SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kacram

Susan__Ont.... remember she had brain tumors?

kacram
10 years ago

Do you remember Susan? She used to post here a bit. She was diagnosed with two different kinds of brain tumors a while back. She had one removed a year or two ago. And at that time, decided to wait on the other tumor until it was absolutely imperative it came out. Well, it continued to grow, but they were worried about deafness and/or blindness, so the doctor agreed to wait until after Christmas. Well, she had her craniotomy yesterday, for that second cancer.

Here is what her daughter sent in an email.....
Susan's craniotomy good update! This is from her daughter.....
" She got out of surgery around 7 and the doctor seemed happy about how things went. There was a tumor wrapped around the part responsible for swallowing and also wrapped around a bunch of nerves. He got out most of it, but had to leave some in as support. We were told there were no complications though. He didn�t think there would be any damage and some of her issues should show improvement as she recovers, although of course we have to wait and see.?/"

It's too bad he had to leave some of it, but it's great news. When planning the surgery, they were concerned with deafness and or blindness. This is great news

Comments (31)

• lindaohnowga
    10 years ago

Thanks Kat for the update. Keeping Susan in my prayers.

And how are "you" doing?

• angelaid
    10 years ago

Bless her heart. That is great news!

• angelaid
    10 years ago

Bless her heart. That is great news!

• gadgets
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for letting us know. I put her on my prayer list when she wrote about having surgery on Feb 26 in the thread What is Happening in Your Neck of the Woods? I will keep on praying for her total recovery/health.

Shirley

• sleeperblues
    10 years ago

I didn't realize that Susan was having surgery until Tuesday, when she texted me during our Words game. She has been in my thoughts and prayers, and I'm wishing her well so she can get back to kicking my butt! Thanks, Kat, for the update.

• Kathsgrdn
    10 years ago

Such a lousy day at work today, can't say I've been thinking about her today as I had too much to think about...but am glad to hear she is doing so well! Thanks for letting us know.

• FlamingO in AR
    10 years ago

All my best thoughts to another Susan! I sure hope she has a super speedy recovery!

• chisue
    10 years ago

Yes, I do remember but wasn't very up to date on this. I'm very happy her prognosis has improved. Hope her recovery is not difficult and that this will give her many more years with family...and at the KT!

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

Thank you for the update. I wasn't aware she was having surgery again, but I have been keeping her in my prayers since she first posted about the tumors, and will continue.

Tami

• heather_on
    10 years ago

Adding my prayers for a quick recovery.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Here's to a speedy and painless recovery, Susan!

• cheryl_ok
    10 years ago

Prayers for Susan and her loved ones.
    Thanks for the update

• susanjf_gw
    10 years ago

so wonderful to hear good news!

• sandiefl
    10 years ago

This sounds so hopeful. I am keeping Susan and her family in my prayers.

• sjerin
    10 years ago

How wonderful to see this! I remember she had an upcoming surgery, but didn't know when nor what it involved. Such great news. Recover quickly and easily, Susan!

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

Thanks for passing on the news of Susan's recent travails.

I'm pleased to hear such good news ... and hope that the small part left may not cause trouble later.

I'm sending good thoughts and hopes for as complete and uneventful healing as may be possible. Plus offering some prayers for Susan and her family.

ole joyful

• User
    10 years ago

Susan and I are friends on FB. I love reading her posts about her family and her health.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I'm glad the surgery went well and I'll say a prayer for her.

• User
    10 years ago

She is home now and resting comfortably. :)

• susan_on
    10 years ago

I'm ba-aack!

The surgery was a "relative success". My double vision is gone, my balance and ataxia are improved. My hearing has been reduced by the surgery, BUT it was expected that I would lose all hearing in the left ear, so that's a win. I can't taste "sweet", so everything tastes funny (bad), even fruit, since I can't pick up natural sweetness either. The worst part is I have a great deal of trouble swallowing, so I can't eat much because I choke, and sometimes I choke on my saliva (hope I'm not grossing anyone out).

The swallowing and maybe the ataxia should improve, but I will have care of some sort provided to help me out. I'm so glad I was able to get such excellent care so close to home. Several people wanted me to go to California for this surgery, as it's a very difficult, highly skilled procedure, but I feel I have the best surgeon possible. The staff at the hospital were super nice!

Having said all that, two small pieces of the tumour had to be left behind. I was super sick after surgery because the "nausea and vomiting" centre of my brain were bruised and damaged, according to the surgeon. But I'm mending now and I am NOT having surgery again...lol.

• gadgets
    10 years ago

It's so good to hear from you, Susan. I have you on my daily prayer list so thought of you every day. Even though not all the news you wrote about is good news, the overall picture sounds good. Do you have to have chemo or any other treatment? I wish you the best of everything and hope you're feeling at least a little better each day.

Shirley

• susan_on
    10 years ago

I do feel better every day, Shirley. And my symptoms will probably improve for at least another week. I think at this time they are just going to monitor these tumours, and think about radiation when they start growing again. Radiation causes problems, especially at the brain stem where these two are, so they want to wait as long as possible. They said it would have been "devastating" to me had they attempted to remove them completely.

I am quite satisfied with what was accomplished. Medical staff told me this tumour was very "twisted and tangled" around many crucial nerves at the brain stem. I feel very, very lucky and I am super grateful to my neurosurgeon for the fabulous job he did!

Thank you for thinking of me!

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

Oh Susan so glad to hear from you. I have you and your family on my prayer list!!

• susan_on
    10 years ago

Thank you!!

• heather_on
    10 years ago

Waving hello to you and giving you a big hug. I'm so glad that the surgery went as well as possible. Take it easy and get your strength back and also hope those taste buds soon can recognize sweet again.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

Glad to hear that you have come through the surgery so well. Continued success in your recuperation. So sweet does not taste good. That could mean a big change in your preferred diet.

• chisue
    10 years ago

So sorry you had to go through all of this. I bet it was a LONG surgery.

Glad the results are so promising, and we are thrilled to hear from you again!

• bengardening
    10 years ago

MY prayers are going out to you and your family.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Susan, I'm so glad you were able to get this done here, instead of having to go to California!!!
    We do have top-notch surgeons here. When Mom was ill and in London Health Sciences, they had never seen her condition before and were wanting to take care of her. The hospital here didn't know what to do with her, so she was sent there.

Anyway, I'm so glad all went well, and that your side effects weren't quite as bad as they could be.
    High hopes for a full recovery, and getting your "sweet" taste buds back!!!!

• clubm
    10 years ago

((( Hugs)))

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

I'm so glad to hear your good news! Praying daily for more improvement for you
    Tami