon is another that does good for many. I don't like black licorice but that's another one that soothes for a lot of people after chemo. Will be thinking of you and sending good energy.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    12 years ago

I'll add my good wishes to you and hope you speed through the treatments. I had 5 months of chemo for breast cancer and then 6 weeks of daily radiation therapy. It's been almost 2 years ago. There still are foods I cannot tolerate - mostly things that taste smokey.

I would agree about the ginger being a great help - I kept candied ginger around, and steeped fresh ginger slices in hot water. Mashed potatoes, chicken pot pie, chicken soup, tapioca pudding, rice pudding, jello with bananas sliced in it, cottage cheese, yogurts, scrambled eggs and toast...those are things I remember being comforting to eat. And cheese pizza on days I felt good.

I hope it goes well for you.

seagrass

• jude31
    12 years ago

Brave, upbeat with a positive attitude. these are all excellent qualities that you seem to have, Carol. I will add my prayers and good wishes for a good recovery. I had breast cancer surgery, double mastectomy, but no chemo or radiation so I have no experience or advice about that but others seem to be very willing to share their experiences. I do think a positive attitude is everything.

Good luck and I too hope it goes well for you.

jude

• cookie8
    12 years ago

I agree with Jude - a positive attitude will work wonders with your recovery and peaceful rest. I am sure it is hard when there is so much on your mind but you sound like you are already there. I also like to drink peppermint tea, not sure if it does much but it's relaxing. Good luck and good health.

• Islay_Corbel
    12 years ago

I had my last radio therapy last Thursday after 5 months of chemo and 26 radio sessions. Breast cancer. I agree that the anti-sickness drugs are so good now that hopefully you won't feen sick at all.
    Good luck and keep your chin up. Everyone lives chemo differently - one day at a time and be kind to yourself!!!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Just to add to what has been said....I took compazine for about 4 to 5 days after chemo. I had no nausea and after the 3 rd treatment decided to quit the compazine after 2 days....thought it was maybe contributing to the sluggishness. I woke at 2 AM dashing for the bathroom.....and decided that the compazine worked really well!
    So....if it's presecibed....take it....and if not and you are nauseous, ask for some.
    Linda C

• janet_ks
    12 years ago

Carol,

Sending prayers, well wishes and support your way!! In 2008, I went through 6 months of chemo (11 treatments) and 6 weeks of radiation. Chemo varies depending on what drugs you're on and also from person to person so you may need to just wait and see how you feel. I had very little nausea, but on the rare occasion that I did, the anti-nausea drugs worked great. I've always battled my weight and happily lost 10 lbs during chemo, but have put on about 40 since!! I had problems with proteins not tasting good (especially beef products) and pretty much lived on fruit smoothies with protein powder added. Some people regain their appetite for things they couldn't eat during treatment and some people don't.

Your attitude sounds great and will carry you a long way during your treatment -- keep up the good work and remember that every year, more and more people are surviving cancer. I never imagined that I'd be diagnosed at 45, but I never once thought of it as a death sentence...I just knew I could beat it. Keep us posted and remember that we're here when you need us.

Janet

• compumom
    12 years ago

Hi Carol,
    I have nothing to add but my best wishes to you for a complete recovery! I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope that you are able to transition through chemo without too many side effects.
    Ellen

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Carol, I wish I had a suggestion for non-queasy cooking, but I've never had to deal with that. I suffer from seasickness, and ginger ale helps, but mostly I stay off boats!

I think your great attitude will help you through more than anything. Just want to let you know I am rooting for you.

• dlynn2
    12 years ago

Carol, glad to hear you are feeling well. I just had returned from the University of Virginia where I had radiation on my brain tumor a few weeks ago. I have two tumors (meningiomas). One was removed surgically 7 years ago, but has grown back and is now inoperable. I'm hopeful that this radiation will stop the growth. What type of tumor do you have? I will be glad to answer any questions you or your family may have during your recovery. You'll be in my thoughts.

• ilovetn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dedtired

I can sure relate to the seasickness thing. While in Alaska on a tour boat to see whales I had never been so sick. The captain came and told me there was a whale and I told him, "No thanks. I'll go home and watch Free Willy."

dlynn

I had a glioblastoma grade IV. Not a good one to be sure, but I am hopeful and ready to start the treatment. God is still in control and He was not surprised. I know He loves me and will not forsake me. Thank you for your willingness to advise. I may be looking for advice! :-)

• dlynn2
    12 years ago

My uncle and also my neighbor had GBMs so I am very familiar with those as well. I wish you well, and if there is anything at all I can help you with just ask.

• sally2_gw
    12 years ago

I will keep you in my thoughts, but I don't know enough to be of help recipe wise. It looks like lots of others know what they are talking about. I hope it all continues to go well for you.

Sally

• dlynn2
    12 years ago

This might be something to keep you going through your chemo and radiation. David Bailey was diagnosed with a GBM in 1996 and was told he only had about 6 months to live. He proved everyone wrong and lived a very productive life as a singer/songwriter and only recently (just a few months ago) lost his battle with his brain tumor. Here's a link to David's bio, blog and music. He was a wonderful guy, and a great spokesperson for brain tumors.

Here is a link that might be useful: David Bailey

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Carol, so glad that you're doing okay! I do have a veggie soup recipe I posted on here that might be good for you. It freezes wonderfully! Since it is summer, popsicles would be a perfect snack for you (I'm eating one now so that's what made me think of it)! You're right about everyone being generous on the forums! You're in our thoughts and prayers!

Brad AKA Moonwolf